Wrong Postcode but rest of address is correct.

Posted 12th Sep 2019
I've ordered a new phone Sim Free from eglobal. I'm an idiot for not deleting my old addresses from chrome auto fill, so when I put in my email during the email it changed my postcode to my old house.

As a result, every single aspect of my address is correct (House number, Street, Village, Town, County, Mobile Number all correct) on the order, apart from my postcode which will put the driver about 2 minutes up the road from my new house.

What's the chances he will figure out the postcode is wrong? Since the item is shipping from Hong Kong originally I'm bricking it thinking it's going to get lost, which will be £325 down the drain. To what extent is postcode used to find addresses compared to say using the actual street?

I'm not sure what courier it is yet, as it's in a 'packing' phase with eglobal they haven't given me a tracking number yet. So I'm just hoping someone here has experience with this situation and can stop me bricking it!
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
It won't get lost, it might possibly get bad addressed if there is a discrepancy but they'll then contact you, or you can contact the courier company to advise which is correct out of the two.
If it's only a couple minutes down the road you should be fine. The driver most likely will be knowledgeable of the streets in your area and will see the house number, street, and village and know where it is going, worst comes to the worst they'd take it back to the depot as a post code does not normally refer to an individual specific address. Why not send an email to eGlobal and ask them if they can ammend the address? Or like you say, just wait until the tracking shows what courier will be delivering it and then ring the depot.
I have tried to update eglobal, first thing I did Just worried it won't get sorted in time.

I will contact the courier as soon as I get a tracking ID too.
The driver will go by address not postcode.
Good luck. There are two number 30's at this postcode. Regular postal /delivery guys read the address and delivery to the right house, but quite frequently we get each others mail and parcels.
Postcode isn't specific to a particular address, but rather to an area (a small area) on a map. So if you've moved to number 7 from number 9, then it's most likely (if it does go to the wrong address) to go to number 9 at the old postcode - not number 7 where you lived. Does that make sense to you?
Yea I know postcode is typically linked to a street, or one side of a street or to a tiny area. My biggest concern is that my house is number 15 within my current street + postcode and there will be a 15 at the wrong postcode also, I guess they could end up at that house. However, assuming they look at road names too they will realise it's the wrong road.
If it was a postcode for a different city it would cause problems as the postcode is what a sorting office looks at when sorting mail for each area, as it is only a few streets away your parcel should get the the correct sorting office and then the courier service will no longer use the postcode but the actual address for delivery so all should be good.....
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 12th Sep 2019
Fingers crossed!
The post code is mainly used for delivery company to plan delivery route
I ordered a phone from eGlobal a couple of weeks ago and hermes was the courier. Hermes sent an email giving options to track and divert the delivery.
eglobal got back to me, they said they have updated my postal code. It doesn't show on my order page, but hopefully it will be visible once I can track my order.

Wish they were a bit quicker, ordered it on the 4th september and it's not been sent yet
montecarlos13/09/2019 07:54

eglobal got back to me, they said they have updated my postal code. It …eglobal got back to me, they said they have updated my postal code. It doesn't show on my order page, but hopefully it will be visible once I can track my order.Wish they were a bit quicker, ordered it on the 4th september and it's not been sent yet

It's not been dispatched yet?
montecarlos12/09/2019 10:04

Yea I know postcode is typically linked to a street, or one side of a …Yea I know postcode is typically linked to a street, or one side of a street or to a tiny area. My biggest concern is that my house is number 15 within my current street + postcode and there will be a 15 at the wrong postcode also, I guess they could end up at that house. However, assuming they look at road names too they will realise it's the wrong road.

or a whole village/town if you live in the sticks
notalwaysright1913/09/2019 08:02

It's not been dispatched yet?

Just got email about 1 hour ago saying it's been dispatched.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants