Expired

Would you buy a TV from Amazon Germany?

Found 16th Sep 2014
Would you buy a TV from Amazon Germany? if the price was quite a big cheaper than uk price? Say £85 saving on a £500 TV.

I'm just a little nervous about buying abroad? Though I do know quite a few people in HUKD get mobile phones and computer components from there.

---
It's a Sony TV, 40 inch W6 Bravia KDL40W605.

Currys is the only place in the UK that sells it, I have no idea why as there is no competition. They do it for £479.99, Amazon DE price inc del is 495EUR, which is £397 or thereabouts.
---
Community Updates
11 Comments
No don't do it. Honestly it's not worth the hassle. You'll feel the pain if you need to claim on the warranty.
jaydog69

No don't do it. Honestly it's not worth the hassle. You'll feel the pain … No don't do it. Honestly it's not worth the hassle. You'll feel the pain if you need to claim on the warranty.

would you have said the same thing if I asked about a mobile phone out of interest? because mobiles seem to get a lot of heat there. thanks
Also it depends on what you're planning on watching, as any free to air terrestrial or satellite tuners inbuilt will be tuned to German frequencies and satellites,which may or may not overlap with ours. Obviously if you're just using it for gaming, streaming or with a set to box you'll be fine from that perspective.
IndianaBlues

Also it depends on what you're planning on watching, as any free to air … Also it depends on what you're planning on watching, as any free to air terrestrial or satellite tuners inbuilt will be tuned to German frequencies and satellites,which may or may not overlap with ours. Obviously if you're just using it for gaming, streaming or with a set to box you'll be fine from that perspective.

I don't actually watch TV. So just concerned about reliability and damage from shipping etc. I'm not sure if it will pick up Freeview here or not, which might make it a bit harder to sell down the line, I suppose.
its easier to send a mobile off for repair compared to a tv !

just check if it has a european warranty, they may still cover the uk just check, what make is the TV ?
Save your self some worrying and just buy at Argos or similar.
I bought mine there. At the time I felt I need a massive telly.
Trust me, 40 inch LCD is big enough.
I recently tried buying one from Amazon.de, They dispatched it, However it got lost somewhere, I contacted them via email and they responded with a few hours offering a replacement or refund, Initially I opted for replacement however the estimated dispatch was November > December. Contacted them again and asked for a refund instead, They responded again within a few hours.

In the end bought a different model from UK but still impressed with their service, Just unfortunate it went out of stock.

It wasn't Amazons fault it got lost but they dealt with it as best the could.

I would buy again from Amazon.de, But not if I needed it asap.

As for warranty you're usually still covered by European warranty but not guaranteed you'd have to check with manufacturer.

Some tuners won't work, Some will but not in HD, Some have dual tuners, You'd have to check the specs of the tv's tuners, Also you'll need a plug adaptor or a different lead. Couple of quid on ebay.

I would of saved £180 on a tv so for me it was worth the saving.
deanos

its easier to send a mobile off for repair compared to a tv !just check … its easier to send a mobile off for repair compared to a tv !just check if it has a european warranty, they may still cover the uk just check, what make is the TV ?

It's a Sony TV, 40 inch W6 Bravia KDL40W605.

Currys is the only place in the UK that sells it, I have no idea why as there is no competition. They do it for £479.99, Amazon DE price inc del is 495EUR, which is £397 or thereabouts.
Edited by: "iamqwerty123" 16th Sep 2014
iamqwerty123

would you have said the same thing if I asked about a mobile phone out of … would you have said the same thing if I asked about a mobile phone out of interest? because mobiles seem to get a lot of heat there. thanks

The difference between buying a mobile or computer component abroad against a television is obvious, size.
I probably would. A uk plug doesn't cost much, and as far as I know most of Europe are on the same tv frequency. I have a mate who brought a tv over from Italy and it tuned in to uk freeview easily enough.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions