Groups

Would you contest a will?

After reading a news story about a daughter who is contesting her mothers will because she did not get left any money, due to a falling out lasting many years, i was wondering, would you ever contest a will of a loved one, if you felt 'hard done by'.

Is it right that people are allowed to challenge wills or should the will be the final word, whether the beneficiaries like it or not?

21 Comments

I would go mad if my parents left their millions to a cat home.

(p.s. my parents are poor)

Supermod

Yes, they definitely should be able to contest Wills. I base this on my experience in this area and the fact that people tend to dispute Wills usually when there has been influence from a family member on the testator.

I agree that wishes in a Will should be final (to a certain extent) but sometimes it usually is not their actual wishes when they have been talked around by another.

I think it is right that people be allowed to challenge them, but personally I never would, not just out of feeling hard done by anyway. If I felt the person had been conned into writing a will leaving everything to someone/institution/charity etc quite unexpectedly, then I probably would challenge it. Having said that, our entire family is quite frank about our wills, so we all know what's what before anyone goes do-lally or kicks the bucket.

Depends who theyleft it to.

If they left it to a dog/cat home then yes. I would argue they were not of sound mind.

Supermod

nikkib123

I would go mad if my parents left their millions to a cat home.(p.s. my … I would go mad if my parents left their millions to a cat home.(p.s. my parents are poor)

Our local popular animal charity that benefits from Wills is a donkey sanctuary and the amount of money they are left is an absolute joke.

magicjay1986

Our local popular animal charity that benefits from Wills is a donkey … Our local popular animal charity that benefits from Wills is a donkey sanctuary and the amount of money they are left is an absolute joke.

I can only imagine but I suppose these places only survive with these sort of fundings! Bet the owners go on some nice holidays and drive really nice cars

Supermod

nikkib123

I can only imagine but I suppose these places only survive with these … I can only imagine but I suppose these places only survive with these sort of fundings! Bet the owners go on some nice holidays and drive really nice cars

...that is EXACTLY the problem.

Well I already know what's in my parents will
    But if they decided to change then what ever their decision I would accept it, as it's their choice

If they had a falling out lasting many years, why does she think she's entitled to any of the money?

livingthelife07

Well I already know what's in my parents will But if they decided to … Well I already know what's in my parents will But if they decided to change then what ever their decision I would accept it, as it's their choice

You won't be saying that when they leave their money and house to the local donkey sanctuary

nikkib123

You won't be saying that when they leave their money and house to the … You won't be saying that when they leave their money and house to the local donkey sanctuary

Haha, as long as it doesn't go to donkeys, cats or dogs then I'm fine

If you write a will and you are in sound mind at the time of writing it, then I think it should be upholded. Otherwise what's the point in writing a will.

Luckily I know my parents will - split 3 ways - plus I live 4 doors up from their house, my sister lives 30 minutes away and my brother lives in Australia!!!!! Ha ha - think I could just about manage to change the locks in time!!

I personally wouldn't.....at the end of the day it's just money.

its entirely up to the individual who and where their money goes, I personally would not contest a will.

Banned

yes if I was missing out on any boxed lego

dog_cop

yes if I was missing out on any boxed lego

What if it's duplo

Banned

trog0

What if it's duplo

duplo is for kids .. so no

dog_cop

duplo is for kids .. so no

You won't be saying that when you get too old and athritic to play with real lego. It will be either Duplo or sticklebricks then (_;)

Edited by: "trog0" 10th Feb 2011

http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/life-size-lego-image_mus5t_59.jpg

DogCops family in happier times - before the fateful 'accident'

jelli89

DogCops family in happier times - before the fateful 'accident'

where is she going with her hand?

trog0

where is she going with her hand?

Maybe to replace the missing brick?!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE33
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764320
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814

See more discussions