Wow...the politically correct may have just plumbed new depths

Found 30th Nov 2017
Don’t Force Young Girls to Hug Their Relatives, the Girl Scouts Say

When relatives and guests make an appearance this holiday season, do not force your daughters to hug them. That’s the latest advice from the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.

“Have you ever insisted, ‘Uncle just got here — go give him a big hug!’ or ‘Auntie gave you that nice toy, go give her a kiss,’ when you were worried your child might not offer affection on her own?” the organization said in a post published this month that drew considerable reaction and, in some cases, backlash. “If yes, you might want to reconsider the urge to do that in the future.”

“Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she ‘owes’ another person any type of physical affection when they’ve bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life.”

Not everyone appreciated the advice.

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Good news for people with sons though, You can still force them to, men never get sexually pressurised/abused.
I never moved giving my grandad a kiss or a hug....I just couldn't understand why I had to be naked and the taste of his tongue.....yuk!!
40 Comments
whats sanitized there will probably creep in here!

nytimes.com/201…tml
Good news for people with sons though, You can still force them to, men never get sexually pressurised/abused.
67% agree, That's pretty concerning.
Maybe you should march about it
catbeans9 m ago

Good news for people with sons though, You can still force them to, men …Good news for people with sons though, You can still force them to, men never get sexually pressurised/abused.

wow they are really addressing your concerns. Cant give your grandpa/grandma a hug now?
I never moved giving my grandad a kiss or a hug....I just couldn't understand why I had to be naked and the taste of his tongue.....yuk!!
mrty1 m ago

I never moved giving my grandad a kiss or a hug....I just couldn't …I never moved giving my grandad a kiss or a hug....I just couldn't understand why I had to be naked and the taste of his tongue.....yuk!!

Some families are different.
Fed up with the girl scouts and their liberal PC loving agenda.
CoeK2 m ago

Fed up with the girl scouts and their liberal PC loving agenda.

missed the point about political correctness doing more damage than good, feel free to move on then.
If you don't do it, don't force your kids too, I don't recall my mother ever kissing grandmother
Segata-Sanshiro3 m ago

If you don't do it, don't force your kids too, I don't recall my mother …If you don't do it, don't force your kids too, I don't recall my mother ever kissing grandmother

by your logic surely you would kiss your mother and therefore expect your child to kiss her grandmother?????
Well, it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the proterozoic era
davewave12 m ago

missed the point about political correctness doing more damage than good, …missed the point about political correctness doing more damage than good, feel free to move on then.

I do feel free, probably because of what i'm wearing.
Why bother what the American Girl Guides do or don't?

This is the UK so it's even more of a non-storey than it already was!
Towelie3 m ago

Why bother what the American Girl Guides do or don't?This is the UK so …Why bother what the American Girl Guides do or don't?This is the UK so it's even more of a non-storey than it already was!

Depends if this type of political correctness infects the UK under the guise of virtue signalling.
Towelie8 m ago

Why bother what the American Girl Guides do or don't?This is the UK so …Why bother what the American Girl Guides do or don't?This is the UK so it's even more of a non-storey than it already was!

It's only a matter of time before the girl scouts copy this and before you know it children won't be hugging family members. From there it is a slippery slope to the ragnarok.
32611210-nHQcj.jpg
RossD891 h, 24 m ago

I feel that this decision by the Girl Guides must have been made while …I feel that this decision by the Girl Guides must have been made while singing "anything you can do, I can do better"Guides allows boys who identify as female to shower with girls

If that spreads to Band Camp, they'll have a population explosion.
Yay! No more hugging creepy uncle Dave!
RossD891 h, 39 m ago

I feel that this decision by the Girl Guides must have been made while …I feel that this decision by the Girl Guides must have been made while singing "anything you can do, I can do better"Guides allows boys who identify as female to shower with girls

I'm so sick of all this crap. It's winding me up no end.
Too right. Hugging should be a sign of affection not something you feel obliged to do just because you are related.
Mind you they have different attitudes to young relatives in the USA as I recall Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin back in the 50s.
Also there are still too many child brides in some states where children under 16 getting married.
davewave3 h, 17 m ago

by your logic surely you would kiss your mother and therefore expect your …by your logic surely you would kiss your mother and therefore expect your child to kiss her grandmother?????

I never kissed my mother, we were not a hugs and kisses family but i remember being expected to kiss granny for some reason
Agharta15 m ago

Too right. Hugging should be a sign of affection not something you feel …Too right. Hugging should be a sign of affection not something you feel obliged to do just because you are related.Mind you they have different attitudes to young relatives in the USA as I recall Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin back in the 50s.Also there are still too many child brides in some states where children under 16 getting married.

Well you have to teach kids its a sign of affection and teach them to show signs they are thankful. As a kid I loved my nan etc. But I wouldn't hug them unless told, done no damage and I learnt how to show affection and thanks. Comparing that to underage marriage is the stupidest thing ever, more stupid than suggesting it leads to sexual abuse or people willing to trade themselves for favours like as suggested in the article.
catbeans12 m ago

Comparing that to underage marriage is the stupidest thing ever, more …Comparing that to underage marriage is the stupidest thing ever, more stupid than suggesting it leads to sexual abuse or people willing to trade themselves for favours like as suggested in the article.

I didn't actually compare it though but mentioned it in passing which is not the same thing at all.
I shan't stoop to calling you stupid for failing to grasp the context as that is just demeaning for no good reason.
Segata-Sanshiro38 m ago

I never kissed my mother, we were not a hugs and kisses family but i …I never kissed my mother, we were not a hugs and kisses family but i remember being expected to kiss granny for some reason

I'd rather kiss my Gran than have her goz on her hanky and wipe my mouth. And that still stands even though she's been dead for 30 years.
deeky6 m ago

I'd rather kiss my Gran than have her goz on her hanky and wipe my mouth. …I'd rather kiss my Gran than have her goz on her hanky and wipe my mouth. And that still stands even though she's been dead for 30 years.

What if she rises after 35 years?
deeky7 m ago

I'd rather kiss my Gran than have her goz on her hanky and wipe my mouth. …I'd rather kiss my Gran than have her goz on her hanky and wipe my mouth. And that still stands even though she's been dead for 30 years.

Nothing worse than giving Gran a kiss at Christmas and her slipping her tongue in!
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

What if she rises after 35 years?

I'd still rather kiss her than have her wipe my face with her goz. Eeewwww.

I hated her anyway, she once ripped the buttons off my duffel coat trying to get me into my trolley to go to nursery when I didn't want to go
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Nov 2017
deeky17 m ago

I'd still rather kiss her than have her wipe my face with her goz. …I'd still rather kiss her than have her wipe my face with her goz. Eeewwww.I hated her anyway, she once ripped the buttons off my duffel coat trying to get me into my trolley to go to nursery when I didn't want to go

Couldn't afford a pushchair so had to nick a trolley from tesco?
Segata-Sanshiro6 m ago

Couldn't afford a pushchair so had to nick a trolley from tesco?

Pushchairs weren't invented back then. We had trolleys or prams
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Nov 2017
deeky23 m ago

Pushchairs weren't invented back then. We had trolleys or prams

So now we all know you predate 1965
Segata-Sanshiro2 m ago

So now we all know you predate 1965

I thought everyone already knew that Not like you to not be abreast of things
Agharta1 h, 26 m ago

I didn't actually compare it though but mentioned it in passing which is …I didn't actually compare it though but mentioned it in passing which is not the same thing at all.I shan't stoop to calling you stupid for failing to grasp the context as that is just demeaning for no good reason.

Oh of course in passing, I couldnt of possibly miss infer it From "Mind you they have different attitudes to young relatives in the USA as I recall..." In your post on the subject.

My apologies.
Edited by: "catbeans" 30th Nov 2017
RossD895 h, 24 m ago

Having just briefly read that article I do hope that if and when that guideline change goes tits up those who supported the change will be held fully accountable with a long custodial sentence.

As for the "go hug/kiss family"

1 - We were taught manners in my day

2 - We were taught to "go say thank you to ...."

3 - We were also taught if you don't know then ask.

My nana (grandma to most but she hated to be called grandma or similar) preferred me making a cuppa to giving her a kiss from what I remember although I do have flashbacks of the handkerchief coming out of her pocket, being licked and then rubbed on my face for some lame excuse.

Everyone / every family is different and we shouldn't need to change our ways just because of a small minority of abusers/paedos.

We should teach our children manners, respect, right and wrong and encourage them to not be afraid to talk openly if they feel the need to.
Kissing your gran or aunty is a great way of spreading herpes simplex, you know ...cold sores, I suffered with them as a kid, relatives and their saliva are to blame, keep away from them is my advice.
Having read this guidance, I thought it was very well written in setting out boundaries and what not to expect that's contrary to natural tendency.
I find it odd that DaveWave would care enough about this obscure, American issue that he would make a thread about it on Misc.

DaveWave, is there any particular reason that you would balk at this news? Why do you think little girls should be forced to hug and kiss people they don't want to go anywhere near? Do your attitudes here tie in with the beliefs you've expressed elsewhere that you thought it was okay to hit children?
I used to dread visiting Aunt Fanny (yes that was her name!), she used to squeeze the life out of you, and all i remember of her was her sodding mohair jumpers which smelt of cake and cats and being barely able to breathe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants