Would Powerline Adapters help with my PS4 wireless lag issues?

Found 20th Mar 2016
hi, I have my PS4 in my bedroom on a wireless connection, but keep getting lag issues, low connection bars, while playing multi-player games, esp Black Ops3. Would Powerline Adapters help? if so any good Recommendations, thanks
Community Updates
AskPowerline
24 Comments
I would be inclined to say no as the issue is most probably with your actual internet itself...why dont you try connecting the ps4 directly to the router with a network cable before you purchase powerline adaptors which may or may not work. Hope this helps.
Maverick77

I would be inclined to say no as the issue is most probably with your … I would be inclined to say no as the issue is most probably with your actual internet itself...why dont you try connecting the ps4 directly to the router with a network cable before you purchase powerline adaptors which may or may not work. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it did improve things, but i cant keep the PS4 downstairs and i just wondered if the Poweline Adaptors actually worked and would they work over the distance from my bedroom to my router, i don't want to spend £25-£30 only to find i get the same connection speeds as wireless..
Have you checked the speeds of the router with a pc? Then change the channel to get the best speed etc? Ie check each channel
westy125

Have you checked the speeds of the router with a pc? Then change the … Have you checked the speeds of the router with a pc? Then change the channel to get the best speed etc? Ie check each channel

thanks, but I don't want to mess with the router settings in case I mess it all up, i am not to hot on things like that, i would prob find it hard connecting Powerline adaptors!
I ran a 30mtr cable from my router up in to the ceiling through a hole where my central heating pipes come through , up through the floor boards and in to my PC which is in the room above. I couldn't see the cable.
Is this a possibility ? Think it only cost me £5-£6
malnuman

thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it did improve things, but … thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it did improve things, but i cant keep the PS4 downstairs and i just wondered if the Poweline Adaptors actually worked and would they work over the distance from my bedroom to my router, i don't want to spend £25-£30 only to find i get the same connection speeds as wireless..

​Powerline adaptors definately do work but like another post says the problem could simply be that your WiFi is occupying the same bandwidth as a neighbour... definately worth exhausting all other options before forking out.
westy125

Have you checked the speeds of the router with a pc? Then change the … Have you checked the speeds of the router with a pc? Then change the channel to get the best speed etc? Ie check each channel

westy125

just ran a speed test on my lappy, it said 15.7mb download speed
The power line adapters do work so unsure what these people are talking about, my wifi gave the ps4 about 6gb in a bedroom (so lag and video buffering all the way) Power line adapters give 21gb, I get about 39gb at the router. I am also not using the adapters properly as I have them plugged into extension leads, when I plug it into the bedroom into a direct socket I gain about 4gb, never been bothered to mess at the router as 21gb is good for gaming and streaming.
richje100

I ran a 30mtr cable from my router up in to the ceiling through a hole … I ran a 30mtr cable from my router up in to the ceiling through a hole where my central heating pipes come through , up through the floor boards and in to my PC which is in the room above. I couldn't see the cable.Is this a possibility ? Think it only cost me £5-£6

​I remember my uni days before WiFi, back then we had one router in a mate's room and threw network cable out of the window to connect 4 of us so we could play quake lol.
Maverick77

​I remember my uni days before WiFi, back then we had one router in a m … ​I remember my uni days before WiFi, back then we had one router in a mate's room and threw network cable out of the window to connect 4 of us so we could play quake lol.

Remember dial up, if the phone rang (which it did before mobiles) it killed the Internet. LANing a couple of original xboxes on Halo 2, highlight of my gaming career
Maverick77

​I remember my uni days before WiFi, back then we had one router in a m … ​I remember my uni days before WiFi, back then we had one router in a mate's room and threw network cable out of the window to connect 4 of us so we could play quake lol.

Remember dial up, if the phone rang (which it did before mobiles) it killed the Internet. LANing a couple of original xboxes on Halo 2, highlight of my gaming career
Crem0

The power line adapters do work so unsure what these people are talking … The power line adapters do work so unsure what these people are talking about, my wifi gave the ps4 about 6gb in a bedroom (so lag and video buffering all the way) Power line adapters give 21gb, I get about 39gb at the router. I am also not using the adapters properly as I have them plugged into extension leads, when I plug it into the bedroom into a direct socket I gain about 4gb, never been bothered to mess at the router as 21gb is good for gaming and streaming.

thanks, sounds promising, can I ask which adapters you have, are they 500mbps ones? they seem most popular and a good price on amazon
malnuman

thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it did improve things, but … thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it did improve things, but i cant keep the PS4 downstairs and i just wondered if the Poweline Adaptors actually worked and would they work over the distance from my bedroom to my router, i don't want to spend £25-£30 only to find i get the same connection speeds as wireless..

as someone with now vast experience in this....go on the interweb to a site called ebay buy a 20m ethernet cable, a pack of cable grips and a small hammer for £9 then proceed to cable your ps4 direct to your router and you can do it tidy by running it under carpets etc where possible.

other things you can do:
open ports on your router (use google or portforward.com plenty of answers there)

