Wowcamera is a total scam

Posted 24th Jun 2020
Hi all,

I think wowcamera are a bunch of scammers and just want to warn all thinking of purchasing a phone from them.

Ordered a phone from them S10+
Had a fake sticker on top of the original, which was obviously cut.
The phone had some signs of usage although not much, still had the stickers on (could have been put back on by someone.
Quick IMEI check showed the phone was:
Sold By: Austria / 13 January 2020
Ship To: Hungary / 23 January 2020
I bought it in May.

Had a chat with Samsung support and they said they can't guarantee UK warranty for two years as Wowcamera are not in their list of supported suppliers.

If you have an issue with the phone you have to pay return costs yourself!
I've opened a Paypal case with the hope I'll be refunded for the return postage cost, but after a month and a half PayPal decided I have to pay for return costs to Hong-Kong £40+

Reading the trust pilot reviews, apparently Wowcamera give a Hong-Kong return address to all that open a PayPal case, to those dealing with their support team they get a Luxembourg address and forget about postage cost refund.

In the end I decided to get a used one from 4gadgets who are 100% British so you won't have to return phones to the Moon
Community Updates
Top comments
AndyRoyd24/06/2020 09:30

S75 would have been your friend.

Isn’t that an older model
18 Comments
"100% British so you won't have to return phones to the Moon"
41192385-B1vZH.jpg
AndyRoyd24/06/2020 09:30

Isn’t that an older model
deleted231690924/06/2020 09:29

Comment deleted

Not all grey imports
Some good companies out there that post from UK
likr HDEW
Edited by: "snoopy18" 24th Jun
And there allowed on hot deals but I post a comment about something so minor it gets removed and I get a message from mods
Look through the discussions on here.....Issues with WowCamera are well documented.

To be fair they are no better or worse than any of the HK stores....eGlobal/Gearbest etc...

buyer beware and make sure you pay with a credit card.
noonecanhelp124/06/2020 11:01

Comment deleted

where does it say they are registered in Europe? Sure they say they have warehouses in Europe...thats not the same thing though
Uridium24/06/2020 11:47

where does it say they are registered in Europe? Sure they say they have …where does it say they are registered in Europe? Sure they say they have warehouses in Europe...thats not the same thing though

yep my mistake, I paid with PayPal Credit thinking I'd have some protection compared to any other Chinese seller, how wrong I was
end of the day, they sell on ebay for £500 + so I won't lose that much ( I hope)
noonecanhelp124/06/2020 11:56

yep my mistake, I paid with PayPal Credit thinking I'd have some …yep my mistake, I paid with PayPal Credit thinking I'd have some protection compared to any other Chinese seller, how wrong I was end of the day, they sell on ebay for £500 + so I won't lose that much ( I hope)

Payment by "PayPal Credit" = no mistake as S75 is your friend, as previously mentioned. No need to send to China. May have to send to PPC based in Luxembourg, but you could argue for UK destination address (if required) as PP has a presence in UK.

Please keep us posted about your "PayPal Credit" S75 claim.
ashmac24/06/2020 10:48

And there allowed on hot deals but I post a comment about something so …And there allowed on hot deals but I post a comment about something so minor it gets removed and I get a message from mods

That's because HUKD don't make any money from your comments but they get plenty from the companies they allow on here.
noonecanhelp124/06/2020 11:56

yep my mistake, I paid with PayPal Credit thinking I'd have some …yep my mistake, I paid with PayPal Credit thinking I'd have some protection compared to any other Chinese seller, how wrong I was end of the day, they sell on ebay for £500 + so I won't lose that much ( I hope)

Was PayPal Credit receptive to your S75 claim, rather than your PayPal case?
Hi Andy,

thanks for asking!
Yesterday they finally decided to open a dispute over the same case. Those people (bots) in customer service are absolutenightmare!! Shocking
They kept saying the same thing over and over again, I must have jumped through 10 advisors, one even said S75 doesn't apply to them and I said "you couldn't be more wrong"
I gave up and started asking for a letter of deadlock, only then I was transferred to a PayPal credit team, it's beyond me why they didn't do this the first time (I used messaging service)
Now there's a dispute over their decision and I'll have to wait 30-60 days for them to decide

Basically the Wowcamera didn't reply to PayPal and they used the default return address which is of course Hong-Kong, I guess as a way to make people give up returning their item

I'll fight till the end, PayPal get clearly love their cut from wowcamera and don't care about customers.
I'll basically be using my credit card from now
Edited by: "noonecanhelp1" 27th Jun
noonecanhelp127/06/2020 13:09

Hi Andy, thanks for asking!Yesterday they finally decided to open a …Hi Andy, thanks for asking!Yesterday they finally decided to open a dispute over the same case. Those people (bots) in customer service are absolutenightmare!! ShockingThey kept saying the same thing over and over again, I must have jumped through 10 advisors, one even said S75 doesn't apply to them and I said "you couldn't be more wrong" I gave up and started asking for a letter of deadlock, only then I was transferred to a PayPal credit team, it's beyond me why they didn't do this the first time (I used messaging service) Now there's a dispute over their decision and I'll have to wait 30-60 days for them to decide Basically the Wowcamera didn't reply to PayPal and they used the default return address which is of course Hong-Kong, I guess as a way to make people give up returning their item I'll fight till the end, PayPal get clearly love their cut from wowcamera and don't care about customers. I'll basically be using my credit card from now

"Paypal Credit" can open whatever case it wishes but regardless PPC is mandatorily jointly liable as merchant under S75. Consider providing PPC with an 7 day LBA, coincident with filing a PPC complaint of little understanding / awareness / reaction to notification of S75 claim. Likely have to issue the LBA via email / message to avoid postal delays communicating with Luxembourg.
If no acceptable response to LBA, raise complaint with both FOS and CSSF whilist simultaneously considering filing MCOL against closest UK-based PP organisation, maybe the Europe or UK Ltd co's.
AndyRoyd28/06/2020 20:07

"Paypal Credit" can open whatever case it wishes but regardless PPC is …"Paypal Credit" can open whatever case it wishes but regardless PPC is mandatorily jointly liable as merchant under S75. Consider providing PPC with an 7 day LBA, coincident with filing a PPC complaint of little understanding / awareness / reaction to notification of S75 claim. Likely have to issue the LBA via email / message to avoid postal delays communicating with Luxembourg. If no acceptable response to LBA, raise complaint with both FOS and CSSF whilist simultaneously considering filing MCOL against closest UK-based PP organisation, maybe the Europe or UK Ltd co's.

wow thank you Andy! I appreciate it
a lot of terms for me to google
noonecanhelp128/06/2020 21:40

wow thank you Andy! I appreciate it a lot of terms for me to google …wow thank you Andy! I appreciate it a lot of terms for me to google

Just re-read my ramble, and yes it is rubbishly worded. Anyways, to assist decypher:
letter before action
Financial Ombudsman Service (PayPal concede it will recognise FOS, regardless of not otherwise having to by nature of PayPal Credit's non-UK base)
Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier
Money Claim On Line
company.
And in future you'll know why the likes of me have been asking for sites like these to be banned.
MrKrabs28/06/2020 23:09

And in future you'll know why the likes of me have been asking for sites …And in future you'll know why the likes of me have been asking for sites like these to be banned.

The savvy consumer will be happy to consider most foreign sites, providing S75 can be obtained (so £100+ item purchased by direct credit card payment or "PayPal Credit"). The potential hassle factor will be outweiged by the often significantly better prices and or terms compared to same / similar product purchased locally.
Post a comment
@
    Text