Would you join the mile high club?

... it's not what you're thinking!

Just spotted this article online about a new building that is going to be a mile tall!!!

I live on the 16th floor, the drop is pretty immense, and freaks most people out at first! But could you go up to the top floor of a mile high building? I don't think I could.

29 Comments

Be interesting,but I think I'll pass,need very good air conditioning up there and good heating then when cold.

Nope im a scaredy cat when it comes to heights

how tall is the empire state building??
Been at the top of that!
I don't really mind heights, weirdly the most scared i've been of heights is when i was on a pole 30ft of the ground, attached to a harness. All the other times i've been up high (bridges, cliffs, buildings) i've never really been bothered.

now i'd love that if they had a glass platform you could walk out on to look down from. it'd me amazing!!

Long way if ya forget the milk :?

When i was in New york i remember reading about a concept for a mile high building done in the 1950s (google searching found this link en.wikipedia.org/wik…ois) As can be seen the problems for such high buildings is the use of lifts, the space needed to carry the people of a 'working' building so tall takes up most of the space the extra floors give it. Is this just going to be a viewing platform tower? Or a proper working building (offices etc)

how long would ya need to wait for the lift in that

Ace Hayward;1811041

now i'd love that if they had a glass platform you could walk out on to … now i'd love that if they had a glass platform you could walk out on to look down from. it'd me amazing!!

Was just thinkin the same thing, or a balcony you could look right over!

looks good

Yeah I'm thinking major lift problems! They were bad enough for me in a 15 floor tower block! Plus I'm sure it would sway in the wind...

Original Poster

southampton_sain;1811410

its an april fool

don't think so, both the companies mentioned in the article are real, I don't think they'd use real company names if it was a joke...

wonder how long it would take you to reach the ground if you jumped off...

baconsandwich;1811578

About 30 seconds would be my guess

baconsandwich;1811578

same time it takes a marble to

well, according to this site the terminal velocity for a sky diver is 54m/s

hypertextbook.com/fac…tml

1ft = 0.3048 meters

so the building is 1600.2 meters tall

1600.2/54 = 29.63 seconds

so 30 seconds was a great guess!

Original Poster

baconsandwich;1811646

well, according to this site the terminal velocity for a sky diver is … well, according to this site the terminal velocity for a sky diver is 54m/shttp://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml1ft = 0.3048 metersso the building is 1600.2 meters tall1600.2/54 = 29.63 secondsso 30 seconds was a great guess!

+rep for the mathematician!!! :thumbsup:

lol, np :thumbsup:

baconsandwich;1811646

well, according to this site the terminal velocity for a sky diver is … well, according to this site the terminal velocity for a sky diver is 54m/shttp://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml1ft = 0.3048 metersso the building is 1600.2 meters tall1600.2/54 = 29.63 secondsso 30 seconds was a great guess!

actually it is governed by the kinematics equations, to find out the time we need the equation s=u+1/2at^2 where s is the displacement and u is the initial velocity a is the acc'n due to gravvity which is 9.81ms^-2 and t is time, the time to hit the ground is approximatley 1minute assuming that there is no air resistance.

I think I would be sick but it would be fun (not to be sick, but to be on top of the building :-D)

i wonder if this is an april fools joke!!!

I thought the one in dubai was the tallest building in the world?

dandoc2;1821483

I thought the one in dubai was the tallest building in the world?

It is, that's why it's next to the proposed mile high building in the chart. :thumbsup:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/21graphicDM3003_468x301.jpg

nightswimmer;1821523

It is, that's why it's next to the proposed mile high building in the … It is, that's why it's next to the proposed mile high building in the chart. :thumbsup:

ah ok yer i thought so - wow a mile high building is madness

I hate to be up there on a windy day. Imagine the sway on the tower.

mug51;1811294

how long would ya need to wait for the lift in that

It's easy coming down though, slide down a pole :-D

The dubai tower kinda reminds me of the citadel tower in HL2

http://www.ambientperformance.com/connection/archives/HalfLife2_Citadel.jpg

Original Poster

kk_cheung;1811845

actually it is governed by the kinematics equations, to find out the time … actually it is governed by the kinematics equations, to find out the time we need the equation s=u+1/2at^2 where s is the displacement and u is the initial velocity a is the acc'n due to gravvity which is 9.81ms^-2 and t is time, the time to hit the ground is approximatley 1minute assuming that there is no air resistance.

what if the person is a bit chubby?

if there was no air resistance then it will be exactly the same as a skinny person, but since we dont live in a vacuum the fat (heavier) person should hit the ground a good few seconds before the skinnier (lighter) person but both will be well over a minute i imagine. lets propose that test when/ if the tower is built :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread414514053
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846050
    3. What an absolute disgrace1943
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523390

See more discussions