Groups

Wow, the front of this woman.

JAILED: Benefits cheat Angel Jackson 'confined to wheelchair' caught using treadmill.

A benefits cheat who swindled the taxpayer out of £200,000 and acquired a £1 million property portfolio without "ever working a single day" has been jailed for seven years.

Angel Jackson, who had luxury homes in both Croydon and Mitcham, also claimed to need a wheelchair but was caught using a gym treadmill on CCTV.

Judge Adam Hiddleston, described her as a "vain and self-important person" with a "staggering contempt for the court".

He added: "You are a thoroughly dishonest person. You are a professional fraudster. It is your life's work.

"How many school places or hospital beds could have been provided by the local authorities with the money you took?"

Ghanaian Jackson, 52, even disappeared for two weeks halfway through her trial and a warrant had to be issued for her arrest.

She sometimes refused to leave the prison van to appear in court.

46 Comments

Maybe all the relaxing just helped her get better.

Hope she fares well in prison, a very misunderstood lady

Wonder if she has been claimed yet?

Glad to see the back of her...

Hope they sell her properties and use the money for something useful. How many Christmas dinners would that buy for genuinely homeless people

When we have a system as bloated as ours in handing out benefits , this will be happening on albeit a smaller scale,thousands of times .

7 years? is that all? I hope they repossessed everything she owned.
    Edited by: "SackCity" 8th Dec 2016

Maybe the answer is a universal wage, if you are working or not. And thats it, you get no benefits you just pay your bills same as employed person.
    Employed person gets universal wage plus the extra employer is paying

Original Poster

lumsdot

Maybe the answer is a universal wage, if you are working or not. And … Maybe the answer is a universal wage, if you are working or not. And thats it, you get no benefits you just pay your bills same as employed person.Employed person gets universal wage plus the extra employer is paying

Interesting idea,
    however just maybe over time...
    a Labour government would probably try to reduce the universal wage for those who are willing to work
    a Conservative government would probably try to reduce the universal wage for those who aren't willing to work
    a Scottish Parliament would probably try to increase the universal wage for those who live in Scotland.

feel good factor for the masses . Takes your mind off the £500 million going missing in health tourism , not being chased, the £50 million we pay in child benefits a year to eu children NOT in the uk, and the billions of unpaid tax avoided by big corporations.

Original Poster

plodging

feel good factor for the masses . Takes your mind off the £500 million … feel good factor for the masses . Takes your mind off the £500 million going missing in health tourism , not being chased, the £50 million we pay in child benefits a year to eu children NOT in the uk, and the billions of unpaid tax avoided by big corporations.

believe the court ruled, not just for the benefit of a news story, she actually was arrested, went to court and then to prison.

When she is banged up put a treadmill in her cell that is connected to the prison electrical system so she can power the heat and light to her cell.

davewave

believe the court ruled, not just for the benefit of a news story, she … believe the court ruled, not just for the benefit of a news story, she actually was arrested, went to court and then to prison.

Of course it's right to bang her up .. But amazing how they can nail certain individuals yet seem unable to get the correct tax from big corporations , and the ultra rich pay next to nowt either , if they choose to.

lumsdot

Maybe the answer is a universal wage, if you are working or not. And … Maybe the answer is a universal wage, if you are working or not. And thats it, you get no benefits you just pay your bills same as employed person.Employed person gets universal wage plus the extra employer is paying

This will happen in the future if robots take over the jobs. ( a big if though)

Mermoo

I doubt that is much better than her front ;).

A month old story to be outraged about.

I wonder why OP has posted it. X)

lumsdot

​ There is a (Scandinavian, I think) country that does this already and apparently it works quite well, the trouble is if we tried it in this country most of the big employers would just reduce the amount they pay their staff, just like they do now with the working tax credit system.

Have they recovered the money and taken the properties... a million pounds worth of properties and the profits she has made on the investments is more than I suspect she would/could have earned...

It works out at 28,000 pound wage for the seven years in Jail if you just take the 200,000 grand into consideration and when you consider she used it to buy properties its even more than that.

This isn't even the worse case I have seen.

plodging

feel good factor for the masses . Takes your mind off the £500 million … feel good factor for the masses . Takes your mind off the £500 million going missing in health tourism , not being chased, the £50 million we pay in child benefits a year to eu children NOT in the uk, and the billions of unpaid tax avoided by big corporations.

To be honest none of that has anything to do with if we should chase and catch benefit fraudsters...

In my eyes its all criminal (although some of what you listed is loop holes and playing the system) This is fraud and we should be chasing and clamping down on this.

Mermoo

You're gross

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A month old story to be outraged about. I wonder why OP has posted it. X)

if you consider the story is too old for your opinion, thats no worries then, feel free to kindly leave the thread.

davewave

if you consider the story is too old for your opinion, thats no worries … if you consider the story is too old for your opinion, thats no worries then, feel free to kindly leave the thread.

Am I interrupting the quiet, seething, impotent rage?

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Am I interrupting the quiet, seething, impotent rage?

if you aren't happy to discuss with others nicely then kindly leave the thread.

davewave

if you aren't happy to discuss with others nicely then kindly leave the … if you aren't happy to discuss with others nicely then kindly leave the thread.

Discuss what? You didn't ask a question or set up a debate, you simply posted a story about a criminal. What debate were you expecting when she's clearly guilty?

As plodging alluded to it's just something for people to get their daily dose of outrage from.

So here's the debate - why do you need that?

Original Poster

plodging

Of course it's right to bang her up .. But amazing how they can nail … Of course it's right to bang her up .. But amazing how they can nail certain individuals yet seem unable to get the correct tax from big corporations , and the ultra rich pay next to nowt either , if they choose to.

Heard of the bank levy, stamp duty irrespective of tax vehicle, share of tax burden by higher rate taxpayers. Agree that a minority of lawyered up mega corporations rip off governments globally.

How on earth did she get way with for long?
    All her belongings should be sold and she should be left with nothing .Makes me cross when you see ex service people homeless and others .

Me and my wife work as many hours as possible and struggle by supporting our kids. I know someone on benefits who has been to Disney florida this year. That about sums it up.

Original Poster

g8spur

Me and my wife work as many hours as possible and struggle by supporting … Me and my wife work as many hours as possible and struggle by supporting our kids. I know someone on benefits who has been to Disney florida this year. That about sums it up.

Hope that holiday cheered them up, how ALL those on benefits struggle in this country.

davewave

if you aren't happy to discuss with others nicely then kindly leave the … if you aren't happy to discuss with others nicely then kindly leave the thread.

Don't rise to the troll. He's only here to bait.

Original Poster

Mark2111

Don't rise to the troll. He's only here to bait.

agreed probably just Waxx-ing lyrical

I dont understand what 192,000 over 15 years has to do with a 1 million pound property portfolio, seems the paper isnt reporting the full story and she was involved in many many things of which the benefits cheating was small part.

If she wants to pretend to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life why not make it a reality for her? She obviously seems keen on the idea

delboyd

If she wants to pretend to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life … If she wants to pretend to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life why not make it a reality for her? She obviously seems keen on the idea

Go on....

the last comment is scary! They don't know who she really is.

How many more like her are over here?

Mark2111

the last comment is scary! They don't know who she really is. How many … the last comment is scary! They don't know who she really is. How many more like her are over here?

As in mine is scary? Was only messing haha. Better clarify before some maniac lefty writes me an essay on how benefits fraud is actually of benefit to the economy (somehow )

Proceeds of crime act is needed here.

Banned

Not a patch on Philip Greens £500 million fraud

Ironically, it will cost us tax payers more to keep her in prison then it would to have let her carry on her lifestyle!

lol

plodging

Don't forget the £billions paid to bail out the banks. Didn't see / hear about many, (libor affair apart), of them doing jail time for their antics. Justice really is blind.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1219
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33

See more discussions