would this be a good buy ?

Posted 28th Dec 2019
looking for a laptop for uni student son , wondered what people thought about this , appreciate advice from those who know more about laptops than me
argos.co.uk/pro…984
Community Updates

Groups

5 Comments
4GB Soldered + 4GB DIMM DDR4-2400
Display15.6" FHD (1920x1080) TN 220nits Anti-glare.

The above are two things that are a negative for me. It's bad enough the ram is slow (Ryzen likes fast ram), but the killer is if you upgrade it will be in single channel.

I'm also not a fan of TN displays. While I can cope for VA I prefer IPS.
My default response to these laptop threads is used Thinkpad lol, that'd get you a T470 which will have much better build quality
as already said, not a great laptop.

too big, too heavy, poor battery life and TN display (but i can't see the display type in the argos spec)

you are better off with this one, which is 14 inch so smaller and easier to lug around campus. better battery life and better screen. costs a little bit more but you get a lot more for the the extra £50.

hotukdeals.com/dea…418
GAVINLEWISHUKD28/12/2019 19:29

but the killer is if you upgrade it will be in single channel.

Are you sure? Most systems will happily run dual channel with mixed capacities with little performance difference.

Although for most uses memory performance is irrelevant so to drop such a comment into a general thread you also need to explain the applications it's likely to make a noticeable difference in - it's not many.

The poorer viewing angles that come with a TN-type LCD panel in comparison to other types is also hardly a deal breaker for most people. Aspects like general screen quality (contrast, colour gamut) and brightness are much more influential.
mutley129/12/2019 12:09

as already said, not a great laptop. too big, too heavy, poor battery …as already said, not a great laptop. too big, too heavy, poor battery life and TN display (but i can't see the display type in the argos spec)you are better off with this one, which is 14 inch so smaller and easier to lug around campus. better battery life and better screen. costs a little bit more but you get a lot more for the the extra £50.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-14-dk0008na-14-laptop-3372418

thank you , I have now purchased this with £10 discount for new account .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants