Would you guys be willing to buy “next gen” games ‘day one’ for ~£50+, at the same number of games bought this gen, or wait for a sale?

Posted 10th Jul
After the news from 2K that the next NBA 2K21 PS5/Series X game has an RRP of $70/~£50, speculation has become rife with standard next gen game prices rising.

Us guys on HotUKDeals throughout this current generation have been getting preorder deals for games around the £35-40 mark, prices only rising above £40 for most games closer to launch. However, recently (from Sony) there have been restrictions for retailers selling copies of the Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima restricting prices to above £40 at around the £45 mark (lowest I’ve seen since the restrictions this year was £39.99 for TLoUPII, and I haven’t seen a sub £45 price for Ghost of Tsushima afaik), so there is potential for publishers to restrict price drops before and during the launch period from retailers.

There has also been talk of publishers raising prices claiming reasons like “tougher development”, “inflation” and “not to include microtransactions or other predatory practices”. However, going back to the PS5 reveal at GDC by Mark Cerny he stated the PS5 has been manufactured to make development of games easier than the current generation and to develop games quicker? Regarding the “microtransaction” issue we all know the third parties have shareholders to satisfy and will very likely include them in games as well as the price increase.

Gaming is also the most profitable entertainment medium in the world making more profits year on year, and we all know the stories about the higher ups like Bobby Kotick and Andrew Wilson etc swimming in millions of dollars every year. Said higher ups and major players in the industry also form the board of the ESRB and also have major influence on PEGI, if they were to say no to a price increase and not include microtransactions in said games, I would literally eat my left nut and post a livestream of it on YouTube.

So, back to the topic at hand, would you be willing to regularly buy games at the same rate as current gen but at an increased price, or wait for sales of games to reach discounted rates we’ve seen this current gen?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
If they get rid of microtransactions / lootboxes in all but free to play games, sure. If not then they can do one.

Most are posting billions of revenue in the gaming industry. More so than the movie industry, so they aren’t losing money/going bust by any stretch of the imagination. This is all about wanting more money for shareholders.
27 Comments
I’ve made the decision to go digital for the next gen. I prefer digital, I don’t like discs and it looks like I’ll have to pay RRP for games when they come out if I want them which I’ll have no problem doing. I’ve only got back into gaming during lockdown, usually I just simply don’t have the time. I’d say I get through ( before Covid) 2-3 games a year plus a sports title. It’ll be me paying maybe a premium of £10-15 per game if I buy them at the £55 opposed to finding a £40 deal online. I find when I buy games digitally I know they’re mine and am more inclined not to rush them, opposed to me buying it and rushing through with the idea of flipping it and not losing much money. Went a bit off topic there I know but in answer to the question in hand, I’d be happy to pay £50 or £55 for the games I want and use my PS plus sub and PS now sub for filler games.
If they get rid of microtransactions / lootboxes in all but free to play games, sure. If not then they can do one.

Most are posting billions of revenue in the gaming industry. More so than the movie industry, so they aren’t losing money/going bust by any stretch of the imagination. This is all about wanting more money for shareholders.
No
I agree with the in game purchases, spending £60 is already enough for a game but these in game micro transcription are stupid, you can grind the game for hours every day yet come up short to a player who’s simply spent extra money in micro transactions, there’s no fun in that. Simply pay to win
I can honestly say I have never come across a game with micro transactions.

Is it more for multi-player games as I only play single player campaigns?
I don’t really understand the fuss about paying 60 for a game. Think about it like this - if two people go to the cinema, you’ll spend close to, if not more than £30 on tickets and snacks for roughly 2 hours of entertainment.

But you spend 60 on a game for 10/20+ hours of entertainment and everyone loses their minds...
Edited by: "ReecesWaffle95" 11th Jul
What does it matter. For every person who won’t pay the extra, they’ll be plenty of people who will. I probably won’t bother with next gen at all. I dare say others wont either but we won’t be missed
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 11th Jul
ReecesWaffle9511/07/2020 08:32

I don’t really understand the fuss about paying 60 for a game. Think about …I don’t really understand the fuss about paying 60 for a game. Think about it like this - if two people go to the cinema, you’ll spend close to, it not more than £30 on tickets and snacks for roughly 2 hours of entertainment.But you spend 60 on a game for 10/20+ hours of entertainment and everyone loses their minds...

£30 for two cinema tickets and snacks? London? IMAX? Most I’ve spent was £20 at a Cineworld IMAX including snacks, even less at my regular Odeon with iSense.
MrMaccieKFC11/07/2020 09:17

£30 for two cinema tickets and snacks? London? IMAX? Most I’ve spent wa …£30 for two cinema tickets and snacks? London? IMAX? Most I’ve spent was £20 at a Cineworld IMAX including snacks, even less at my regular Odeon with iSense.

My local cinemas are all Cineworld and it’s £10 for a standard adult ticket.
JumpMan198011/07/2020 09:13

What does it matter. For every person who won’t pay the extra, they’ll be p …What does it matter. For every person who won’t pay the extra, they’ll be plenty of people who will. I probably won’t bother with next gen at all. I dare say others wont either but we won’t be missed

I recently bought a new TV just so I am ready for the next gen.

Looking forward to it and yes I will buy day one initially.
TheBiker11/07/2020 09:28

I recently bought a new TV just so I am ready for the next gen.Looking …I recently bought a new TV just so I am ready for the next gen.Looking forward to it and yes I will buy day one initially.

You’ve raised a more important question there. Will anyone be going into the next gen with a 1080p
MrMaccieKFC11/07/2020 09:17

£30 for two cinema tickets and snacks? London? IMAX? Most I’ve spent wa …£30 for two cinema tickets and snacks? London? IMAX? Most I’ve spent was £20 at a Cineworld IMAX including snacks, even less at my regular Odeon with iSense.

Plus £10 for his date which includes a complimentary back row hand shandy
JumpMan198011/07/2020 09:33

You’ve raised a more important question there. Will anyone be going into t …You’ve raised a more important question there. Will anyone be going into the next gen with a 1080p

I might just to check if the graphical capabilities of my monitor are on point, if not though I’ll fork out for at least a 1440p IPS <5ms response Samsung monitor.
JumpMan198011/07/2020 09:35

Plus £10 for his date which includes a complimentary back row hand shandy …Plus £10 for his date which includes a complimentary back row hand shandy

Dressing it with the finest designer glove available
JumpMan198011/07/2020 09:33

You’ve raised a more important question there. Will anyone be going into t …You’ve raised a more important question there. Will anyone be going into the next gen with a 1080p

Not me.
I haven’t spent £50 on a game in decades.
There's only two games i've spent full price on this generation and they are Zelda Breath of the Wild and Ghosts of Tsushima.
As I still purchase games boxed, I tend to trade in games towards a new one (or unless there's a hot deal for something I'm after like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being reduced to £30 at Argos on launch). This means I usually pay a reduced price and next gen won't be any different, fortunately I've completed a few Nintendo Switch games which hold their value, so I still see me paying the usual price for games as I do currently.

I will only buy games full price next-gen (or on Switch) if I believe I will really enjoy it, so currently waiting on Halo Infinite game play and will be the same with the likes of God of War or Zelda.

Be interesting to see if Sony/Microsoft crack down on account sharing (as a lot of my friends are doing that and have mentioned whether they buy a digital console hinges on that) especially now that they have started next-gen with digital only consoles as opposed to waiting near the end
ReecesWaffle9511/07/2020 08:32

I don’t really understand the fuss about paying 60 for a game. Think about …I don’t really understand the fuss about paying 60 for a game. Think about it like this - if two people go to the cinema, you’ll spend close to, if not more than £30 on tickets and snacks for roughly 2 hours of entertainment.But you spend 60 on a game for 10/20+ hours of entertainment and everyone loses their minds...

So using your logic then of pay per hour, you’ll be happy paying between £150/£300+ per game? No?
Biddy211/07/2020 13:48

So using your logic then of pay per hour, you’ll be happy paying between £ …So using your logic then of pay per hour, you’ll be happy paying between £150/£300+ per game? No?

Think you read it wrong. Putting it that way you pay £15 per hour of entertainment at a cinema, but with a game you’d pay £60 for 20 hours of entertainment working out at £3 per hour of entertainment.
Edited by: "ReecesWaffle95" 11th Jul
ReecesWaffle9511/07/2020 14:02

Think you read it wrong. Putting it that way you pay £15 per hour of …Think you read it wrong. Putting it that way you pay £15 per hour of entertainment at a cinema, but with a game you’d pay £60 for 20 hours of entertainment working out at £3 per hour of entertainment.

That is why the comparison of price per hour is flawed. Just because a game has 20 hours of content, it doesn’t mean it has 20 hours of good content. Same with movies.

The only thing they have in common is they both cost money. The variables change massively depending on that. It’s like suggesting a 3 hour snooze fest of a film is better value than a really great 2 hour film. Makes no sense to make the comparison, does it? As the great film was clearly a better product, so was better value than the longer film.
Biddy211/07/2020 14:26

That is why the comparison of price per hour is flawed. Just because a …That is why the comparison of price per hour is flawed. Just because a game has 20 hours of content, it doesn’t mean it has 20 hours of good content. Same with movies. The only thing they have in common is they both cost money. The variables change massively depending on that. It’s like suggesting a 3 hour snooze fest of a film is better value than a really great 2 hour film. Makes no sense to make the comparison, does it? As the great film was clearly a better product, so was better value than the longer film.

I don’t understand your argument? A bad film is the same as a bad game under that logic, so how is one worse than the other?
ReecesWaffle9511/07/2020 14:27

I don’t understand your argument? A bad film is the same as a bad game u …I don’t understand your argument? A bad film is the same as a bad game under that logic, so how is one worse than the other?

Because one at least had respect for my time than the other, as it wasn’t padded out to hit some target of time because people have a strange obsession with price per hour with video games.
Biddy211/07/2020 14:49

Because one at least had respect for my time than the other, as it wasn’t p …Because one at least had respect for my time than the other, as it wasn’t padded out to hit some target of time because people have a strange obsession with price per hour with video games.

I really don’t understand where you’re going with your points. They never seem to validate your own statements
ReecesWaffle9511/07/2020 14:53

I really don’t understand where you’re going with your points. They never s …I really don’t understand where you’re going with your points. They never seem to validate your own statements

Ok, if that’s your take. Can’t really explain it any clearer. Price per hour is flawed and makes no sense.

If you’re sticking with games and ignore the film comparison, you’re saying a good, 10 hour game is worth less than a padded out, but still good 20 hour game and the one that actually offered the better experience, because it was more controlled with it’s pacing, should be cheaper because it had less hours.

It’s silly.

Another example. If I don’t go to the cinema, and I instead wait to rent a film at home, I pay £4.49 per HD rental. So I’m getting my content at less than the price per hour of a £60 game now.

It’s flawed. You cannot compare films to games.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 11th Jul
I think I'll continue on as I currently buy games now, if it's something I want to play day one I'll try and find the best price online beforehand, anything else can wait. I think they should take micro-transactions out of paid games if they are looking to increase the cost of games but they won't as they make so much money from them.

I think the market will be the biggest factor, with a recession looming and possibly many people out of work due to the pandemic, the thought of a £500 new console and £65 games might be enough for people to stay on current gen for longer before upgrading.
I think video games have held their price for a long time. I vaguely remember paying as much (if not more) for games on the SNES back in the 90's. It was always inevitable that a price rise was coming, not ideal but on my opinion but probably overdue.

On current gen I don't think I've ever paid RRP and the only digital games I own (not the psplus ones) are the occasional ones that pop up free and ones from offers like the NHS gaming.

I'll not pay RRP for a game, I've usually enough games to get me through to the AAA game release price had dropped.
Kratos6910/07/2020 23:58

I’ve made the decision to go digital for the next gen. I prefer digital, I …I’ve made the decision to go digital for the next gen. I prefer digital, I don’t like discs and it looks like I’ll have to pay RRP for games when they come out if I want them which I’ll have no problem doing. I’ve only got back into gaming during lockdown, usually I just simply don’t have the time. I’d say I get through ( before Covid) 2-3 games a year plus a sports title. It’ll be me paying maybe a premium of £10-15 per game if I buy them at the £55 opposed to finding a £40 deal online. I find when I buy games digitally I know they’re mine and am more inclined not to rush them, opposed to me buying it and rushing through with the idea of flipping it and not losing much money. Went a bit off topic there I know but in answer to the question in hand, I’d be happy to pay £50 or £55 for the games I want and use my PS plus sub and PS now sub for filler games.

Games physically rrp are £50/55 for ps4 on digital it goes £59.99/£65.00 rrp for base edition.

U can only expect that price increase on psn is still happening giving u a disc drive console for cheaper
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants