Writing a Book - Where to Start?

Found 18th Nov 2017
A good friend of mine is thinking about writing a book but doesn't know where the best place to start is. Is there anyone out there who could provide some advice, guidance, pitfalls to avoid, things to consider going forward?

Any resource ideas would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Where to start ????? How about at the beginning !!!!!!

I would think there are as many ways to write a book as there are authors.

Your friend should decide whether he's going to write fiction or non-fiction first and take it from there.

I have thought about writing a book but abandoned the idea. It depends on what he wants to do with the book. Is it for his children to read or to get it published?

you can join writing classes. if i did write a book and i wanted it to get published, i would approach the publishers and outline my story or idea for the book and ask if they would be interested before i put any effort into it.

It doesn't matter, just get writing. Once you have the rough draft then you can look around for advice on editing and improving it.

Early on the main thing is to get it written and the how isn't important.

EndlessWaves4 m ago

It doesn't matter, just get writing. Once you have the rough draft then …It doesn't matter, just get writing. Once you have the rough draft then you can look around for advice on editing and improving it.Early on the main thing is to get it written and the how isn't important.

Are you giving this advice from experience? On the face of it, starting something without planning doesnt sound like a great idea. He may have to rewrite the whole thing, so wasted effort. That is my guess any way

"Once upon a time".....

Chapter 7

mutley12 h, 3 m ago

Are you giving this advice from experience? On the face of it, starting …Are you giving this advice from experience? On the face of it, starting something without planning doesnt sound like a great idea. He may have to rewrite the whole thing, so wasted effort. That is my guess any way

Without knowing the person it's hard to say, but for many people the important thing for their first large writing project is to get stuck in and do the work. You need a sense of what's involved and how you write before you can sensibly organise things.

I don't have any experience writing the sort of stuff that would go into a book, but I do a lot of writing and have spent weeks writing for a single project.

Try Wattpad . Wattpad. . You can write your story there, save it, edit it, share it and get feedback from other users. You can share it with friends or get someone to proof read it.
Once you are happy you can 'publish' it on the site. You don't have to complete your story before you publish it - in fact many people publish a chapter at a time after listening to feedback.
Some people have got edited/publishing deals from their experiences on Wattpad. And it's FREE!!

mutley121 h, 29 m ago

Are you giving this advice from experience? On the face of it, starting …Are you giving this advice from experience? On the face of it, starting something without planning doesnt sound like a great idea. He may have to rewrite the whole thing, so wasted effort. That is my guess any way

It is actually excellent advice.
The difficult thing with writing is the actual writing. You will always do rewrites as part of the process and if you are not used to writing then you are better to just get something down that you can assess and amend than you are to worry about structure/plot etc.
Sure you need structure and plot (if fiction) but what makes or breaks a book is the marketing budget the actual writing. You need to write some to get a consistent voice/style.

mas999 h, 48 m ago

It is actually excellent advice. The difficult thing with writing is the …It is actually excellent advice. The difficult thing with writing is the actual writing. You will always do rewrites as part of the process and if you are not used to writing then you are better to just get something down that you can assess and amend than you are to worry about structure/plot etc. Sure you need structure and plot (if fiction) but what makes or breaks a book is the marketing budget the actual writing. You need to write some to get a consistent voice/style.

agreed it's not bad advice at all, have toyed with writing since i was a kid, mainly as a therapy for stress
If it's fiction they fancy, tell them to try knocking up a few short stories and let people read them, readers are the best judges and many "courses" actually teach the opposite of what most great writers produce.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions