Groups

Wow 'American G_ds' is pretty odd eh?

just started watching it, and its very impressive but pretty sinister.

Top comments

I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f the w_rd G_d, th_ugh s_me pe_ple d_ take certain _bservances t_ _ far s_metimes. N_t all Jewish f_lk see the need t_ place an line instead of the letter. S_rry if I've _ffended any_ne.

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 30th Jun
    26 Comments

Why have you left the 'o' out of 'Gods'?

Oh yeah I read the book, probably a couple of years after it was published, and don't remember much about it other than it was typically Gaiman "strange" and quite good, but not the best of his that I had read. Now, I'm pretty certain the series is so far (I've only watched two episodes) slightly different to the book, but it has the same haunting, slightly claustrophobic, compelling weirdness and I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

The silly thing is I had heard about the show months ago and then forgotten all about it. Then I saw an advert on TV for it the other week and thought "Oh I wonder when that's going to become available?" only to realise it has been out for weeks. You would think Amazon would have a clue about marketing.

deeky

Why have you left the 'o' out of 'Gods'?

The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but that's by design. Jewish tradition is that the name of God is so sacred that it should not be spoken. Instead they say 'adonai', meaning My Lord.

G-d is the same deal. It's a reverence to God as the word has not actually been written.

In this case the OP is wrong to use a dash, because 'American gods' does not refer to the God that Jews worship.

Edited by: "OllieSt" 30th Jun

OllieSt7 m ago

The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but …The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but that's by design. Jewish tradition is that the name of God is so sacred that it should not be spoken. Instead they say 'adonai', meaning My Lord. G-d is the same deal. It's a reverence to God as the word has not actually been written.In this case the OP is wrong to use a dash, because 'American gods' does not refer to the God that Jews worship.

This religion malarkey ain't half complicated, I'm pretty sure from my Protestant days we didn't have such a kerfuffle.

shadey12

This religion malarkey ain't half complicated, I'm pretty sure from my … This religion malarkey ain't half complicated, I'm pretty sure from my Protestant days we didn't have such a kerfuffle.

I know, but if you had been paying attention, many people in Protestant Churches would call God - Yahweh which is a pronounceable version of the Hebrew word YHVH as mentioned above.

I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f the w_rd G_d, th_ugh s_me pe_ple d_ take certain _bservances t_ _ far s_metimes. N_t all Jewish f_lk see the need t_ place an line instead of the letter. S_rry if I've _ffended any_ne.

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 30th Jun

OllieSt

The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but … The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but that's by design. Jewish tradition is that the name of God is so sacred that it should not be spoken. Instead they say 'adonai', meaning My Lord. G-d is the same deal. It's a reverence to God as the word has not actually been written.In this case the OP is wrong to use a dash, because 'American gods' does not refer to the God that Jews worship.

Thanks. I am enlightened X)

Predikuesi39 m ago

I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f …I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f the w_rd G_d, th_ugh s_me pe_ple d_ take certain _bservances t_ _ far s_metimes. N_t all Jewish f_lk see the need t_ place an line instead of the letter. S_rry if I've _ffended any_ne.

​you missed one

zainarafiq

you missed one

The Devil is in the details!

OllieSt2 h, 38 m ago

The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but …The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but that's by design. Jewish tradition is that the name of God is so sacred that it should not be spoken. Instead they say 'adonai', meaning My Lord. G-d is the same deal. It's a reverence to God as the word has not actually been written.In this case the OP is wrong to use a dash, because 'American gods' does not refer to the God that Jews worship.

​I did not know that, thanks for sharing

OllieSt

The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but … The Hebrew word for God is phonetically YHVH which is un-pronoucable, but that's by design. Jewish tradition is that the name of God is so sacred that it should not be spoken. Instead they say 'adonai', meaning My Lord. G-d is the same deal. It's a reverence to God as the word has not actually been written.In this case the OP is wrong to use a dash, because 'American gods' does not refer to the God that Jews worship.

Kudos for the explanation.

Predikuesi

I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f … I d_nt kn_w why the v_wel has t_ be left _ut _f the English spelling _f the w_rd G_d, th_ugh s_me pe_ple d_ take certain _bservances t_ _ far s_metimes. N_t all Jewish f_lk see the need t_ place an line instead of the letter. S_rry if I've _ffended any_ne.

A like for the effort pred X)

Loving the show also Loved the finale!!!!

Had to check the comments, from the title alone I thought it was a variant of a Nintendo handheld...

I think my next series is going to be Bosch. On the final season of The Wire. American God's, read a few reviews, I just sounds abit weird to me.

Never seen Bosch but I loved every minute of The Wire .. also did the Soprano boxset too.. that took a while !

arcangel111

Never seen Bosch but I loved every minute of The Wire .. also did the … Never seen Bosch but I loved every minute of The Wire .. also did the Soprano boxset too.. that took a while !

How was the last season? Read mixed reviews. Kinda put me off. Will watch though. Bosch has some actors from the Wire. Abit weird at first. One plays a good guy lol

The last season of the Wire was the best one (imo) i never knew when watching it that the majority of main characters were played by english people!!

arcangel111

The last season of the Wire was the best one (imo) i never knew when … The last season of the Wire was the best one (imo) i never knew when watching it that the majority of main characters were played by english people!!

Put Idris Elba on the map.

and Dominic West and Aiden Gillen all 3 are household names because of that show

where is it on?

Original Poster

miles136

where is it on?

Amazon Prime.

davewave

Amazon Prime.

or any "reputable" download site (_;)

even though its not my cup of chai, im tempted to watch the 1st episode to get a flavour.

Original Poster

EN1GMA

even though its not my cup of chai, im tempted to watch the 1st episode … even though its not my cup of chai, im tempted to watch the 1st episode to get a flavour.

Great!

EN1GMA

even though its not my cup of chai, im tempted to watch the 1st episode … even though its not my cup of chai, im tempted to watch the 1st episode to get a flavour.

watch the first couple .... X) might take you a while to get used to it ... haha
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764574
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2981048
      3. What is there free to do in your town?1015
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?33179

See more discussions