Groups

Would you buy a £500+ TV with only a 1 year warranty?

As title. I've seen claims of EU law etc. But seems a faff!

Example is the Sony deal which is the hottest today!

20 Comments

Bought a £1799 TV with a year warranty 3 years ago. Nearly time for an upgrade

Where from? Brand/model?

Search up the model to see if anyone has had any issues...

Don't see why not. I've never had to claim on a warranty with anything I've bought. Maybe I've just been lucky...

A Bugatti Veyron Super Sport costs £1.9m and only gets 2 years warranty!

But in perspective my first flat screen TV (720p) cost £2000 and only came with 1 year warranty.

Big warranties are pretty new. The reason why they exist on many things is they are more reliable than they used to be so the warranty cover costs the business very little extra to offer.

I have always just got the one year manufacturer warranty. I only buy reputable brands like Samsung, LG, Sony though.

Or buy from John Lewis and get extended warranty.

You can even buy an extra 5 year warranty package which gives benefits from 3rd parties. Depends on how lucky you feel.

If there's a decent discount over the equivalent item with a longer warrant, yes,definitely.

Every TV, HiFi, BluRay/DVD/video player I've ever owned has either lasted over 5 years or was upgraded before that point.
    Edited by: "spoo" 6th Sep 2016

I don't care about warranty...only standard warranties on all my purchases (TV cost £1899, Monitor Audio System- £2959, iMac 5K - £1600. etc.) and never ever had a single problem in 25 years total. Extended warranties just for fools.

spoo

If there's a decent discount over the equivalent item with a longer … If there's a decent discount over the equivalent item with a longer warrant, yes,definitely.Every TV, HiFi, BluRay/DVD/video player I've ever owned has either lasted over 5 years or was upgraded before that point.

Same, I wouldn't pay more to get a longer warranty. I think of extended warranties like insurance - somebody has done the calculation that on average, you will pay them more than they will pay you. So get them if it would be a hardship should you have to pay for a new one, but otherwise save your money. For a £500 TV, if I'm unlucky and it breaks after 2 years, well it's annoying I'd have to get a new one but no big deal. To be honest I'm not very trusting in the ability of warranties to help you anyway - after a year or so I'd expect them to find every reason to weasel out of it, or make you wait 3 months while they send it to China or something.

Edited by: "Muir" 6th Sep 2016

Rimi

I don't care about warranty...only standard warranties on all my … I don't care about warranty...only standard warranties on all my purchases (TV cost £1899, Monitor Audio System- £2959, iMac 5K - £1600. etc.) and never ever had a single problem in 25 years total. Extended warranties just for fools.

"Extended warranties just for fools"

I disagree. I've had several policies, like for the Xbox 360 and my TV's. Most of which I've had to claim on. I've saved a fortune in the long run.

I do however think that you need to be careful what you buy them for, I've been very particular. Also now most stores like John Lewis offer long warranties included I would be persuaded to purchase from them in future rather than paying for an extended policy.

mutley1

I have always just got the one year manufacturer warranty. I only buy … I have always just got the one year manufacturer warranty. I only buy reputable brands like Samsung, LG, Sony though.

Not sure I'd call Samsung 'reliable' - I'm still a little bitter after my old £1000 40" LCD died three years in, because Samsung had rigged it to fail by installing 10v capacitors all through the power supply, despite the board clearly stating that it was a 12v circuit. The issue affected thousands of sets across the entire line up, and Samsung's official response was to charge £150 for repairs.

Time bombing their hardware seems to be a company policy that continues to this day.

Ask Richer Sounds to price match and get a 6 year warranty.

1 year warranty is complete and utter poopsicle for a TV, a £500 one at that.

If you buy it from John Lewis or Richer Sounds you get 5 years as standard. Richer sounds is pretty competitive price wise as well, the warranty is just something to sweeten the pot.

My relative bought a TV from Richer for around £700 and after a few years the screen developed issues, they stopped selling that model so gave him the full price he paid for it in vouchers and he ended up buying a brand new 4k TV without paying anything extra, which I assume came with 5 year warranty, but even if it didn't, that's still great customer service.

I know someone who bought a cheap Samsung TV, paid in Euros - it arrived from France and had an EU plug attached, he had to go out and source his own plug and i'd imagine warranty issues would become a nightmare, gladly he hasn't had any problems.

So no I wouldn't go and buy a TV with 1 year warranty or imported from another country, in order to save a few quid. Peace of mind and extra 4 years warranty are worth a small amount of money. And this is coming from someone who compares pennies when considering what is a better deal!

PenguinsForAll

1 year warranty is complete and utter poopsicle for a TV, a £500 one at … 1 year warranty is complete and utter poopsicle for a TV, a £500 one at that.If you buy it from John Lewis or Richer Sounds you get 5 years as standard. Richer sounds is pretty competitive price wise as well, the warranty is just something to sweeten the pot.My relative bought a TV from Richer for around £700 and after a few years the screen developed issues, they stopped selling that model so gave him the full price he paid for it in vouchers and he ended up buying a brand new 4k TV without paying anything extra, which I assume came with 5 year warranty, but even if it didn't, that's still great customer service.I know someone who bought a cheap Samsung TV, paid in Euros - it arrived from France and had an EU plug attached, he had to go out and source his own plug and i'd imagine warranty issues would become a nightmare, gladly he hasn't had any problems.So no I wouldn't go and buy a TV with 1 year warranty or imported from another country, in order to save a few quid. Peace of mind and extra 4 years warranty are worth a small amount of money. And this is coming from someone who compares pennies when considering what is a better deal!

Stupid quote...
    I have saved at least £2000 in 25 years on these crappy extended warranties, and even if something happens,thats more than enough to fix the problem. Fell sorry for those stupid people who buys extended warranties....

In reality you are covered for longer under sale. & supply of goods act. Don't buy an extended warranty but if JL / RS are close on price or will match then use them for A1 customer service & the 5/6 yr gtee

Extended warranties are a scam, A decent retailer will abide by the rules, That's what your consumer rights are for.

That money wasted on extended warranties could easily be put away towards fixing/replacing it in the worse case scenario.

Extended warranties are what they are. I've a richersound supercare warranty on my Sony Amp that cost me 10% of the product. That runs for 6 years and then if I don't claim I send off the policy within the 1st month after it expires and get the money back.

Extract from Richersound website.

If you use your 6 year Supercare, we’ll:

• Supply you with a free loan unit, so you never have to go without your music/films.
    • Replace any machine that cannot be repaired with a like-for-like equivalent.
    • Offer you free routine servicing and maintenance checks as often as you want.

Under consumer law after the 1st year you are only entiled to a repair or a refund and depending on age and condition this might be next to nothing. If I paid £2k for a TV is would get some sort of care agreement so if the TV broke I wouldn't be without a TV for a month.

Original Poster

Sorry, should have been clearer...I wasn't interested in paying extra for an extended warranty. I was more thinking of buying from JL or Richer Sounds who already offer a 5 year warranty as standard! Interesting that a lot of people not bothered about warranty!

vidic007007

Sorry, should have been clearer...I wasn't interested in paying extra for … Sorry, should have been clearer...I wasn't interested in paying extra for an extended warranty. I was more thinking of buying from JL or Richer Sounds who already offer a 5 year warranty as standard! Interesting that a lot of people not bothered about warranty!

Don't get me wrong. If the option to buy it from RS or JL then I will. If not then I'm not paying people like curry's for an extended warranty.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1828
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047107
      3. Has anyone purchased tickets from ViaGoGo or Seatwave? 138255
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927359

See more discussions