Found 31st Dec 2017
Community Updates
MiscEntertainment
Top comments
30 Comments
deleted800342
Nope
Curtains are shut
don't stare at is as directly looking at the sun will damage your brain, or am I confusing it for the newspaper >.>
Only one fireball here.
32959668-Ap7T7.jpg
32959755-vxcDv.jpg
Yeah just seen it too, really cool fam
Here are some more sitings, I was worried the bottle of red and lager and sherry had gone to my head

arpc65.arm.ac.uk/cgi….pl
Cool story bro
Confirmed, lots of people have seen it
airfix7 m ago

Here are some more sitings, I was worried the bottle of red and lager and …Here are some more sitings, I was worried the bottle of red and lager and sherry had gone to my head http://arpc65.arm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/fireballs/last10.pl

Sherry ?

32959964-NuK0I.jpg
North Korea trialling a new rocket. Apparently it missed...this time
I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
It's wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care

Billy Bragg
Felicitous1 h, 31 m ago

don't stare at is as directly looking at the sun will damage your brain, …don't stare at is as directly looking at the sun will damage your brain, or am I confusing it for the newspaper >.>

Too late with the warning
Edited by: "rogparki" 31st Dec 2017
It was one of those masonic fireballs, that only they can see.
Saw it earlier too, about 17.30 whilst driving up the A1. Thought it was a massive firework at first, looked awesome
Just looked out the window i cant see it
That was my party trick, farting with the lighter.

Sorry for the false alarm peeps.
arcangel11149 m ago

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/reports-of-huge-green-meteor-seen-in-skies-above-yorkshire-1-8934399

Look everyone, a cgi fireball.
Edited by: "ding" 2nd Jan
Amazing aren't they!

Missed it this time, but caught a nice one (also widely reported) a couple of months back, and many others over the years. Quite ironic as at the time of the event I was just putting together my UHD fireball capture PC. Hopefully it'll be up and running in time for the next major event!!
Never seen a meteor
and trust me have looked
32973551-erRJD.jpg
Wongy11036 m ago

Never seen a meteor and trust me have looked[Image]

Even a little one? You must live in a very light polluted location!

Even when I was living in the suburbs I was able to see them. It just meant spending longer outdoors looking up, but always saw them during peaks of major meteor showers like the Perseids and Geminids. I'll bet you could see them, if you timed it right, and were willing to spend some time. Better yet, time your holiday (if you like to get away over summer) to coincide with the Perseids peak, and go to somewhere well away from light pollution. You'll be in for a treat if you've never seen one. The 2018 Perseids peak (the night of 12th/13th Aug) looks like it will be better than average, so not a bad time to give it a try. The nights either side of the peak should also be included in your plans, in case the peak night is clouded out. They can have very good rates too.

There's also the Quadrantids, which is a very strong major shower, and it peaks tomorrow night (3rd/4th), but the weather makes it hard to observe most years so it gets overlooked even though it's usually stronger than the Perseids. This year it looks like the weather will spoil the show again, but it looks like there will be a rare break in the weather a night or two after the peak (typical!).
traylee8 m ago

Even a little one? You must live in a very light polluted location! Even …Even a little one? You must live in a very light polluted location! Even when I was living in the suburbs I was able to see them. It just meant spending longer outdoors looking up, but always saw them during peaks of major meteor showers like the Perseids and Geminids. I'll bet you could see them, if you timed it right, and were willing to spend some time. Better yet, time your holiday (if you like to get away over summer) to coincide with the Perseids peak, and go to somewhere well away from light pollution. You'll be in for a treat if you've never seen one. The 2018 Perseids peak (the night of 12th/13th Aug) looks like it will be better than average, so not a bad time to give it a try. The nights either side of the peak should also be included in your plans, in case the peak night is clouded out. They can have very good rates too.There's also the Quadrantids, which is a very strong major shower, and it peaks tomorrow night (3rd/4th), but the weather makes it hard to observe most years so it gets overlooked even though it's usually stronger than the Perseids. This year it looks like the weather will spoil the show again, but it looks like there will be a rare break in the weather a night or two after the peak (typical!).

No and not really
have been out and seen and even taken pictures of the planets

them shooting stars don't like me 32973864-YHS4Q.jpg
32974254-r7yaz.jpg

half of LA didnt realise SpaceX was launching the week before last, thought it was a alien invasion
Wongy11054 m ago

No and not reallyhave been out and seen and even taken pictures of the …No and not reallyhave been out and seen and even taken pictures of the planets them shooting stars don't like me [Image]

Luck favors the prepared/determined! It really is just a matter of looking till you see one, and not restricting your field of view by looking through scopes etc. Technique/location can play a big part. If the will is there, then you'll see them.

Happy to provide more tips on how to observe if you or anyone here is interested. I highly recommend you give it a go again. A good meteor shower can be a stunning experience, and everyone should experience at least one or you are missing out IMHO.

Of course, I should clarify for anyone reading this who might be a little confused: An event like the one the OP caught (a major fireball, which is just a very bright meteor/"shooting star") is actually hard to see and most are lucky to see just one, but ordinary meteors/meteor showers are usually quite easy to observe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants