Would I be able to ditch my e-bike on this commute

Found 25th Apr
I commute 6.5 miles each way 5 days a week, there is a about 2 short not too bad hills and 1 longer tough hill, on the way and just one tough hill on the way home (different route) the E-bike cuts out at 15mph and to be honest I don't put in any effort to get it higher seems like the bike is too heavy? or I'm unfit ... I'm 22 and 11.6 stone,

Google maps says it takes 40 minutes, Indo it in 30-35 minutes, is keeping up to 15mph on a road bike something that takes lot of training?
Community Updates
AskBikeElectric Bike
11 Comments
If your fitness level is generally ok, 15mph should be easily achievable. The hills are obviously a different story.
I'm not an expert in this field but I have worked with many cyclists. If you are going to be cycling a fair distance to work with a challenging cilmb, are there showering facilities at work when you get there? Where I worked there were, but if you were to set off on a hot summer day, would you want to get to work and have to work all day sweaty and claggy? Have you a friend you could borrow a bike off and have a practice on at the weekend? When I was your age (and I admit that was many thousands of years ago) I cycled everywhere and that speed seems possible. Go for it
You might struggle for a few days, but once you get into the swing of pedalling properly it'll be fine and you'll feel a lot better for it. 15 mph on a road bike is easy, and you'll really notice the difference when the bike is 1/3rd the weight.

Like PsychoBitch says, make sure you've got showers at work as it's no fun being sweaty.

Also, does your workplace do the Cycle to Work scheme as you can pick up a bike through that and save a fair bit of money
psychobitchfromhell16 h, 13 m ago

I'm not an expert in this field but I have worked with many cyclists. If …I'm not an expert in this field but I have worked with many cyclists. If you are going to be cycling a fair distance to work with a challenging cilmb, are there showering facilities at work when you get there? Where I worked there were, but if you were to set off on a hot summer day, would you want to get to work and have to work all day sweaty and claggy? Have you a friend you could borrow a bike off and have a practice on at the weekend? When I was your age (and I admit that was many thousands of years ago) I cycled everywhere and that speed seems possible. Go for it

Luckily where I get changed there is showers and yes I think borrowing a friend's would be a good option, I just bought the E-bike but just thinking about doing it for the excercise, would only ideally want to do it if I could do it in same time without killing my self energy wise
whelan18928 m ago

Luckily where I get changed there is showers and yes I think borrowing a …Luckily where I get changed there is showers and yes I think borrowing a friend's would be a good option, I just bought the E-bike but just thinking about doing it for the excercise, would only ideally want to do it if I could do it in same time without killing my self energy wise

They tell me summer is on the way. Nice way to start the day
Just bear in mind it might not be so much fun in the pouring rain/freezing cold.

When I commuted to work on a bike I found the real pain was maintaining the bike.
not really what you want to do at the end of the day ?

frankly I would find an alternative over the winter due to the huge amount of salt that gets poured on the roads if nothing else.
psychobitchfromhell15 m ago

They tell me summer is on the way. Nice way to start the day

Very true it does wake you up fully/pedal start the day
Wongy1106 m ago

Just bear in mind it might not be so much fun in the pouring rain/freezing …Just bear in mind it might not be so much fun in the pouring rain/freezing cold.When I commuted to work on a bike I found the real pain was maintaining the bike.not really what you want to do at the end of the day ?frankly I would find an alternative over the winter due to the huge amount of salt that gets poured on the roads if nothing else.

Good thing is though, bikes are very forgiving. I know they are a lot more technologically advanced than in my day, but there isn't that much to go wrong. The instruction book for my car has 456 pages I got bored reading it about page 20. Hate cycling in the rain. Time for the bus or the car share if you've no car
psychobitchfromhell8 m ago

Good thing is though, bikes are very forgiving. I know they are a lot more …Good thing is though, bikes are very forgiving. I know they are a lot more technologically advanced than in my day, but there isn't that much to go wrong. The instruction book for my car has 456 pages I got bored reading it about page 20. Hate cycling in the rain. Time for the bus or the car share if you've no car

Oh trust me if it can be broken I can do it.

one thing cycling is is cheap get a tame bicycle repair man/woman(never met one unfortunately)
is my advice and get it checked over twice a year.
Wongy1102 m ago

Oh trust me if it can be broken I can do it.one thing cycling is is cheap …Oh trust me if it can be broken I can do it.one thing cycling is is cheap get a tame bicycle repair man/woman(never met one unfortunately)is my advice and get it checked over twice a year.

I can fix most things i break. Not ankles obviously.
psychobitchfromhell13 m ago

I can fix most things i break. Not ankles obviously.

Yeah ankles,knees,wrists are a pain.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants