Would you miss the 1p and 2p coins if they were taken out of circulation?

Found 14th MarEdited by:"Predikuesi"
The Treasury is considering scrapping these coins. The claim is that 6 in 10 coins are only used once.

bbc.co.uk/new…662

"Five pence for the guy" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I'd have nothing to put in charity boxes! So they world miss out.
So retailers would have to stop charging 99p on everything (or anything other than 0/5). Then banks would have to round up/down interest.

My biggest worry are the 2p slot machines, I'm not using the 10p ones
nemesiz4 h, 20 m ago

How are you going to spend a Penny?

2p or not 2p that is the question ???
65 Comments
I'd have nothing to put in charity boxes! So they world miss out.
So retailers would have to stop charging 99p on everything (or anything other than 0/5). Then banks would have to round up/down interest.

My biggest worry are the 2p slot machines, I'm not using the 10p ones
Original Poster
When Ireland started phasing out the 1c and 2c coins, there was the obvious price increases as purchases were rounded up to the nearest 5c, so I expect the same will happen here. Since this happened in 2015, you would think they would phase out things costing 99c, but no, the shops just keep the 1c. They even do this when using a credit card.
They cost more to produce than they are worth. I hate having them as well.

Get rid I say.
Chiptivo2 m ago

They cost more to produce than they are worth. I hate having them as well. …They cost more to produce than they are worth. I hate having them as well. Get rid I say.

They could just produce them every couple of years, we wont run out.
Im in the minority but im a fan of not having any type of physical money
I can't see any reason we need then anymore.
g8spur2 m ago

I can't see any reason we need then anymore.

33437907-FFkqH.jpg33437907-ySLX0.jpg
deleted800342
No.
splatsplatsplat46 m ago

So retailers would have to stop charging 99p on everything (or anything …So retailers would have to stop charging 99p on everything (or anything other than 0/5). Then banks would have to round up/down interest. My biggest worry are the 2p slot machines, I'm not using the 10p ones

This.

Get rid of 1 & 2ps and there will literally be no point in going to the seaside in this country.
Smaller local independent charities could suffer much more from smaller chugger box donations.
Just inflation. We won't miss em I reckon
veedubjai5 m ago

Smaller local independent charities could suffer much more from smaller …Smaller local independent charities could suffer much more from smaller chugger box donations.

Phase them out and force retailers to disclose the additional 'profit' per item. Then give it to charity.

Screwfix for instance lets you round your basket up to charity.
Pennies from Heaven lets you do the loose change in your pay packet to charity.

Mechanisms exist to give the change away.
You are in the majority, most transactions are done with debit or credit cards,
only people over 80 use coins and cash
darthvader666uk1 h, 5 m ago

deleted1166706
lumsdot12 m ago

You are in the majority, most transactions are done with debit or credit …You are in the majority, most transactions are done with debit or credit cards,only people over 80 use coins and cash

My local Chinese takeaway gives a 30% discount on cash orders.
A penny for your thoughts will cost more now
Predikuesi1 h, 54 m ago

..."Five pence for the guy" doesn't have the same ring to it.

"5 November pennies for the Guy" would work... just.
I use pennies to change the needles on my sewing machine so they’re useful to me
darthvader666uk1 h, 35 m ago

lumsdot29 m ago

You are in the majority, most transactions are done with debit or credit …You are in the majority, most transactions are done with debit or credit cards,only people over 80 use coins and cash

...and me (& I'm not over 80 years old).

Do you know how many transactions occur daily with Digital Wallet payment methods (Google Pay, Applie Pay, Samsung Pay, & so on) compared to debit/credit cards & cash?
darthvader666uk1 h, 37 m ago

How would we do cash deals? My bed is only a couple of inches off the ceiling
alltaken12314th Mar

My local Chinese takeaway gives a 30% discount on cash orders.

I noticed that with some TA in my area. Probably some trying to avoid Just Eat's fees if they offer that service. I heard that it could be up to 20% takings per order + they have to wait for payments of up to a month. Think they have to sign up to a contract with upfront payment for some device + promo gear. That's a lot for any type of small business + could cause issues with cash flow on weekly basis for stock. I can see why some TA won't sign up to that. Not sure if it's true though.

What did we had before Just Eat came along? That's right, a phone to call people up. Wasn't so difficult then so shouldn't be difficult now. It's nice to talk to people once in a while than glued to our screens constantly. Same thing, see folks walking around staring at their screens & not looking where they're going.
Edited by: "veedubjai" 14th Mar
lumsdot37 m ago

...and then the carers, cleaners, builders, milkmen, shops etc etc all have to accept that cash from them.
Towelie1 h, 28 m ago

This. Get rid of 1 & 2ps and there will literally be no point in going to …This. Get rid of 1 & 2ps and there will literally be no point in going to the seaside in this country.

The 2p and penny falls could be replaced with discs to the value and whatever you win in discs you cash in
lumsdot58 m ago

oh well I really thought I was in the minority but thats actually good news!

fanpages29 m ago

...and me (& I'm not over 80 years old).Do you know how many transactions …...and me (& I'm not over 80 years old).Do you know how many transactions occur daily with Digital Wallet payment methods (Google Pay, Applie Pay, Samsung Pay, & so on) compared to debit/credit cards & cash?

I would like to know this. The only time in which I have cash is when my one mate ows me money (flipping annoying and wishes he just bank transfer / monzo / paypal it to me!) or older members of the family for my birthday haha
fanpages38 m ago

...and me (& I'm not over 80 years old).Do you know how many transactions …...and me (& I'm not over 80 years old).Do you know how many transactions occur daily with Digital Wallet payment methods (Google Pay, Applie Pay, Samsung Pay, & so on) compared to debit/credit cards & cash?

I dont know, but apple do get a small percentage for every apple pay transaction.
My contactless dedit card is in my mobile case, so if I pay I just tap my phone case against the thingy, easy .
Some banks provide small contacless cards
bpay.co.uk/cat…000
Edited by: "lumsdot" 14th Mar
deleted1166706
veedubjai30 m ago

I noticed that with some TA in my area. Probably some trying to avoid Just …I noticed that with some TA in my area. Probably some trying to avoid Just Eat's fees if they offer that service. I heard that it could be up to 20% takings per order + they have to wait for payments of up to a month. Think they have to sign up to a contract with upfront payment for some device + promo gear. That's a lot for any type of small business + could cause issues with cash flow on weekly basis for stock. I can see why some TA won't sign up to that. Not sure if it's true though.What did we had before Just Eat came along? That's right, a phone to call people up. Wasn't so difficult then so shouldn't be difficult now. It's nice to talk to people once in a while than glued to our screens constantly. Same thing, see folks walking around staring at their screens & looking where they're going.

Oh my local is a buffet style outfit during the day, no deliveries, collection/eat in only and they're not on any sites. So not sure why the discount on cash? Card fees don't make that drastic a discount, and they're a very large business catering for 100+ if dining in rather than take out.
nemesiz3 h, 26 m ago

Who is Penny?
lumsdot1 h, 9 m ago

I dont know, but apple do get a small percentage for every apple pay …I dont know, but apple do get a small percentage for every apple pay transaction.My contactless dedit card is in my mobile case, so if I pay I just tap my phone case against the thingy, easy .Some banks provide small contacless cardshttps://www.bpay.co.uk/categories/buy-bpay/product/sticker/sticker-2year~Z3301000

Electronic money is great, until something goes wrong and it's completely out of your hands. Then it's not.
So petrol needs to go up a penny, only it can't so it goes up 5p, you put 50ltr of fuel in and you're 2 quid out of pocket. Not good.
nemesiz4 h, 20 m ago

2p or not 2p that is the question ???
alltaken12314th Mar

Oh my local is a buffet style outfit during the day, no deliveries, …Oh my local is a buffet style outfit during the day, no deliveries, collection/eat in only and they're not on any sites. So not sure why the discount on cash? Card fees don't make that drastic a discount, and they're a very large business catering for 100+ if dining in rather than take out.

Don't do buffets myself. Tried several in the past but meh. Much prefer small local TA's as they are usually manned by small family members who have pass on their skills & experience so the consistency & quality tends to stay the same hence the reason I always go back to the same ones. Tried a few new ones but always go back. I found that some of these so call buffet types that multiple chefs can change & I've noticed it on the quality of their meals. I usually tend to find that if you find a TA that offers every moon on a stick so to say with extras like offering free delivery, extra portions, Just Eat or Hungryhouse, will most likely encourage them to scrimp somewhere maybe lower grade stock or cheap out & cut corners. Too many TA in the area will do this as they are all competing on price which we all know will have an impact on quality & consistency. This is food going in your mouth end of day & some folks will always cheap out. Is it ever wonder why we have food scandals?

As far I can tell, running a large business will have always higher overheads so maybe they are saving as much expenditure & outgoings to pay for things like rent, staff, gas/electric rates, water rates, waste rates, stock inventory, business rates, tax/NI if they have large premises. Did you NMW & council tax will be going this year? I'm only guessing that card fees maybe marginal for every transaction but I'm sure there is a monthly service fee to pay for. Probably based on what their annual turnover is in their books. As far as I can see, using cards is just offering convenience to the customer but at a cost to who? The service provider or the customer? Someone has to pay for it. Maybe you should tell them how to run a Chinese buffet business?
deleted1166706
veedubjai4 m ago

Don't do buffets myself. Tried several in the past but meh. Much prefer …Don't do buffets myself. Tried several in the past but meh. Much prefer small local TA's as they are usually manned by small family members who have pass on their skills & experience so the consistency & quality tends to stay the same hence the reason I always go back to the same ones. Tried a few new ones but always go back. I found that some of these so call buffet types that multiple chefs can change & I've noticed it on the quality of their meals. I usually tend to find that if you find a TA that offers every moon on a stick so to say with extras like offering free delivery, extra portions, Just Eat or Hungryhouse, will most likely encourage them to scrimp somewhere maybe lower grade stock or cheap out & cut corners. Too many TA in the area will do this as they are all competing on price which we all know will have an impact on quality & consistency. This is food going in your mouth end of day & some folks will always cheap out. Is it ever wonder why we have food scandals?As far I can tell, running a large business will have always higher overheads so maybe they are saving as much expenditure & outgoings to pay for things like rent, staff, gas/electric rates, water rates, waste rates, stock inventory, business rates, tax/NI if they have large premises. Did you NMW & council tax will be going this year? I'm only guessing that card fees maybe marginal for every transaction but I'm sure there is a monthly service fee to pay for. Probably based on what their annual turnover is in their books. As far as I can see, using cards is just offering convenience to the customer but at a cost to who? The service provider or the customer? Someone has to pay for it. Maybe you should tell them how to run a Chinese buffet business?

Oh my. I was just saying I'm not sure why they offer cash discounts. It's a very nicely ran Chinese restaurant if that matters, food is great. Why would I tell them how to run their business?
I like pennies and I think we should bring back the half penny, its just an excuse to put prices up and put penny presses and penny pushers out of business.

Cash is better than plastic
lumsdot2 h, 46 m ago

Wrong and I know several local shops that are cash only
alltaken12314th Mar

Oh my. I was just saying I'm not sure why they offer cash discounts. It's …Oh my. I was just saying I'm not sure why they offer cash discounts. It's a very nicely ran Chinese restaurant if that matters, food is great. Why would I tell them how to run their business?

Why didn't you ask them next time while you're there? Just an opinion if you have the grasp to run a business on your own or had in the past & how did it turn out.
deleted1166706
veedubjai4 m ago

Why didn't you ask them next time while you're there? Just an opinion if …Why didn't you ask them next time while you're there? Just an opinion if you have the grasp to run a business on your own or had in the past & how did it turn out.

I'd feel a little rude asking tbh - I'm British - asking is cheeky
fanpages2 h, 39 m ago

True but it should be a matter of choice, not forced onto people .
Will the 99p shop have to change their name as it'd be misleading advertisement
alltaken12314th Mar

I'd feel a little rude asking tbh - I'm British - asking is cheeky

Don't be absurd. As long as you're polite & gentle to start with. If your going in like a bull in a China shop, expect backlash in full Chinese aggressive manner with meat cleaver to hand.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions