Would my dented car fail an mot?

LocalFound 25th Sep 2015
Hi all. Stupidly smashed the side of my car into a pole when cornering. Just wondering if this would fail an MOT because of the body damage. Will post pictures in comments.
Community Updates
AskCarMot
18 Comments
Original Poster
http://www.4gp.tw/ba3k/1443189841470.jpg][IMG] http://www.4gp.tw/ba3k/1443189841470.jpg[/URL][/img]
No reason to fail an MOT with that
depends on the MOT tester IMO, the black plastic would cause damage to a pedestrian if you caught them
Pitch^^

depends on the MOT tester IMO, the black plastic would cause damage to a … depends on the MOT tester IMO, the black plastic would cause damage to a pedestrian if you caught them

This ^

If the tester deems the trim to be an issue they'll fail it, but the metalworks seems OK, you could either remove the trim, stick it back down or duct tape over it if you're feeling ghetto.
Is the structural pillar behind the door bent, or is there any damage to the beam that makes up the door sills?
Original Poster
Not sure, at work at the moment so will check when I'm home.

There appears to be damage to that back wheel bearings though as the car has a wobble when going over bumps and the steering wheel is lop sided when going straight? I'm not a car man, just wondering if its worth fixing.
worth fixing is about age etc of motor.. depending on car you might get replacement parts from scrap yard
i agree that black plastic I think would cause a failure, is it me or is it just an illusion but is that back wheel still straight?
as other have said, the trim sticking out well need to be removed. your wheel balance had been affected so that will fail. you should get that checked out as it won't be safe and will damage your tyres.
Pauladin91

Not sure, at work at the moment so will check when I'm home.There appears … Not sure, at work at the moment so will check when I'm home.There appears to be damage to that back wheel bearings though as the car has a wobble when going over bumps and the steering wheel is lop sided when going straight? I'm not a car man, just wondering if its worth fixing.

In that case, the car is dangerous and you shouldn't be driving it
bluetba

i agree that black plastic I think would cause a failure, is it me or is … i agree that black plastic I think would cause a failure, is it me or is it just an illusion but is that back wheel still straight?

Doesn't look straight to me either hence the car is crabbing
I hadn't spotted the wheel, get a better picture of the side of the car up so we can see if it's out of line.
Original Poster
I'm not. I meant worth fixing as in get rid and get another. I'll take a few more photos. Going to take it to a garage later but I have a deep distrust for them as they can basically charge what they like Lol
The trim may cause it to fail so as suggested stick it down or remove it, The wheel wobble is dangerous and you shouldn't be driving it. Could be bent wishbone, Trackrod end, Damaged suspension, Wheel bearing etc...

We're unlikely to diagnose that via the internet, You'd be best getting it checked at your nearest garage, Just remember though, It's not just your safety at risk, It's other people, Your car in it's current state could cause an accident.
Are you fully comprehensive insured? I believe that you don't loose all your ncb if you claim, and it depends on how much your excess is.Your insurer will tell you where to take the car for inspection
Original Poster
I am fully comp but not going through insurance. I've taken it to a garage and they just said to replace the whole rear axle so I've bought another. They are saying labour will be 150 if not more. Does that sound reasonable?
Pauladin91

I am fully comp but not going through insurance. I've taken it to a … I am fully comp but not going through insurance. I've taken it to a garage and they just said to replace the whole rear axle so I've bought another. They are saying labour will be 150 if not more. Does that sound reasonable?

Changing a rear axle isn't that hard as such, but there WILL be lots of bolts that haven't been touched throughout the life of the car and freeing them off can take time, the brakes usually need to be bled too as the flexible pipes pass through metal mounts on the axle itself so they have to be removed and the brake back plates/wheel bearings have to be transferred, so £150 sounds fairly good for the labour.
Edited by: "andymagic" 27th Sep 2015
Original Poster
I found a garage that will do it for 90 quid...3 hours work. So going to go with that. Cheers for the help folks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants