Groups

Would VGA to DVI to HDMI actually work?

I was wondering if it is possible to use this monitor with a PS3 : Samsung SM2343NW

Would it be possible to use a VGA to DVI connector and then a DVI to HDMI lead?

Or would the PS3 quite simply reject it?

Tim

6 Comments

Original Poster

My queries have been answered lol... (from AVForums)

HDMI is a digital signal, VGA is analogue, you can't convert from one to another with just cables.

The DVI-VGA options you see are mostly for connecting DVI-I to VGA as DVI-I carries the analogue signal required, if you go HDMI->DVI->VGA you will not get a picture.

HDMI->VGA convertors do exist but they are not cheap.

I figured anologue and digtial signals wouldnt work together.

Well that saved me typing that. Also the ps3 doesn't scale 2048x1152 well. Get a 1920x1080 monitor with a digital input.:thumbsup:

no you have it wrong as you are going FROM ps3 -> Samsung TV.

PS3 is outputting, and therfore is providing the HDMI signal.
    This can be adapted to a DVI connector
    and in turn stripped to analogue using DVI-VGA adaptor.

walla... your TV can now display upto 1920x1080 as set on the PS3.

Or, you could buy a cable similar to this:
    amazon.co.uk/Pre…e_2

combined with:
    amazon.co.uk/SVG…1-5

sunpreet;6775731

no you have it wrong as you are going FROM ps3 - Samsung TV.PS3 is … no you have it wrong as you are going FROM ps3 -> Samsung TV.PS3 is outputting, and therfore is providing the HDMI signal.This can be adapted to a DVI connectorand in turn stripped to analogue using DVI-VGA adaptor.

Err.....NO! the HDMi output of the PS3 is digital and the VGA input of the monitor is analogue. No amount of adaptors can fix that fundamental difference.

Krosus;6776049

Err.....NO! the HDMi output of the PS3 is digital and the VGA input of … Err.....NO! the HDMi output of the PS3 is digital and the VGA input of the monitor is analogue. No amount of adaptors can fix that fundamental difference.

true, a convertor would though I think.

Benjimoron;6776069

true, a convertor would though I think.

Such converters are pretty expensive (and basically a false economy).

'DVI' outputs (on graphics cards etc) are usually DVI-I, which has both a digital (DVI-D) and analogue (DVI-A) output combined. The cheap adapters that convert this to VGA simply rewire the analogue output. HDMI is a solely digital interface, so whilst its also possible to convert DVI-I to HDMI (and HDMI back to DVI-D) using a simple adapter, converting HDMI to VGA isn't so straightforward!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767173
      2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2527
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1946
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423514458

See more discussions