Expired

Would you keep £2k that wasnt yours?

Found 12th Sep 2009
Story on bbc news this morning about a woman that transferred two thousand pounds by online transfer and accidentally transposed 2 numbers on the account number so sent it to the wrong person.

Alliance and leicester wont reverse the transfer,the police can do nothing because the recipient didnt steal it and she cant take them to small claims because data protection means the alliance dont need to reveal the persons identity.

So basically they can keep the cash and nobody can touch them!

If you woke up to 2k in your account would you keep it?

53 Comments

yes - if i could

Banned

No as it was never mine in the first place

I would like to but it would prey on my mind too much! I would have to give it back unfortunately.

Mmmmmm.... Moral Dilemma, return it I say. I'd feel a better person for it.

Sloth/Mod

No............i'd give it to Toys 'r' Us.

in return for toys for the kids. :lol:

If it had all come out in the open and they new it was me etc.. then yes, I'd give it back....if I woke up and saw it in my account and heard nothing more about it then I'd keep it for sure:-D

No. I'd feel guilty that the other person might need it more than me.

Of course I wouldnt, the woman prolly worked hard for that and she made a simple mistake transposing the numbers. The bank should reverse the transaction.

Isn't it weird that even the little things we do in life, one small decision, a bad judgement or whatever and then we get punished for it in so many ways.

pestiewesties;6271940

I would like to but it would prey on my mind too much! I would have to … I would like to but it would prey on my mind too much! I would have to give it back unfortunately.

Yeah snap, would feel bad for the person who made the mistake, I've done it before :thumbsup:

Banned

So that explains the extra couple of grand:oops:

Would have to weigh up how i`d feel if i had made the same mistake, and how i`d feel loosing 2k.

I think that would get the better of me, and hope karma was good to me in some way after giving the money back.

I`ve always found that karma works very well!

Daz

I am very greatful to the person who sent me there money. I woke up and there is £2000 more than there should be in my bank

Depends where money came from........

if it was a mistake by an individual then NO but a company ? Probably ;-),

i would defo give it back .not my money so i dont keep it

choc1969;6271982

Depends where money came from........if it was a mistake by an individual … Depends where money came from........if it was a mistake by an individual then NO but a company ? Probably ;-),

Choc you're like me..... moral compromise with company funding lol!

FilthAndFurry;6271970

So that explains the extra couple of grand:oops:

He He! Time to cancel the two weeks in Barbados.:-D

The recipient's bank could be more helpful. They could at least act as a postbox e.g. the lady writes a letter to the recipient asking for the money back, and the bank merely forward the letter to the account holder. There would be no breach of DPA, and the recipient's conscious might get the better of them when he/she learns more about the person. This has worked in the past.

linuxlinks;6272015

Alliance & Leicester could be more helpful. They could at least act as a … Alliance & Leicester could be more helpful. They could at least act as a postbox e.g. the lady writes a letter to the recipient asking for the money back, and A&L merely forward the letter to the account holder. There would be no breach of DPA, and the recipient's conscious might get the better of them when he/she learns more about the person. This has worked in the past.

Surely A&L must have asked the recipient to return it? Thats the least they could do!

They've tried to contact the customer with no luck..could be out of reach or ignoring the letters

I smell ******** around this whole story, at a time when all the banks are wanting to push these silly card readers down our throats a bank employee happens to make a mistake which would be much less likely if you had to use a card reader.........

Dear customer, you really really need this card reader that will make internet banking a major inconvenience, because you really wouldn't want to accidentally send someone £2000 now would you.

Please ignore the fact we're just using them to get out of our responsibility to protect your money by shifting the blame and offloading the cost of fraud onto you.

Lots of love your bank

Banned

how are you gonna give it back anyways.......any bank transfers ive made or recieved dont have the relevent details to transfer back

you have to check several times before sending and enter your password again before you do it so tough if you ask me.....expensive lesson to learn

i think the banks are hypocrites (cant spell) if they wrongly put money into your account then u HAVE to give it back so its okay for them to make a mistake and not get punished for it but if we make a mistake then we lose our money they should reverse the transfer straight away and then send a message to other account explaining a mistake was made

Banned

id keep it defo

Banned

megalomaniac;6272158

I smell ******** around this whole story, at a time when all the banks … I smell ******** around this whole story, at a time when all the banks are wanting to push these silly card readers down our throats a bank employee happens to make a mistake which would be much less likely if you had to use a card reader.........Dear customer, you really really need this card reader that will make internet banking a major inconvenience, because you really wouldn't want to accidentally send someone £2000 now would you.Please ignore the fact we're just using them to get out of our responsibility to protect your money by shifting the blame and offloading the cost of fraud onto you.Lots of love your bank

I think this story is exaggerated too. The bank can easily reverse the payment.

bellows;6272235

i think the banks are hypocrites (cant spell) if they wrongly put money … i think the banks are hypocrites (cant spell) if they wrongly put money into your account then u HAVE to give it back so its okay for them to make a mistake and not get punished for it but if we make a mistake then we lose our money they should reverse the transfer straight away and then send a message to other account explaining a mistake was made

Exactly what I was thinking, although I did used to work in a Bank and I'm pretty sure that we would contact the recipient and say the money was put in their account in error, and I'm also pretty sure that we would have been able to reverse the transfer anyway so I'm not 100% sure that this is correct, I'd sure as heck be getting on to them constantly though if it was my £2000 I'd sent to the wrong person and wouldn't let it lie until I'd got it back!!

Banned

i thought this would come under fraud, spending money you know doesn't belong to you is fraud is it not. If the bank makes an error and you end up with £2000 in your bank they would take it back, fraud on the part of the recipient not the sender

Banned

csiman;6272611

I think this story is exaggerated too. The bank can easily reverse the … I think this story is exaggerated too. The bank can easily reverse the payment.

yeah but legally they dont have to .........and what if the sender had actually paid for something and received it? then trys to say they sent cash to the wrong person in error:?

Im sorry, but shes an idiot, she works at the bank or some sort and is VERY used to these internet banking proceedures she should be checking the numbers instinctively..! Im suprised she didnt get the sack from her banking job for telling bbc of her clumsyness..!

But to answer the question first, IF you keep any amount of money which wasnt meant to be yours and the bank find out it was their mistake they can prosecute you for fraud. So yes I will tell the bank that "look you guys made a mistake". Then if they havent it would be so much hassle for me to find the reciepient to return the money to tbh, unless shes daft enough to tell bbc.........

I had an extra £3k in my bank for a short while a few years back from a mystery person. I was little scared it was drug money or something so i didnt touch my bank and went online to find what i need to do before I took the right steps. It was a bank error and they said 'thanks'..............

Edit: (i was 16-17 at the time..)

Banned

casparwhite;6272749

yeah but legally they dont have to .........and what if the sender had … yeah but legally they dont have to .........and what if the sender had actually paid for something and received it? then trys to say they sent cash to the wrong person in error:?

thats wrong. Thisismoney website states:-

"you have to pay the money back. Legally, if you received money in error and you know that it is not yours, then you must pay it back. If you receive money and you can put forward a credible argument as to why you should keep it – that it is a reasonable return for services rendered – that's a different situation.
In some circumstances, the customer might be able to claim that they have 'altered their position' on the strength of the item that has been credited; for example, if they were expecting a similar sum to the amount that was wrongly credited and they have spent the money believing it to be rightly theirs. This point was upheld in Lloyds bank vs Brooks (1950), according to the British Bankers Association.
It points out that a customer cannot knowingly take advantage of an error, which the case Rhind v Commercial Bank of Scotland (1860) highlights as illegal."

Banned

csiman;6272874

thats wrong. Thisismoney website states:-"you have to pay the money back. … thats wrong. Thisismoney website states:-"you have to pay the money back. Legally, if you received money in error and you know that it is not yours, then you must pay it back. If you receive money and you can put forward a credible argument as to why you should keep it – that it is a reasonable return for services rendered – that's a different situation. In some circumstances, the customer might be able to claim that they have 'altered their position' on the strength of the item that has been credited; for example, if they were expecting a similar sum to the amount that was wrongly credited and they have spent the money believing it to be rightly theirs. This point was upheld in Lloyds bank vs Brooks (1950), according to the British Bankers Association. It points out that a customer cannot knowingly take advantage of an error, which the case Rhind v Commercial Bank of Scotland (1860) highlights as illegal."

that statement relates to money received in error from the banks like a loan or something.......like that NZ couple who got areound 4 million in their bank by accident and withdrew a load of it and went oin the run

completely different scenario

If you woke up to 2k in your account would you keep it?

[COLOR="Red"]I wake up with a lot more than £2K in my bank account every day.[/COLOR]

Banned

casparwhite;6272908

that statement relates to money received in error from the banks like a … that statement relates to money received in error from the banks like a loan or something.......like that NZ couple who got areound 4 million in their bank by accident and withdrew a load of it and went oin the runcompletely different scenario

no it doesnt, it relates to spending money you know does not belong to you and knowing you have received it in error, wherever it has come from

Banned

sassie;6272968

no it doesnt, it relates to spending money you know does not belong to … no it doesnt, it relates to spending money you know does not belong to you and knowing you have received it in error, wherever it has come from

there is no legal recourse if you have transferred money into the wrong account.....simple as that

data protection doesnt even allow the banks to give you details to where it has gone never mind where it has come from

try telling what you are saying to the thousands of people ripped off on ebay etc with bank transfers and god knows how many other scams that are out there

Banned

casparwhite;6272982

there is no legal recourse if you have transferred money into the wrong … there is no legal recourse if you have transferred money into the wrong account.....simple as thatdata protection doesnt even allow the banks to give you details to where it has gone never mind where it has come fromtry telling what you are saying to the thousands of people ripped off on ebay etc with bank transfers and god knows how many other scams that are out there

not going to argue with you, but if you can prove someone knowingly spent money that did not belong to them then they can be done for fraud

This has happened to me about 3 years ago. I had a Barclays account that I didnt use and someone I didnt know transferred 2 seperate payments of £2500 and £2000, and it showed the person account name and account number next to payments.
It was in my account for over 2 years without anyone at the bank saying anything and then out of the blue I got a call from them saying that I have received this money by accident and that it would be taken back. I lol'd at the guy who rang and they took the money back. They asked me why I hadnt reported it to them and I said its not my place to, surely the person who put the money in my account would have noticed his money had gone to the wrong place and told his bank.
Looking back I should have just spent it

Banned

sassie;6273000

not going to argue with you, but if you can prove someone knowingly spent … not going to argue with you, but if you can prove someone knowingly spent money that did not belong to them then they can be done for fraud

good luck trying to prove that youve sent money to someone that you dont know by accident and then provong thats this person that you dont know has spent your money knowingly

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…147

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…843

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/for…tml

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/for…tml

Banned

sassie;6272968

no it doesnt, it relates to spending money you know does not belong to … no it doesnt, it relates to spending money you know does not belong to you and knowing you have received it in error, wherever it has come from

+1

exactly what is stated is correct

Banned

csiman;6273298

+1exactly what is stated is correct

ok mr +1, says who and how are you going to prove what is stated?

She works for a bank and has probably made that 2k screwing other people....karma is a terrible thing!

I would give it back but i don't feel sorry for her...if you are silly enough to do it then you deserve whatever comes your way.

I'd keep it unless i was forced to return it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.322
    2. MacBook88
    3. Printer help please.34
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch33

See more discussions