Enable DMZ on your router and put your ps4 MAC address it basically opens all ports through to your ps4 allowing quicker connection

set up a static ip address as your probably on a dynamic one (you can do this yourself or ring your isp and they will probably do it it will cost you a fiver.

assign your ps4 a static ip address (easily done through the custom network setup) again if nervous use google.

download a program called namebench to your pc, make sure its connected hardwired to your router and run it it takes about 20 mins but will tell you the optimum Primary and secondary DNS for you to put on your ps4 (or switch to googles instead of sonys: primary DNS 8.8.8.8 secondary 8.8.4.4)

other things you can do...reset your router 30seconds before you start playing. turn off all wireless on as many devices as you can

if your the bill payer and your over 18 and struggling with anything let me know in PM

Jonwilkie

as someone with now vast experience in this....go on the interweb to a … as someone with now vast experience in this....go on the interweb to a site called ebay buy a 20m ethernet cable, a pack of cable grips and a small hammer for £9 then proceed to cable your ps4 direct to your router and you can do it tidy by running it under carpets etc where possible.other things you can do:open ports on your router (use google or portforward.com plenty of answers there)Enable DMZ on your router and put your ps4 MAC address it basically opens all ports through to your ps4 allowing quicker connectionset up a static ip address as your probably on a dynamic one (you can do this yourself or ring your isp and they will probably do it it will cost you a fiver.assign your ps4 a static ip address (easily done through the custom network setup) again if nervous use google.download a program called namebench to your pc, make sure its connected hardwired to your router and run it it takes about 20 mins but will tell you the optimum Primary and secondary DNS for you to put on your ps4 (or switch to googles instead of sonys: primary DNS 8.8.8.8 secondary 8.8.4.4)other things you can do...reset your router 30seconds before you start playing. turn off all wireless on as many devices as you can :Dif your the bill payer and your over 18 and struggling with anything let me know in PM

thanks for that, I will try some of these when I have the house to myself, so I can concentrate and no one is here hogging the wifi. I have stepkids with Xbox's, phones etc and they are never off them..
malnuman

thanks for that, I will try some of these when I have the house to … thanks for that, I will try some of these when I have the house to myself, so I can concentrate and no one is here hogging the wifi. I have stepkids with Xbox's, phones etc and they are never off them..

no problem but if its that hectic id advise going straight away for DMZ as I did. Add me on ps4: JW-55
malnuman

thanks, sounds promising, can I ask which adapters you have, are they … thanks, sounds promising, can I ask which adapters you have, are they 500mbps ones? they seem most popular and a good price on amazon

I bought some cheap from Amazon at Christmas for £12 they were TRENDnet 500mbps and work fine
Powerline adaptors have worked great for my son's Xbox live connection. Used to struggle for a decent WiFi signal from the router which is downstairs up to his bedroom, through brick walls. Bought a two pack of TP Link adaptors from PC World for about £30, worth it for no messing about running cables all over the place. Works great.
my personal opinion is yes but I did change other stuff at the same time like DMZ but yes they do help
thanks for all the replies, I will expire this now, I have all the info I need, I will look at my DMZ, and will get the Adaptors also... thanks again, you all been a great help
Crem0

The power line adapters do work so unsure what these people are talking … The power line adapters do work so unsure what these people are talking about, my wifi gave the ps4 about 6gb in a bedroom (so lag and video buffering all the way) Power line adapters give 21gb, I get about 39gb at the router. I am also not using the adapters properly as I have them plugged into extension leads, when I plug it into the bedroom into a direct socket I gain about 4gb, never been bothered to mess at the router as 21gb is good for gaming and streaming.

I'm assuming you mean mb, and not gb. because that would be some serious networking you got there

anyway. I dumped the power lines I had, and went for full wired cat6 network through out the house, as the power lines were not suitable in my house.

this is were the problem lies with your question. nobody on here can answer it. there are so many variables when it comes to installing power lines that the only way to find out if they work for you, is to try them.

Edited by: "Deedie" 20th Mar 2016
Deedie

I'm assuming you mean mb, and not gb. because that would be some serious … I'm assuming you mean mb, and not gb. because that would be some serious networking you got thereanyway. I dumped the power lines I had, and went for full wired cat6 network through out the house, as the power lines were not suitable in my house.this is were the problem lies with your question. nobody on here can answer it. there are so many variables when it comes to installing power lines that the only way to find out if they work for you, is to try them.

You're right, missed that when typing. I think you're answer is spot on, when I bought the line adapters it was a risk but they're cheap enough to give it a go
Anything has to be better than the pile of **** wifi card the ps4 has my son gets 500kb on wireless and over 30mb with the Powerline adapters
mc_lines

Anything has to be better than the pile of **** wifi card the ps4 has my … Anything has to be better than the pile of **** wifi card the ps4 has my son gets 500kb on wireless and over 30mb with the Powerline adapters

Need some help?

If you read my post someway back I've listed everything you can do to help with speeds mate
Edited by: "Jonwilkie" 21st Mar 2016
just a quick update, I got some powerline adapters, and I opened my DMZ port on my sky router along with making a static IP addy for my PS4, now I have a much better connection speed, and my Black Ops 3 now has open nat :-) so thanks for all the replies and help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants