Would installing a new hard-drive in my laptop void the warranty?

Found 31st Jul 2009
I have a dell 1737 and am getting Dell to replace my faulty 250gb hard-drive next week. Im wondering if i bought a solid state hard-drive and used that as my main one and use the 250gb one as a secondary one, would this void my warranty of the whole thing?

Is there a way i can arrange a dell technician to install something so i can keep the warranty? if so how and how much!

4 Comments

Doubt it would - the hard disk is a CRU (customer replaceable unit) and there is no seal to break to show it's been swapped. Would cost a lot to get Dell techie to swap the disk it's not money well spent IMO. Swap the disk yourself and keep the other to put back if really necessary (which it prob won't be).

When I was upgrading my PS3 disk, I checked the website and doing that did not invalidate the warranty. Check your Dell small print, it will prob be the same.

tallpete33;5899406

Doubt it would - the hard disk is a CRU (customer replaceable unit) and … Doubt it would - the hard disk is a CRU (customer replaceable unit) and there is no seal to break to show it's been swapped. Would cost a lot to get Dell techie to swap the disk it's not money well spent IMO. Swap the disk yourself and keep the other to put back if really necessary (which it prob won't be).When I was upgrading my PS3 disk, I checked the website and doing that did not invalidate the warranty. Check your Dell small print, it will prob be the same.

Sony do encourage you to upgrade the memory on the PS3, but that is not the case with a PC or a Laptop, totally different device and situation, the first thing you need to do is call Dell to ask them, different Companies have different policies, HP will void the warranty unless you have a certified HP dealer install the HD, as will Medion (as i found out to my cost), Contact Dell @ 0844 338 1000, comp techs are not stupid they can tell if a machine has been opened, it doesnt take much, and they are the same as insurance companies, if they can find a way to get out of it they will,.

Better to be safe than sorry,

I have a Dell laptop and its only one screw holding the drive bay in.

Original Poster

i chatted to dell online and they said if i buy the hard-drive and use their technical support over the phone the warranty will remain... does that sound right?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition821053
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
    3. Enter to win an iPhone X Anker competition33
    4. Win £500 worth of goods from RAF Museum's shop66

See more discussions