Groups

Would you be happy if a Spanish player represented England?

I'm of course talking about the goalkeeping crisis in the England set up, with James being past his peak, Robinsons butter fingers and the rest just isn't ready yet, so would it be wise to call up a Spanish GK that has only been a regular for the past year throughout his entire career or is it wise to use his services until the up and coming crop of talent reach there potential?

56 Comments

Which Spanish keeper?

Torn between the 2 really.

Heart says no ... english players should be ENGLISH but head says yes .... would do anything to see England lift the world cup in my lifetime!!

teambintip;4786679

Which Spanish keeper?

Almunia

The best of the rest really.
    Maybe Ben Foster should be getting a blooding in the friendlies.

Banned

Almost every team has foreign players so I wouldn't see how english could see it as a problem as they already have a foreign coach. Especially when you are struggling in the goalkeeping department

Even the english cricket team had a south african captain last year.

I dont see how we are that desperate we need Almunia

The problem is we have no experienced goalkeepers of a decent age. James was crap until he was over 30 but we dont have anyone less than 10 years behind him thats anygood at the mo.

We have a good crop of young Goalkeepers
    Foster
    Carson
    Kirkland
    Joe Hart

I think we should get Foster in goal and get him established for the World Cup, am sure he would be Uniteds number one were it not for Van der Sar, James is a good back up.

Banned

They should give Rob Green a chance

I think it is wrong that Almunia should play for us... of course it would be nice to have the best chance, but it feels like cheating.

Maybe we should give a young player a chance to step up to the occasion

Paddy Charlie;4786730

They should give Rob Green a chance

Good shout with Green, Great shot stopper, only problem is his weight (same as Robbo)

Isnt Cudichini eligable to play for england too? I'd replace anyone from the england squad with someone else if they were better and we didnt have to put up with watching the usual overpaid, under-achieving nancy boys.

Banned

having a foreign keeper would ruin the image of the England national team, when James puts his boots up, i think foster should be given a chance, he can play if he has the opportunity to.

Original Poster

DJNG22;4786721

I dont see how we are that desperate we need AlmuniaThe problem is we … I dont see how we are that desperate we need AlmuniaThe problem is we have no experienced goalkeepers of a decent age. James was crap until he was over 30 but we dont have anyone less than 10 years behind him thats anygood at the mo.We have a good crop of young GoalkeepersFosterCarsonKirklandJoe HartI think we should get Foster in goal and get him established for the World Cup, am sure he would be Uniteds number one were it not for Van der Sar, James is a good back up.

You're right about James, as he was a decent keeper but was too prone to mistakes, which seems to be the case with Robinson as well, so maybe he'll improve on his game with age.

I don't think any of the 4 keepers are ready to be an England regular right now all with little experience...would you honestly be happy that all the best teams in the world world has worldclass keepers and Englands would be a youth back up?

the cricket side often fields foreigners

i agree foster is the new no 1, no mention of green ?

Hopefully Van Der Sar (sp?) drops dead listening to his own dull voice soon, then Ben Foster can get a run in the Manure team and show what he can do. He looks like the best option at the moment, the others English keepers ALL have huge question marks over them.

Original Poster

myaser88;4786919

the cricket side often fields foreigners i agree foster is the new no 1, … the cricket side often fields foreigners i agree foster is the new no 1, no mention of green ?

I think Green is probably Englands best hope at the moment and I'm surprised he doesn't have more caps...I actually wanted Arsenal to sign him a couple years ago.

I don't think it'd be a massive deal if almunia represents england but if we're going to have a foreign fella, why not cudicini?
    great keeper IMO, very experienced and less prone to howlers than almunia.

Banned

Cudicini is struggling to get his game ahead of that diddy Gomez at times so doubt he'd make england set up

Original Poster

czar.nik;4786969

I don't think it'd be a massive deal if almunia represents england but if … I don't think it'd be a massive deal if almunia represents england but if we're going to have a foreign fella, why not cudicini? great keeper IMO, very experienced and less prone to howlers than almunia.

Cudicini was a fantastic keeper but sadly, as soon as Cech was bought, he was never going to get more than the odd game...goalkeepers really need regular game time to reach there potential...I do think Cudicini of a few years ago was better than Almunia of today but who is better today?

I really used to dislike Almunia, especially after the Champions League final winning own goal (the shot was going wide until he deflected it in) but he rarely makes mistakes now and does do some good saves.

For the first time since Arsenal reached the Champions League final without conceding a goal for longest period, I'm confident in our goalkeeping abilities.

Paddy Charlie;4786983

Cudicini is struggling to get his game ahead of that diddy Gomez at times … Cudicini is struggling to get his game ahead of that diddy Gomez at times so doubt he'd make england set up

he was wasted at chelsea big time. made a huge howwler recently, hence being replaced by gnomez . .

as for arsenal , that austrian(cannae recall name) was the most underrated keeper they've had.

realfriendlyman;4787010

Cudicini was a fantastic keeper but sadly, as soon as Cech was bought, he … Cudicini was a fantastic keeper but sadly, as soon as Cech was bought, he was never going to get more than the odd game...goalkeepers really need regular game time to reach there potential...I do think Cudicini of a few years ago was better than Almunia of today but who is better today?I really used to dislike Almunia, especially after the Champions League final winning own goal (the shot was going wide until he deflected it in) but he rarely makes mistakes now and does do some good saves.For the first time since Arsenal reached the Champions League final without conceding a goal for longest period, I'm confident in our goalkeeping abilities.

now theres a problem SCORING goals lol
    I do wish that numpty wenger would spend some money sometimes. I admire his philosophy but english football is a different animal to what it was a few years back.
    then again, even a few years back he atleast bought SOME players over the age of 16.... lol

Original Poster

myaser88;4787064

he was wasted at chelsea big time. made a huge howwler recently, hence … he was wasted at chelsea big time. made a huge howwler recently, hence being replaced by gnomez . . as for arsenal , that austrian(cannae recall name) was the most underrated keeper they've had.

I think you're talking about Alex Manninger, who was a great keeper when Seaman was out for a while but he slowly started looking a bit poor behind the scenes, which is the only reason Wenger was desperate to get rid of him, even when the club we sold him to tried to give him back...what was that about? :?

czar.nik;4787078

now theres a problem SCORING goals lolI do wish that numpty wenger … now theres a problem SCORING goals lolI do wish that numpty wenger would spend some money sometimes. I admire his philosophy but english football is a different animal to what it was a few years back.then again, even a few years back he atleast bought SOME players over the age of 16.... lol

That was a while ago...we're now a free scoring team again and all our attacking superstars are now starting to come back.

Did you see that report that shows that in the last 5 years, Man Utd and Liverpool has spent around £78m more than they've sold, chelsea well over £120m and Arsenals was a poultry £3.4m...knowing this fact, I'm really surprised Arsenal are anywhere near there level, let alone in the same league.

myaser88;4787064

he was wasted at chelsea big time. made a huge howwler recently, hence … he was wasted at chelsea big time. made a huge howwler recently, hence being replaced by gnomez . . as for arsenal , that austrian(cannae recall name) was the most underrated keeper they've had.

manninger?
    to be fair he was pretty shocking on the odd occasions they gave him a chance.
    and seaman was doing well at the time.
    he's suddenly got good in the last few years though! can't remember where he was playing though...

Did you see that report that shows that in the last 5 years, Man Utd and … Did you see that report that shows that in the last 5 years, Man Utd and Liverpool has spent around £78m more than they've sold, chelsea well over £120m and Arsenals was a poultry £3.4m...knowing this fact, I'm really surprised Arsenal are anywhere near there level, let alone in the same league.

yeah that was crazy! but then again, liverpool and chelsea have really overspent the past few years, and on flops!

man utd have bought a few shockers too....
    seriously, 30m for berbatov?
    17m for nani? (who only seems to remember how to play football against derby and a select few rubbish teams)

but then again, man u are actually quite shrewd in their player deals.
    nani and anderson were bought for a PROJECTED 40m between them, but that was based on appearances, goals, intl appearances etc. i think the initial outlay was only a few million, maybe 5 each at most.
    same thing with the two serbian fellas we bought in january.

still, even though man u spend, at least they buy quality.
    liverpool seem to throw money at awful players, with the exception of torres, reina and perhaps a few others. the rest of the liverpool team are amazing on their day but amazingly inconsistent!

I'm sorry, yes I'm a woman so perhaps many would say I should keep out of this sort of thing, but isn't the national team called "England", if we were called "International" then it would be OK but the whole point of the world cup etc is different countries playing against each other to see who's the best, if we haven't got a decent goalkeeper to put in then that's our tough luck and we'll probably lose as usual. If we start putting foreigners in our team then everyone else will and these Cups will become a farce - although having said that, other countries don't need foreigners in their teams to win!!

Annie1508;4787217

I'm sorry, yes I'm a woman so perhaps many would say I should keep out of … I'm sorry, yes I'm a woman so perhaps many would say I should keep out of this sort of thing, but isn't the national team called "England", if we were called "International" then it would be OK but the whole point of the world cup etc is different countries playing against each other to see who's the best, if we haven't got a decent goalkeeper to put in then that's our tough luck and we'll probably lose as usual. If we start putting foreigners in our team then everyone else will and these Cups will become a farce - although having said that, other countries don't need foreigners in their teams to win!!

having foreigners in your team isn't exactely unusual....
    the majority of the french national team isn't really french... they're all from french africa or other random places (e.g. portugal/spain - pires) but when they won the euro and world cup no-one seemed to mind!!!

Original Poster

Annie1508;4787217

I'm sorry, yes I'm a woman so perhaps many would say I should keep out of … I'm sorry, yes I'm a woman so perhaps many would say I should keep out of this sort of thing, but isn't the national team called "England", if we were called "International" then it would be OK but the whole point of the world cup etc is different countries playing against each other to see who's the best, if we haven't got a decent goalkeeper to put in then that's our tough luck and we'll probably lose as usual. If we start putting foreigners in our team then everyone else will and these Cups will become a farce - although having said that, other countries don't need foreigners in their teams to win!!

I do agree with you to an extent (not about the woman part because some women are more clued up in sport than the most diehard men :)) but you have to bare in mind that nearly every nationality has players that are from abroad, including Spains Marcos Senna playing a crucial role and the Brazilian Eduardo looking like the most prolific goalscorer to grace Croatia.

Bare in mind that several players that play for France are actually African and French by second nationality, so why shouldn't we also benefit if others are, therefore giving them an unfair advanctage.

if you were talking about putting a world class keeper like Buffon, Casillas, Peter Cech in goal then there maybe a valid point, but Almunia is an average keeper at best!! Id take Robert Green or Ben Foster over Aluminium any day of the week!!

Original Poster

czar.nik;4787176

yeah that was crazy! but then again, liverpool and chelsea have really … yeah that was crazy! but then again, liverpool and chelsea have really overspent the past few years, and on flops!man utd have bought a few shockers too....seriously, 30m for berbatov?17m for nani? (who only seems to remember how to play football against derby and a select few rubbish teams)but then again, man u are actually quite shrewd in their player deals.nani and anderson were bought for a PROJECTED 40m between them, but that was based on appearances, goals, intl appearances etc. i think the initial outlay was only a few million, maybe 5 each at most.same thing with the two serbian fellas we bought in january.still, even though man u spend, at least they buy quality.liverpool seem to throw money at awful players, with the exception of torres, reina and perhaps a few others. the rest of the liverpool team are amazing on their day but amazingly inconsistent!

Fergies signings can be very hit and miss, if you look at all the flops he's bought over the years, it's unbelivable and that's including big money signings...the signings that are generally successful are record breaking transfers such as Ferdinand at around £29m, Rooney and Berva at over £30m each, Carrick and Hargreaves at £18m each and many more and not to mention Tevez is a loan signing.

Liverpool are inconsistant as well and Rafa really doesn't give some of those players a real chance to adapt before selling them on...he seems to have an Italian mentality where if they're not setting the league alight within the first season, then they can play there trade elsewhere and he's happy to make a loss, just to put the money towards his eventual replacement.

You forgot to mention Chelsea or was the list of disasters too long to list? :giggle:

Original Poster

Cantona_7;4787279

if you were talking about putting a world class keeper like Buffon, … if you were talking about putting a world class keeper like Buffon, Casillas, Peter Cech in goal then there maybe a valid point, but Almunia is an average keeper at best!! Id take Robert Green or Ben Foster over Aluminium any day of the week!!

All those keepers you mentioned are the worlds best but unfortunately, they're already indespensible to there own country...I wish England could produce something similar and we really haven't been able to replace Seaman.

Almunia has really improved a great deal in the last couple months, he actually looks very solid and can make some underrated wonder saves.

Green is good but nothing more at the moment, I would say he needs to move to a bigger club before he will be regarded as anything more but it seems West Ham are starting to hit form.

Foster is definitely the future but needs to oust Van Der Saar before we can talk about him properly, as we were all saying the same about Scott Carsson and look what happened with him.

Kirkland has been voted the best goalkeeper in the premier league, i know he has back problems but he is still better than all the rest.

realfriendlyman;4787307

Fergies signings can be very hit and miss, if you look at all the flops … Fergies signings can be very hit and miss, if you look at all the flops he's bought over the years, it's unbelivable and that's including big money signings...the signings that are generally successful are record breaking transfers such as Ferdinand at around £29m, Rooney and Berva at over £30m each, Carrick and Hargreaves at £18m each and many more and not to mention Tevez is a loan signing.Liverpool are inconsistant as well and Rafa really doesn't give some of those players a real chance to adapt before selling them on...he seems to have an Italian mentality where if they're not setting the league alight within the first season, then they can play there trade elsewhere and he's happy to make a loss, just to put the money towards his eventual replacement.You forgot to mention Chelsea or was the list of disasters too long to list? :giggle:

no, i didn't include them as i thought my post was getting long enough!! lol

chelsea, god what can we say about them!
    they bought players right at their peak and won the competitions....
    the trouble with buying players right at their peaks is that the peak doesnt normally last long and you tend to be left with a bunch of 30-somethings pulling in huge pay packets and being carp..... a la stamford bridge these days!
    the only great younger players they had they sold!
    why buy shaun wright phillips for 21m, park him on the bench and then sell him back for half that?! stupidity!
    and more importantly, why sell your best winger!!! arjen robben was a thorn in the side of even the best premier league defences so why they sold him is beyond me!

so, to conclude, chelsea = bad management, bad decisions and a hierarchy that isnt used to being at the top and has no idea what to do to STAY on top.

to be fair though, if you're talking about overspending on average players, you'd have to put half the premier league in there!
    sunderland (spent the GDP of a small nation last year and STILL fighting relegation), Tottenham "This is gonna be our year" Hotspur (spent at least as much as some of the big four over the last few seasons and yet still nowhere or thereabouts) and many others that i cant be a**ed to think of

milly2306;4787386

Kirkland has been voted the best goalkeeper in the premier league, i know … Kirkland has been voted the best goalkeeper in the premier league, i know he has back problems but he is still better than all the rest.

Kirkland doesnt tend to last enough of the season to be considered for england.
    he picks up an injury far too often and is out far too long.... i know he's just unlucky in that regard but if the england number one got injured in the first few matches of qualification or even of a major tournament, that'd be no good would it?

realfriendlyman;4787352

All those keepers you mentioned are the worlds best but unfortunately, … All those keepers you mentioned are the worlds best but unfortunately, they're already indespensible to there own country...I wish England could produce something similar and we really haven't been able to replace Seaman.Almunia has really improved a great deal in the last couple months, he actually looks very solid and can make some underrated wonder saves.Green is good but nothing more at the moment, I would say he needs to move to a bigger club before he will be regarded as anything more but it seems West Ham are starting to hit form.Foster is definitely the future but needs to oust Van Der Saar before we can talk about him properly, as we were all saying the same about Scott Carsson and look what happened with him.

I certainly wasnt saying the same with Scott Carson lol, i never rated him ever!!

I think Foster looks much the better keeper. When he went on loan at Watford he played the whole season and was voted their "Player of the Year" and has looked very impressive on his limited United appearences.

As for Rob Green i have always thought he looks like a solid, dependable keeper with a good head on his shoulders. Just seems to have been a bit unfortunate with injuries.

