Would you rather use a discount code for 5% off, or use topcashback for 10%?

Expert (Beta) 48
Posted 1st Jan
OK, so I'm just about to buy a phone from that company who cannot be named. But it occurred to me, what would I do if I had a 5% discount code (which this company does) or if topcashback were offering 10% in cashback.

If both can't be combined

What would rather you do, apart from try both?

I'd use the code as its guaranteed savings.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I’d use the code as well tcp doesn’t always payout or doesn’t always give % they indicated
Guarenteed 5% for me
48 Comments
Ditto
Guarenteed 5% for me
I’d use the code as well tcp doesn’t always payout or doesn’t always give % they indicated
HNY Switchy. I'd use the 5% personally. Love TCB but so often doesn't pay
cartwheelbob01/01/2020 10:23

HNY Switchy. I'd use the 5% personally. Love TCB but so often doesn't pay

Happy new year, seems the general consensus. Obviously us being cheeky savers, we'd try to sneak in both
I would use 5%
MrSwitch01/01/2020 10:24

Happy new year, seems the general consensus. Obviously us being cheeky …Happy new year, seems the general consensus. Obviously us being cheeky savers, we'd try to sneak in both

Of course!
I'd also go with the guaranteed and instant 5%. TCB is ok but payouts can be long and certainly no guarantees that you'll actually get it.
Happy New Year! I’d definitely use the 5% code but also try my luck with TCB. It has worked on occasion with Quidco doing the same thing
I'd use the code. I tried Topcashback and it was a waste of time as it didn't track. I use Quidco which is better but still not reliable so hence discount code is preferable.
definitely 5% as guaranteed
Happy new year mrswitch.

Definitely the code for a surefire. But both for the best result.
5% most definitely.
5%
Topcashback has always been pretty good to me (except when I've messed up lol) so TC for me
5% better option
I'd try for both, but favor TCB myself... In your case as you favor discount code it depends on how fast that seller pays out on TCB too...with sellers that take ages I'd raise a case straight after before I forget so I can eventually get paid out!
I'd use TCB/Quidco as then use it as a bit of a savings account to buy something special with at end of year
5% code as I keep forgetting to use TCB anyway
Instant 5%!
Go for 10%. If it does not track, cancel the purchase.
I cannot believe you ask this question. You are a so called "expert" make up your own mind.
Are you paid to ask such a question?
Common.Sense01/01/2020 11:26

Go for 10%. If it does not track, cancel the purchase.I cannot believe you …Go for 10%. If it does not track, cancel the purchase.I cannot believe you ask this question. You are a so called "expert" make up your own mind.Are you paid to ask such a question?

It's a discussion, calm down.

Discussions are good, this is just to get community interaction or to express a genuine interest in what people's choice would be.
Instant 5% but I'd still chance it via TCB too lol
ToxicHazard01/01/2020 11:28

It's a discussion, calm down.Discussions are good, this is just to get …It's a discussion, calm down.Discussions are good, this is just to get community interaction or to express a genuine interest in what people's choice would be.

You need to calm down. It's a debate!

I wanted to know if he paid to start a discussion. It is an odd question to ask from an "expert" and not to be able to reveal the company. What incentives are received to ask the question? Do they increase with responses?

Looks like, yes, "I am rewarded by Pepper based on how useful and engaging other members find my posts".
Edited by: "Common.Sense" 1st Jan
I personally would go for the 10% TCB. I've never had one not track, so I would attempt to get the huge saving
Common.Sense01/01/2020 11:31

You need to calm down. It's a debate!I wanted to know if he paid to start …You need to calm down. It's a debate!I wanted to know if he paid to start a discussion. It is an odd question to ask from an "expert" and not to be able to reveal the company. What incentives are received to ask the question? Do they increase with responses?

No. I asked the question because I'm genuinely curious what people would do, read up on the expert program maybe to understand why I'm an expert. I'm not paid to post discussions.
MrSwitch01/01/2020 11:32

No. I asked the question because I'm genuinely curious what people would …No. I asked the question because I'm genuinely curious what people would do, read up on the expert program maybe to understand why I'm an expert. I'm not paid to post discussions.

But you stated: "I am rewarded by Pepper based on how useful and engaging other members find my posts."

What is the reward, if not monetary?
Common.Sense01/01/2020 11:33

But you stated: "I am rewarded by Pepper based on how useful and engaging …But you stated: "I am rewarded by Pepper based on how useful and engaging other members find my posts."

I did not state that, hot UK deals stated that, and that refers to deals, not discussions, I'm a regular member like anyone else, and I like to interact with people just like anyone else that posts a discussion.

It is monetary.
Edited by: "MrSwitch" 1st Jan
MrSwitch01/01/2020 11:34

I did not state that, hot UK deals stated that, and that refers to deals, …I did not state that, hot UK deals stated that, and that refers to deals, not discussions, I'm a regular member like anyone else, and I like to interact with people just like anyone else that posts a discussion.It is monetary.

Why cannot you name the phone company?
MrSwitch01/01/2020 11:35

Because they are suspended.

Why are they suspended? You discuss a suspended company but not post a deal.
So why not state the company, without the model or price?
Common.Sense01/01/2020 11:37

Why are they suspended? You discuss a suspended company but not post a …Why are they suspended? You discuss a suspended company but not post a deal.So why not state the company, without the model or price?

I'm not sure why the specific company matters when this is a general discussion that relates to all purchases.
ToxicHazard01/01/2020 11:40

I'm not sure why the specific company matters when this is a general …I'm not sure why the specific company matters when this is a general discussion that relates to all purchases.

You do not need to know. You need to calm down!
May be there is no such deal and it is all a hoax, and the "experts" get incentives for posting such nonsense.

If the company was suspended from HUKD, it should have been declared why. It could be they have a reputation and also would not honour TCB.
magicjay198601/01/2020 10:44

5%

TCB for me switchy..

Sorry to call you here @magicjay1986 but it seems to be the only way to attract your attention, my PMs don't seem to garner replies unless I draw your attention to them. I just wondered if you might be able to respond to my PM when you get chance? Thanks.
Common.Sense01/01/2020 11:43

If the company was suspended from HUKD, it should have been declared why. …If the company was suspended from HUKD, it should have been declared why. It could be they have a reputation and also would not honour TCB.

In which case it doesn't mater because you won't know who they are and won't be let down by them.

You do not need to know. You need to calm down!May be there is no such …You do not need to know. You need to calm down!May be there is no such deal and it is all a hoax, and the "experts" get incentives for posting such nonsense.If the company was suspended from HUKD, it should have been declared why. It could be they have a reputation and also would not honour TCB.

hotukdeals.com/dis…=10

That's all I will say, if you have something to add, add it to that discussion. Have a great new year.
deeky01/01/2020 11:49

In which case it doesn't mater because you won't know who they are and …In which case it doesn't mater because you won't know who they are and won't be let down by them.

If the discussion is "genuine", it matters. As the decision to take 5% or use TCB depends on the reliability of the company, for some. If unreliable, they may not pay TCB and you get nothing.

I think it is rather ridiculous not to declare this. I smell a rat in the discussion.
Mr Switch wanted a discussion. I do not think (s)he was expecting a challenge!

Sorry, a few hours to kill! Happy New Year!
MrSwitch01/01/2020 11:50

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/eglobalcentral-uk-cant-believe-this-has-happened-3334457?page=10#comment-39498265That's all I will say, if you have something to add, add it to that discussion. Have a great new year.

... and you would buy via them?

Surely, the company is correct. If you import you are responsible for delivery.
The customer failed to insure for the full cost as he was "tight" and may have wanted to avoid VAT and import duty (if applicable).
Using a courier would declare the full value and mean a VAT charge and handling fee.

Why didn't the customer elect to insure his purchase in full, given the option? I suggest he was dishonest and wanted to cheat UK Plc out of VAT. Should we have sympathy? The correct thing to do is to report him to HMRC! (Joke).

You do not need to know. You need to calm down!May be there is no such …You do not need to know. You need to calm down!May be there is no such deal and it is all a hoax, and the "experts" get incentives for posting such nonsense.If the company was suspended from HUKD, it should have been declared why. It could be they have a reputation and also would not honour TCB.

39557895-zJ13t.jpg
Yep guaranteed discount for me too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions