Would you pay more than £5 for a bottle

Posted 16th Nov
How much is you upper limit when looking to buy a bottle of wine?
A lot of articles say the best value for money in wines is around £10, is this what you believe to be correct or are sellers just wanting you to spend more?

independent.co.uk/lif…tml
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I had a very rich friend once upon a time and we all went out as a group and he insisted on buying bottles of wine in excess of £200 each for everyone. As nice as it was i couldn’t really see where the extra money spent on it had gone. I mean yes it was old bottles from years ago but if you put it out in unmarked glasses i wouldn’t have been able to pick it out amongst other more cheaper wines.

However, the difference between £3 bottles and £30 bottles is noticeable in my opinion, then anything higher is just a waste.
19 Crimes is 2 for £12 in Morrisons and is a fantastic red. Also the two Dark Horse reds go down to around £6.50 a bottle and are both great. I could pick out ten random £15 bottles and not like any as much as the above three.
A decent bottle of wine is £15 to £30 with a proper cork, especially for red wine.

Cheaper stuff is brought it in big (huge) tetra paks and then bottled in the UK.

Another example - bread. How much do you pay? 50p plastic stuff or local bakery for £2.50 a loaf? Herr difference is much easier noticable to most people.
I’m a fan of £4.75 Soave from the Co op!
I would pay more than £5 if I thought (or knew) it was worth it.

We've all got different tastes and we're not all going to agree on what's good.

The most important thing for me is to buy what I like or what I think I might like; if I'm buying for a friend I try to have an idea of what they like.

There are some really good quality wines out there at relatively cheap prices - it's finding them that's the problem, add to that we've all got different tastes and the problem gets bigger.

I've been fortunate enough to have met and befriended people 'in' wine, correspondents, importers etc, and they've all given me little nuggets of info that has helped me when making wine choices.

I'm no expert but finding good wine can sometimes seem like mission impossible for us ordinary folks. I'm really glad to have met with helpful folks who knew a lot more about it than I did.
I disagree with the report in the Independent. It's based on strangers opinions of my taste.

If I don't like the taste it doesn't matter if it's £2 or £200 - it's not about price - it's about taste.

Over the years I've learned that the most expensive wines aren't always (- in fact, imho are never) worth the price.
It's also been a delight to find great tasting wines at really low prices.

Ultimately it's always about personal taste.
Usually £5-10 in most supermarkets although Aldi and Lidl often have some good bottles for less than £5
Discounted 5-6 for everyday. 9-15 for something a bit better. My father in law get a box of mixed from naked wines every month or so, averages about 8/bottle, Usually noticeably better than the standard brands from the supermarkets.
normally around £5-6 a bottle but do pay £16-17 now and again for certain wines...
I go on the hangover if I don’t have one I’d pay loads but it’s probably down to the quantity
MIDURIX16/11/2019 09:40

19 Crimes is 2 for £12 in Morrisons and is a fantastic red. Also the two …19 Crimes is 2 for £12 in Morrisons and is a fantastic red. Also the two Dark Horse reds go down to around £6.50 a bottle and are both great. I could pick out ten random £15 bottles and not like any as much as the above three.

19 Crimes is the best wine and more so when you buy 6 bottles with 25% off
AMaky16/11/2019 10:00

A decent bottle of wine is £15 to £30 with a proper cork, especially for r …A decent bottle of wine is £15 to £30 with a proper cork, especially for red wine.Cheaper stuff is brought it in big (huge) tetra paks and then bottled in the UK.Another example - bread. How much do you pay? 50p plastic stuff or local bakery for £2.50 a loaf? Herr difference is much easier noticable to most people.

Theway you've phrased it is that allstuff that's less than £15 is brought in a big container and then bottled here, that isn't true at all. Bread is a poor example because you are paying for freshness and the fact it's a very small batch and more hand mand possibly, whereas the more expensive wine is no fresher, no more small batch and no more handmade than a cheaper bottle. I buy expensive beer because I love the taste of the fresher, small batch and more handmade beer.
MIDURIX17/11/2019 06:40

Theway you've phrased it is that allstuff that's less than £15 is brought …Theway you've phrased it is that allstuff that's less than £15 is brought in a big container and then bottled here, that isn't true at all. Bread is a poor example because you are paying for freshness and the fact it's a very small batch and more hand mand possibly, whereas the more expensive wine is no fresher, no more small batch and no more handmade than a cheaper bottle. I buy expensive beer because I love the taste of the fresher, small batch and more handmade beer.

i doubt very much that same amounts of each price level wine is produced.
same aged properly, others using modern 'aging' techniques.
smaller winery smaller batch.
different grapes are used.

as for beer, it's best drunk straight after bottling process as it's still live.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants