Would the Intel® Core™ i5-6200U be a hindrance when gaming?

Found 21st Jun 2016
I'm a casual gamer but I'd like to play the latest games on medium-low settings. I'm planning on buying a laptop for the gaming. The specs are:
i5-6200U
nvidia GTX950M
8GB DDR3 RAM
128gb SSD
1920 x 1080 screen

Full specs
ebuyer.com/737…90t
Community Updates
AskIntelIntel i5
11 Comments
What laptop is that? Asus ? Can you tell me the model number I am also looking to buy one soon
johhnysmithy1

Yep its an … Yep its an asushttp://www.ebuyer.com/737628-asus-k501ux-laptop-k501ux-dm190t

If you want little cheaper one go for this m.ebuyer.com/737627
Cons are no ssd
No full HD screen
Only up to 12GB ram upgrade
But you get Dvd writer on this and slightly cheaper with 940m graphics and 1tb hdd
Edited by: "Mihir95" 21st Jun 2016
Original Poster
I would much rather pay the extra £100 for the screen and ssd. I don't need much storage and I have an external dvd writer if I ever need one.
How come a laptop? just asking
I expect that the 950M GPU is more likely to be the bottleneck here than the CPU, especially if you're hoping to use native 1920x1080 resolution. What sort of games did you have in mind playing?
Original Poster
Need a laptop for uni but don't have the budget to build a pc and get a laptop. I don't mind playing with low graphics and the games aren't very demanding e.g. GTA V, rocket league, just cause 3
If you don't mind a refurb you can probably get a 960 and i7 for around the same. Found this from a quick look xsonly.com/col…967
Original Poster
Deaa

If you don't mind a refurb you can probably get a 960 and i7 for around … If you don't mind a refurb you can probably get a 960 and i7 for around the same. Found this from a quick look http://www.xsonly.com/collections/gaming-laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-y50-70-15-6-laptop-i7-4720hq-8gb-1tb-sshd-geforce-gtx-960m-2gb-w8-1-59444967

I don't mind refurbished but it is a bit bulky for my liking. I'd also have to replace the hard drive with an ssd because ideally I want no moving parts. Thanks for the help though, I think I will probably bite and get the asus. Doesn't seem like there is any hindrance from the dual core i5
johhnysmithy1

I don't mind refurbished but it is a bit bulky for my liking. I'd also … I don't mind refurbished but it is a bit bulky for my liking. I'd also have to replace the hard drive with an ssd because ideally I want no moving parts. Thanks for the help though, I think I will probably bite and get the asus. Doesn't seem like there is any hindrance from the dual core i5

I wouldn't imagine so. As long as your not expecting too much from the GPU it looks like a decent buy. I don't think you'll have any issues with the CPU
Original Poster
I'm only a casual gamer so this would be fine. Thanks for the help everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants