Posted 30th Sep
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Lots of oak ! Buy it and chip them all down and sell the wood
ashmac30/09/2019 23:25

Lots of oak ! Buy it and chip them all down and sell the wood

But that involves work and I have enough of that. I have enough savings where I can pay for this, leave it for 10 years and hopefully get more for it than I would just leaving 15k in a bank or ISA for 10 years.
redcantona30/09/2019 23:35

But that involves work and I have enough of that. I have enough savings …But that involves work and I have enough of that. I have enough savings where I can pay for this, leave it for 10 years and hopefully get more for it than I would just leaving 15k in a bank or ISA for 10 years.

It'll need time and work to maintain it over the ten years and there's no guarantee of any profit, it's all purely guess work.
Dyslexic_Dog30/09/2019 23:44

It'll need time and work to maintain it over the ten years and there's no …It'll need time and work to maintain it over the ten years and there's no guarantee of any profit, it's all purely guess work.

It won't require any work or maintenance. It's a wildland. I'm simply wondering if it's a better investment than a ISA.
If I purchased I would actually camp there from time to time but that would be secondary to the investment side of it.
I think it would be a lovely place to go camp but you would have no facilities such as running water or a toilet. In ten years it will still be a lovely piece of land but that is all. There will be no prospect of getting planning permission to build on it and oak is incredibly long lived and slow growing so it's not likely you could take a crop off it. I cannot see how this investment could grow in value because you cannot add to its value. I think it is absolutely charming but it is only ever going to be a small piece of woodland. Investment wise, people would need to see how they could make some income from it to offset the investment. . This is wildwood not forestry plantation so I'm not sure that profit margin would exist. I don't own a wood so I can't speak from experience, but my guess is it will be worth the same in ten years as it is now.
redcantona30/09/2019 23:50

It won't require any work or maintenance. It's a wildland. I'm simply …It won't require any work or maintenance. It's a wildland. I'm simply wondering if it's a better investment than a ISA.If I purchased I would actually camp there from time to time but that would be secondary to the investment side of it.

Description

Nether Wood is a beautiful woodland of primarily mature oak, though here and there throughout there are other species such as rowan, the European ash, sycamore and the occasional mature willow tree growing along the edges. The oak are of a nice quality and are quite well spaced which is indicative of the good management that has taken place and there are some great trees growing here.

I reckon you would have considerably more chance of making money over the next 10 years by using your £15K to invest in one of these
Edited by: "OllieSt" 1st Oct
Best thing you can do is not put all your eggs in one basket
I can't see how it's going to increase in value.

It looks like a con to me as you can't do anything with it. If you could build a log cabin in it then you could get rent it out. But you can't even do that.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 1st Oct
m1keyp1key01/10/2019 12:55

I can't see how it's going to increase in value. It looks like a con to me …I can't see how it's going to increase in value. It looks like a con to me as you can't do anything with it. If you could build a log cabin in it then you could get rent it out. But you can't even do that.

It's not a con. I would use it for camping. Maybe learn something about forestry and in 10 years when I retire sell it on for a small profit.
I'm just not sure if there is a profit in it or how easy it would be to sell.
It's a con.

The land has zero value as you can't do anything with it.
psychobitchfromhell01/10/2019 04:17

you would have no facilities such as running water or a toilet.

Take a jerry can of water and become a bear for toilet needs.
There are much better ways of getting wood than this
'One could quite conceivably imagine owls and buzzards gliding silently among the treetops searching for rodents scampering along the woodland floor'.

38584728-bYde1.jpg
redcantona01/10/2019 13:11

It's not a con. I would use it for camping. Maybe learn something about …It's not a con. I would use it for camping. Maybe learn something about forestry and in 10 years when I retire sell it on for a small profit.I'm just not sure if there is a profit in it or how easy it would be to sell.

Have a look if it's still for sale in a week. If it is, there's your answer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants