Groups

Would this tyre (26" x 1.85) fit my wheel (700 x 38c)?

Banned
    Why is it so complicated?

My old tyre states 700 x 38c and am interested in a couple of these

chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…231

Any help appreciated. Thanks

17 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Thanks Shane. Any idea what the 32-38 Measurements actually mean? The 700 doesnt match the diameter of my tyre either
    bizarre why there are so many different variations.

I need a couple of good cheap road tyres for my Trek 7300 as I keep getting a lot of punctures so i wouldnt want semi-slicks.

Original Poster Banned

BTW, these are my current tyres and they still have what looks like a reasonable amount of tread (3 years old though).

I must get about a puncture every 30-40 miles of use! I inflate to 65psi (max stated is 75psi)

chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…219

check the inside of the tyre for holes from previous punctures...

make sure everytime you go out they are hard, keep them at 70 or so if max is 75 IMO.

from a google search:
    700 refers to the theoretical rolling diameter of the tire in millimeters.
    28 refers to the theoretical mounted and inflated width of the tire in millimeters.
    c is supposed to be a measure of rim width as in a, b, c, d like in shoes, but in real life it has a stronger relationship to the rim diameter.

All of those measurements (except bead diameter) have a liberal amount of wiggle room. For example you can easily eyeball the differrence in width of many 700c rims. You can make minor changes in tire width, but I'd never try to use a tire that was narrower than the rim.

Original Poster Banned

jackvdbuk;7141483

check the inside of the tyre for holes from previous punctures... make … check the inside of the tyre for holes from previous punctures... make sure everytime you go out they are hard, keep them at 70 or so if max is 75 IMO.from a google search:700 refers to the theoretical rolling diameter of the tire in millimeters.28 refers to the theoretical mounted and inflated width of the tire in millimeters.c is supposed to be a measure of rim width as in a, b, c, d like in shoes, but in real life it has a stronger relationship to the rim diameter.All of those measurements (except bead diameter) have a liberal amount of wiggle room. For example you can easily eyeball the differrence in width of many 700c rims. You can make minor changes in tire width, but I'd never try to use a tire that was narrower than the rim.

Brill! Thanks for the advice. Repped :thumbsup:

oops, sorry. i went to work so never replied. but jack says was right, tho i would said it more laymens terms lol.

Also, as for punctures, high psi does help but to really be sure get some slime liners. i swear by em. about £6 a wheel, they are guaranteed to prevent punctures. if something goes through, slime will replace the tube and the liner apparently. never had to try myself, as mine have never let me get a puncture!

Original Poster Banned

shanecr;7147443

oops, sorry. i went to work so never replied. but jack says was right, … oops, sorry. i went to work so never replied. but jack says was right, tho i would said it more laymens terms lol.Also, as for punctures, high psi does help but to really be sure get some slime liners. i swear by em. about £6 a wheel, they are guaranteed to prevent punctures. if something goes through, slime will replace the tube and the liner apparently. never had to try myself, as mine have never let me get a puncture!

Thanks but I have presta valves and apparently slime is only for shraeder valves :cry:

csiman;7148839

Thanks but I have presta valves and apparently slime is only for shraeder … Thanks but I have presta valves and apparently slime is only for shraeder valves :cry:

no no no no no :roll: lol

Slime liners! far better than that messy junk inside your tubes
    ]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412874ZP18L._SS500_.jpg

Original Poster Banned

shanecr;7149467

no no no no no :roll: lolSlime liners! far better than that messy junk … no no no no no :roll: lolSlime liners! far better than that messy junk inside your tubes]

but they dont fit my 700 x 38c :?

Original Poster Banned

Would this fit my tyres (700 x 38c)?

buybikesnow.com/442…tml

thanks

csiman;7149635

Would this fit my tyres (700 x … Would this fit my tyres (700 x 38c)?http://www.buybikesnow.com/442/Slime-700c-Puncture-Proof-Wheel-Liner.html thanks

yup :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

cool - thanks

as my tryes have some tread left, I guess its better to get two of these for £12.79 delivered then buy two new tyres for £20...............?

csiman;7150802

cool - thanksas my tryes have some tread left, I guess its better to get … cool - thanksas my tryes have some tread left, I guess its better to get two of these for £12.79 delivered then buy two new tyres for £20...............?

hmmm. depends. are your current tires perished anywhere?

Original Poster Banned

shanecr;7151835

hmmm. depends. are your current tires perished anywhere?

they seem to be in pretty good nick all round

I'll go with the tyre protectors as I expect I can put them in new tyres too at a later date.

Thanks.

csiman;7160508

they seem to be in pretty good nick all roundI'll go with the tyre … they seem to be in pretty good nick all roundI'll go with the tyre protectors as I expect I can put them in new tyres too at a later date.Thanks.

yup, you can reuse em, my set have lasted many years
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions