Wrapping insulation tape around the terminal block

Found 5th Mar 2015
I bought the Birch leaf 3 light ceiling light from Argos, which was a deal mentioned on here 6 days, 16 hours ago now. I've just taken it out of the box to put up, but it says to 'wrap insulation tape around the terminal block'. There is a connector block that came with it - is this just another name for the terminal block? Also, does it matter what colour of insulation tape is used? Thank you.
Community Updates
AskInsulation
24 Comments
Yes , it's OK to wrap insulation tape around the terminal block and cabling after you've wired the block for extra safety . I do the same but use different coloured tape .
No offense but if you are asking questions like this you really need to get someone who knows what they are doing to connect it up.
Original Poster
paul123edwards

No offense but if you are asking questions like this you really need to get someone who knows what they are doing to connect it up.

I've had a proper look at the instructions now, and know what to do as regards connecting the wires with the connector. Only query I really have is what colour tape to use - thought by asking here, it would save me a trip to Screwfix.
I think I remember the deal you mean..
oh no forget that mine was 5 days and 16hrs ago.
Like Paul says I think it may be best if you ask someone else to help you.
you don't really want to be getting your wires muddled up
Original Poster
ricko

Yes , it's OK to wrap insulation tape around the terminal block and cabling after you've wired the block for extra safety . I do the same but use different coloured tape .

Do you mind me asking how many wraps around the terminal block - would 2-3 times around be sufficient, or a few more? Thank you.
Yes about 3 times . Below is the basic principle of wiring a light fitting . Normally you would use a block of 3 terminals ie .live , [red or brown] , neutral [black or blue ]and earth [ green or green striped ] . If the block is loose [ not attached to the fitting ] wrap the whole block with tape , any colour will do for block .
http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Rickardo_21/media/terminal_zpspmr7dzlg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/Rickardo_21/terminal_zpspmr7dzlg.jpg[/URL][/img]
Sophiasky

I've had a proper look at the instructions now, and know what to do as regards connecting the wires with the connector. Only query I really have is what colour tape to use - thought by asking here, it would save me a trip to Screwfix.

The only difficult thing Sophia is trying to hold the light when connecting the wires so its a much easier job if someone can hold the light for you.
Edited by: "lianne21" 5th Mar 2015
Sophiasky

Do you mind me asking how many wraps around the terminal block - would 2-3 times around be sufficient, or a few more? Thank you.

Connector block and terminal block or chocolate block connector should all be the same. see http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=chocolate%20block%20connector

Just use black electrical tape around the screw part of the terminal block. I guess it's to prevent natural selection and hinder those with strong suicidal tendencies from an quick release from life by jabbing two screw drivers in.

Original Poster
ricko

Yes about 3 times . Below is the basic principle of wiring a light fitting . Normally you would use a block of 3 terminals ie .live , [red or brown] , neutral [black or blue ]and earth [ green or green striped ] . If the  block is loose [ not attached to the fitting ] wrap the whole block with tape , any colour will do for block .[/url][/img]

The block is exactly the same one that is shown in the picture, and yes, it is loose. Thank you for your advice.
Original Poster
Sophiasky

The block is exactly the same one that is shown in the picture, and yes, it is loose. Thank you for your advice.

Just one further question, where you have the blue wires going in at the top, they are covered in black tape, do you think I should wrap tape around any of the coloured wires going into the block (like in the picture) as well as around the loose block?
Sophiasky

Just one further question, where you have the blue wires going in at the … Just one further question, where you have the blue wires going in at the top, they are covered in black tape, do you think I should wrap tape around any of the coloured wires going into the block (like in the picture) as well as around the loose block?

That's not tape. It will be a type of heat resistant sleeve. You won't need to put any round the electrical wires going in.
paul123edwards

No offense but if you are asking questions like this you really need to get someone who knows what they are doing to connect it up.

I understand where you're coming from but unless this fitting is in a safe zone the OP is legally within his rights to sit fire to his house/kill himself etc
Original Poster
Thank you for all of your help, just need to go out and buy some tape now.
I know it is common sense but please make sure the power is off,do not attempt changing whilst wires are live.
I am only posting this as I have seen someone attempting a light fitting change whilst live !!!!!!!!!
Original Poster
baldydave

I know it is common sense but please make sure the power is off,do not … I know it is common sense but please make sure the power is off,do not attempt changing whilst wires are live.I am only posting this as I have seen someone attempting a light fitting change whilst live !!!!!!!!!

No, that's ok. I have done some electrical jobs already and always make sure that absolutely everything is turned off, just to make sure. Thank you for the advice anyway.
Hallsie

I understand where you're coming from but unless this fitting is in a … I understand where you're coming from but unless this fitting is in a safe zone the OP is legally within his rights to sit fire to his house/kill himself etc

I find this reply staggering.

Maybe the OP is not breaking the law (but I am not so sure about that, they would be liable should something happen). What if the badly fitted unit gives another person a shock or the resulting fire kills next doors kids? Yes I know it is unlikely but it can happen. The OP clearly had no idea how to wire the unit or the reasons for the insulation tape being required. Surely it is worth spending a few quid just to get the job done safely?
Sophiasky

Just one further question, where you have the blue wires going in at the … Just one further question, where you have the blue wires going in at the top, they are covered in black tape, do you think I should wrap tape around any of the coloured wires going into the block (like in the picture) as well as around the loose block?

No , you dont need to ,but make sure there are no visible wires , I mean the copper wire's inside the plastic coating .All the wires should be neatly inserted into the block , blue to blue ,brown to brown and green[earth] to green and screwed tightly . Then wrap the whole block with insulation tape .You should always use a insulated screwdriver and/or even a one that lights up if the circuit is live [ for testing purposes] and remember .............never take chances with electricity and double check all the work you do .

I totally understand why people have a go at these jobs themselves . Getting a tradesman out can be very expensive and you don't always get a professional job . Ideally ,if you have a tradesman friend or relative always ask them first if your not competent yourself .
baldydave

I know it is common sense but please make sure the power is off,do not … I know it is common sense but please make sure the power is off,do not attempt changing whilst wires are live.I am only posting this as I have seen someone attempting a light fitting change whilst live !!!!!!!!!

OOOh bet that was sore!Thank God someone mentioned turning the power off when doing electrics!!!
lianne21

The only difficult thing Sophia is trying to hold the light when … The only difficult thing Sophia is trying to hold the light when connecting the wires so its a much easier job if someone can hold the light for you.

That means 2 body bags will be needed.
Forgot to say, black ones.
paul123edwards

I find this reply staggering.Maybe the OP is not breaking the law (but I … I find this reply staggering.Maybe the OP is not breaking the law (but I am not so sure about that, they would be liable should something happen). What if the badly fitted unit gives another person a shock or the resulting fire kills next doors kids? Yes I know it is unlikely but it can happen. The OP clearly had no idea how to wire the unit or the reasons for the insulation tape being required. Surely it is worth spending a few quid just to get the job done safely?

My attempt at some dark humour has obviously failed. What I also find incredulous is that the OP is well within his rights to fit another light fitting without the intervention of a competent person asking for money.

Insulation tape is not going to make anything "safe" at the end of the day.
Original Poster
ricko

Yes about 3 times . Below is the basic principle of wiring a light … Yes about 3 times . Below is the basic principle of wiring a light fitting . Normally you would use a block of 3 terminals ie .live , [red or brown] , neutral [black or blue ]and earth [ green or green striped ] . If the block is loose [ not attached to the fitting ] wrap the whole block with tape , any colour will do for block .[/url][/img]

This is what my new light fitting looks like. However, after removing the ceiling rose, I have found it to be on a 3-loop circuit (with only 1 earth wire).

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u92ulx.jpg[/img]

Do I need to get a block of 4/5 terminals instead? Thank you.
Original Poster
Here is the actual light fitting that should be going up in place of the ceiling rose:-

http://i60.tinypic.com/15eeo83.jpg[/img]
Ahh ! I had a felling your existing ceiling rose would be the modern type and most new lights wont fit around the existing rose . What I have seen done , this seems to be the norm too is join the incoming cables with terminal blocks and take the required live:neutral:earth from each block to the new light fitting . So, join the lives , join the neutrals and the earth , really that is what your existing rose is . if you look at it [ I have one here ] you have a brass block of three [NEUTRAL] a brass block of three [LOOP] and a brass block of two [LIVE] as in your post 22 .
I have just fitted a similar setup to your new light , a three bulb chandelier but the modern rose had already been removed ,terminal blocks fitted and stuffed into the loft space .

Please note : doing this is not for the faint hearted , most people would say get a sparky in to do it . Any wrong doing could invalidate your house insurance .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants