Groups

Would you give a stranger a quid?

Well would you? If you met someone on the street and they asked you for £1 would you give it to them if you had it on you?

35 Comments

depends wat they look like...
    and also depends on my financial situation

.. no!

Depends if they'd give me 99p change. :-D

p.s - i think you need to rethink your plans for work

Syzable;4288745

Depends if they'd give me 99p change. :-D

lol good one

I wouldn't but I know my friends would.

Banned

give me a fiver ..NOW

Original Poster

Syzable;4288745

Depends if they'd give me 99p change. :-Dp.s - i think you need to … Depends if they'd give me 99p change. :-Dp.s - i think you need to rethink your plans for work

Damn! Busted! lol

yes - if they have to ask for money I find it very sad

http://www.giagia.co.uk/images/photos/2007/09/blaby_pound_coin.jpg

there you go, don't spend it all at once!

bargain surfer;4288822

there you go, don't spend it all at once!

FAIL?!

totally depends on how they ask it, if it was a street begger then perhaps not as signs up everywhere saying its illegal, but if it was someone who genuinely lost wallet or needed it for an emergency then definately

no :x ....................... :thinking: unless she was fit

hmmm what would you do if 10 people a day were asking you for £1...you have to draw the line somewhere.

i'd rather buy them chips if they were hungry, i gave someone £1 once and the next day i saw them doing it again and seems they were just getting the money to buy cigarette :x
    my bro gave someone £1 and they said could they have another one lmao

starsparkle2311;4288935

that is true, I aways gave to the same lad, hey he was good-looking, nice … that is true, I aways gave to the same lad, hey he was good-looking, nice lad:thumbsup:

errrrm fair enough if hes good looking :giggle:

I wouldn't give a stranger a quid. I slog hard for my money. Sod handing it over to someone who just 'asks'.

depends on the stranger and depends on the situation

Obviously you have to take many things into account.

The situation, how needy the current weather might make them, do they appear destitute?

Having considered all that - then obviously you would proceed to give them the money if she had good jugs.

Although years ago a man approached me in the street looking destitute and dirty - but was very well spoken.

He asked "do you have 10p for a cup of tea" - so I gave him the 10p - but it was a scam - as to this day I have never received that cup of tea.

Me and my girlfriend went to Paris via the Eurostar back in August as soon as we came of the Underground Rail System some french guy was speaking to us and I know he wanted 1 Euro and I just kept pretending I didnt understand was mildly amusing, I find it sad some people have to beg for money and thats why I wish there were more resources homeless people could get but at the moment i suppose it's what we have for people.

Have given loads of stuff on HUKD free to people.......and you're all strangers

Some stranger than others :whistling:

I'd ask if they had change for a fiver, (tenner, twenty, whatever) then if they had, I'd first get their change, pocket it, and then give them a quid back.

pretzel logic.

Yes, always...I read or heard something recently...
    " Treat everyone you meet like they are going to be dead at 12 o'clock that night "
    It helps me put things in to perspective. My favourite is - " A shroud has no pockets "
    :thumbsup:

Hell no i wouldnt!

winds me up when they say they need it to get a bus or train home, if i was flush and generous i'd love to walk them to the train station and get them a first class ticket somewhere else and watch get on and then wave them off.

dog_cop;4288763

give me a fiver ..NOW

paypal gift?

It would depend on the situation for me

Banned

depends on situation and what they look like

Depends on what they wanted it for, if they were just asking people for £1 for no reason then no, but if they needed bus fare home or something I would.

There used to be a big issue seller locally who was really friendly and out in all weathers. Got talking to him and found out he had kids but he couldnt see them because he had no place to live. One day he was really pleased and came over to us and told us that he was getting a flat, and he wouldnt have much furniture or anything but he didnt care because his ex said he could see his kids. We had an old portable tv we were getting rid of anyway, so we took it over to him later that day and he was soooooooo grateful! He said that the local charity shop had said he could have a few bits as well. The look on his face made it totally worth it. Managed to get a job once he had an address so havent seen him again, but I hope he still gets to see his kids.

i had too once when i was like 13, what a loser the guy was asking for a kids pocket money, anyway i wasnt going to but a quid fell out of my pocket and he picked it up, i couldnt ask for it back and give him 10p could i?

No, because I'd expect them to mug me as a thank you.

Or I would if I was in England...

Will someone give me a quid please? i accept cash, cheque or paypal gift hahaha

We always take unwanted clothes and stuff to the charity shops but I never give money to beggars. Years ago in Sri Lanka I came across a beautiful woman in lovely saree with lots of jewellery holding a mutilated emaciated baby towards me begging for 'food for the baby'. I had been told the mothers mutilate their own babies so they look more terrifying to foreigners and make them more likely to give. They hardly feed them and when they eventually die they have another and the cycle carries on. The only way to stop horrors like that is not to encourage them. Apologies if anyone found this unpleasant but its the reality of the worst side of begging.

I have given money in the past but don't do it habitually. it depends on the circumstances. I get really annoyed when meeting people in supermarket car parks who beg the pound refund when you return the supermarket trolley. Often these same people are able bodied and wearing the latest fashions. There used to be a 'tramp' who pushed a trolley around the streets some years back however and I often gave him change to get a cup of tea.

kingy58;4292528

We always take unwanted clothes and stuff to the charity shops but I … We always take unwanted clothes and stuff to the charity shops but I never give money to beggars. Years ago in Sri Lanka I came across a beautiful woman in lovely saree with lots of jewellery holding a mutilated emaciated baby towards me begging for 'food for the baby'. I had been told the mothers mutilate their own babies so they look more terrifying to foreigners and make them more likely to give. They hardly feed them and when they eventually die they have another and the cycle carries on. The only way to stop horrors like that is not to encourage them. Apologies if anyone found this unpleasant but its the reality of the worst side of begging.

i have heard similar stories in this country where ppl would drug a child so that he/she looks limp and sleepy whilst begging so ppl will be more likely to give as they feel sorry for the child.

Personally i wouldn't give money to a beggar. I have four children to support and every hour i have to be working is time away from them...that money is hard earned!!! As i'm self employed i've even worked through every day of my pregnancies and back to work again 5 days after my cesareans. That's my choice so i can give the kids all they need obviously, but i wouldn't give that money away lightly. My husband is way softer than i am though and has even let strangers into our home to use the phone and once jumped into a partly frozen lake, risking his own neck to save a struggling dog. The world is mad!!

ibiza;4289222

Obviously you have to take many things into account.The situation, how … Obviously you have to take many things into account.The situation, how needy the current weather might make them, do they appear destitute?Having considered all that - then obviously you would proceed to give them the money if she had good jugs.Although years ago a man approached me in the street looking destitute and dirty - but was very well spoken.He asked "do you have 10p for a cup of tea" - so I gave him the 10p - but it was a scam - as to this day I have never received that cup of tea.

LOL!

id rather put the £1 in a charity pot, althougth if it was a kid who needed it for bus home or summit like that i would
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery66
      2. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow919
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251372
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would31125

See more discussions