As for Alumunia, granted he has looked more solid recently, but i still dont think he is better than the other goalkeepers i have mentioned, and certainly isnt a long term option.

Original Poster

czar.nik;4787417

no, i didn't include them as i thought my post was getting long enough!! … no, i didn't include them as i thought my post was getting long enough!! lolchelsea, god what can we say about them! they bought players right at their peak and won the competitions....the trouble with buying players right at their peaks is that the peak doesnt normally last long and you tend to be left with a bunch of 30-somethings pulling in huge pay packets and being carp..... a la stamford bridge these days!the only great younger players they had they sold! why buy shaun wright phillips for 21m, park him on the bench and then sell him back for half that?! stupidity!and more importantly, why sell your best winger!!! arjen robben was a thorn in the side of even the best premier league defences so why they sold him is beyond me!so, to conclude, chelsea = bad management, bad decisions and a hierarchy that isnt used to being at the top and has no idea what to do to STAY on top.to be fair though, if you're talking about overspending on average players, you'd have to put half the premier league in there!sunderland (spent the GDP of a small nation last year and STILL fighting relegation), Tottenham "This is gonna be our year" Hotspur (spent at least as much as some of the big four over the last few seasons and yet still nowhere or thereabouts) and many others that i cant be a**ed to think of

Robben was fantastic and easily one of the best players in the premier league but he was strugging to remain fit, I still would of kept him though.

Sunderland spent loads because they would always finish bottom of the league every time they returned to the premier league, so they needed to vastly improve their squad...even if it meant paying over the odds.

Spurs...well...what could I say, they've always said they'd be in the champions league for the last 10 years...still waiting to see it in my lifetime though. :giggle:

milly2306;4787386

Kirkland has been voted the best goalkeeper in the premier league, i know … Kirkland has been voted the best goalkeeper in the premier league, i know he has back problems but he is still better than all the rest.

by whom???? id love to know your source!!!

better than Cech and Van Der Sar? you must be joking!!!

Original Poster

Cantona_7;4787449

I certainly wasnt saying the same with Scott Carson lol, i never rated … I certainly wasnt saying the same with Scott Carson lol, i never rated him ever!! I think Foster looks much the better keeper. When he went on loan at Watford he played the whole season and was voted their "Player of the Year" and has looked very impressive on his limited United appearences.As for Rob Green i have always thought he looks like a solid, dependable keeper with a good head on his shoulders. Just seems to have been a bit unfortunate with injuries.As for Alumunia, granted he has looked more solid recently, but i still dont think he is better than the other goalkeepers i have mentioned, and certainly isnt a long term option.

I agree with everything you've said there and if Almunia was drafted in, it definitely wouldn't be considered a long term option...just until Englands younger players (mainly Foster) can become a regular at United. :thumbsup:

I feel he could do better than James at the present time though.

realfriendlyman;4787472

I feel he could do better than James at the present time though.

to be fair, the way david james plays sometimes (and the way scott carson has played in every england appearance to date), one of us would be about as much good as them in goal!

It's Reina who has won the golden glove the last 2/3 seasons. Kirkland is nowhere near the best goalkeeper in the league.

I'm not sure what to do about the 'keeper crisis. Put a foreignor in one slot, and soon you'll be adding others. Arteta, for example, is still uncapped so could play for England.

The only thing to do is make do with James at the moment, and look to the future with Ben Foster/Scott Carson

realfriendlyman;4787472

I agree with everything you've said there and if Almunia was drafted in, … I agree with everything you've said there and if Almunia was drafted in, it definitely wouldn't be considered a long term option...just until Englands younger players (mainly Foster) can become a regular at United. :thumbsup:I feel he could do better than James at the present time though.

you're probably right that he could do a better job at the present time, but for all the upheaval and divided opinions it would cause to have a non-english player in our squad i dont think it would be worth the hassle for a short term fix to a longer term problem, especially as i cant see him making a massive difference.

i cant see the downside of arteta playing for england........ he'd solve our left sided crisis
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!543727
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767112
      3. word association Game73844438
      4. PC Gamers - Steam Friends?933

See more discussions