Found 4th Jun 2010
What's the best thing to paint them with,Hammerite or something else?

1. Misc
  2. Iron
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Iron
20 Comments

Have they got a layer of paint on them already?

Banned

hammerite is great assuming bare metal or well rubbed back

Original Poster

They have got paint on them already,they don't need rubbing down or anything,no rust,i just wanted to freshen them up a bit.

Banned

deb8z;8761184

They have got paint on them already,they don't need rubbing down or … They have got paint on them already,they don't need rubbing down or anything,no rust,i just wanted to freshen them up a bit.

need to sand a bit else the new paint will flake off

Original Poster

lumoruk;8761203

need to sand a bit else the new paint will flake off

I didn't sand them last year and the paint hasn't flaked off, i just put gloss paint on them,now my OH piped up saying i should use Hammerite:w00t:

I always use Hammerite on ours, but I think you can use any metal paint. Usually do ours every couple of years and have never sanded them down yet over the 10 years we've had them.

Original Poster

KazzyD;8761465

I always use Hammerite on ours, but I think you can use any metal paint. … I always use Hammerite on ours, but I think you can use any metal paint. Usually do ours every couple of years and have never sanded them down yet over the 10 years we've had them.

Phew,thought i was in trouble then,although my neighbout doesn't sand hers either and they are fine:-D

Best getting them shot blasted/galvanised and then powder coated if they are really bad.
Will last a lifetime and virtually no work required from yourself, although you will pay for it.

Original Poster

I've just said ^^^^,there's no rust on them,i did have them galvanised when i bought them,they just need a paint touch up every now and again

deb8z;8761937

I've just said ^^^^,there's no rust on them,i did have them galvanised … I've just said ^^^^,there's no rust on them,i did have them galvanised when i bought them,they just need a paint touch up every now and again

Think Hammerite is overated, ordinary metal paint just as good.

Banned

you painted them with gloss! Surprised it hasnt all fallen off tbh

Original Poster

csiman;8765303

you painted them with gloss! Surprised it hasnt all fallen off tbh

I never thought about getting a panit specifically for metal,my OH was surprised too.

It's not come off at all,still looks fine now,its the other gate i need to do now as i didn't do it last year:thumbsup:

Banned

deb8z;8768211

I never thought about getting a panit specifically for metal,my OH was … I never thought about getting a panit specifically for metal,my OH was surprised too.It's not come off at all,still looks fine now,its the other gate i need to do now as i didn't do it last year:thumbsup:

just use the gloss then ;-)

Original Poster

csiman;8770914

just use the gloss then ;-)

I was going to it's my OH's fault putting the idea of a metal paint into my head arghhhh:w00t:

Banned

Hammerite is just a brand.....ask him if he knows any others

id imagine hell just look with a blank open mouthed face.........confiming his new nickname as the flycatcher

lol at just painting over paint tho......lazy

Original Poster

casparwhite;8771539

Hammerite is just a brand.....ask him if he knows any othersid imagine … Hammerite is just a brand.....ask him if he knows any othersid imagine hell just look with a blank open mouthed face.........confiming his new nickname as the flycatcherlol at just painting over paint tho......lazy

Why is it lazy,there is no rust,they have been galvanised,they don't need any attention really,it's me being picky.

How many people do you know who sand down wrought iron gates that ain't rusty etc,there's no need to create work for myself.

I'm amazed at how many things on this forum you think you're an expert on:roll:

Banned

deb8z;8777895

Why is it lazy,there is no rust,they have been galvanised,they don't need … Why is it lazy,there is no rust,they have been galvanised,they don't need any attention really,it's me being picky.How many people do you know who sand down wrought iron gates that ain't rusty etc,there's no need to create work for myself.I'm amazed at how many things on this forum you think you're an expert on:roll:

lets just say im a handy man who has travelled the world

painting over paint is lazy........doesnt take a genius to work that out nor an "expert"

Original Poster

We'll have to agree to disagree,my gates are in perfect condition,no flaking or rusting,so called experts will probably say otherwise to gain work.

I'll stick to what i know,they are fine me doing as i've always done:thumbsup:

I should have stuck with my gut instinct and not asked on here.

Banned

As the gates are galvanised, the important thing to do is use primer designed for use on galvanised metal
after that, any external gloss paint or hammerite will perform just as well, hammerite is best used when stuff is a bit rusty and you dont want to also be bothered with a primer, but on galvanised you have no option or it will just fall off

hammerite make a product for this:

Special Metal Primer For Aluminium Brass Copper Galvanised & Other Non-Ferrous Metals

Original Poster

jubbyme;8781401

As the gates are galvanised, the important thing to do is use primer … As the gates are galvanised, the important thing to do is use primer designed for use on galvanised metalafter that, any external gloss paint or hammerite will perform just as well, hammerite is best used when stuff is a bit rusty and you dont want to also be bothered with a primer, but on galvanised you have no option or it will just fall offhammerite make a product for this: Special Metal Primer For Aluminium Brass Copper Galvanised & Other Non-Ferrous Metals

An intelligent answer,thank you:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    2. Whey protien629
    3. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...811
    4. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet68

See more discussions