EXPIRED

WTB: hybrid bike, overwhelmed with info!

I used to be an avid cycler back in the day, although havne't owned a bike for over a decade and things have changed quite a bit!

looking around these forums confuses me somewhat. hopefully i can get some tailored advice

basically looking for:

- up to £300 budget
- gears (no single gear bike)
- front shocks (stiff i'm guessing, as it'll be mainly road biking)
- hybrid would be nice as i may do some trail biking, but very very "non hardcore" stuff, even a regular road bike would do if that's recommended

also on a side note, do any online vendors work with the cycle to work scheme? or do i need to go in store?

Thanks!

7 Comments

Original Poster

anyone? i know there are quite a few bikers!

i've been looking at various sites. wondering how heavy hybrid bikes are? ideally i want something light that i can have some fun with too - silly wheelies etc, not something heavy and tank like

chamelion;5389855

anyone? i know there are quite a few bikers!i've been looking at various … anyone? i know there are quite a few bikers!i've been looking at various sites. wondering how heavy hybrid bikes are? ideally i want something light that i can have some fun with too - silly wheelies etc, not something heavy and tank like

Hi mate.

I'll try and help as much as I can.

Hybrids is quite a broad term. It usually means that it takes the best of both worlds from Mountain Bikes and Road bikes to create a "Jack of all trades" bike. However, depending on the bike, it could be more skewed towards either.

From your needs description, I would be inclined to go for a more mountain bike skewed hybrid (The characteristics of which would be thicker 26inch slick tyres, lots of gears, front shocks).

This would give a good balance on on-road performance (the slick road tyres will have lower rolling resistence) and off road capabilities (the tyres will be thick enough for better handling and balance)

You might not find much info on weight as its not a huge consideration when choosing a hybrid (compared to a race bike).

£300 should be enough for a decent bike to do what you want but obviously will be far from top of the range. For that price point, I have heard alot of good things on the Subway Carrera 1 and 2 from Halfords.

Carerra 1 - halfords.com/web…534

Carerra 2 - halfords.com/web…534

I also like this bike chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…442

It comes with knobbley tyres which I would swap out for slick ones straight away but for the money, you do get a decent set of very good components.

I have the Specialized Expedition Elite - evanscycles.com/pro…476

Which I would highly recommend for all your requirements except for doing wheelies etc. (you probably will be able to) but this is a comfort commuting hybrid and is amazingly comfortable and high quality but due to the high upright position, its not very racy (I have my Specialized Allez Elite for that!!).

So anyways, to sum up, I think the Subway would be a great choice and got great reviews off Bikeradar.com who are not normally impressed with many bikes below £800 so the fact that they gave this Subway such good review is testament to how well thought of it is.

Review here - bikeradar.com/gea…831

Anyways, hope you found this useful. Let me know if you need any more info. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

amazing, thanks so much for all the info think i've got a great place to start the read up on

Original Poster

is the "Carrera Crossfire 2" any good? like the front shocks and number of gears. fairly pricey though...

Have a look at the Boardman range of Hybrids - unfortunately they are only sold through Halfords, don't let that deter you as they are excellent bikes - you regularly see good second hand ones on ebay .

Have a look at this one evanscycles.com/pro…360, what you want for the right price.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/121/a89/6f3/32864/large/scott-sportster-p5-2009-hybrid-bike-.jpg

From Evans' website re Ride2Work:

1. Employer becomes a member of the Evans Cycles Ride2Work programme
2. Employee chooses bike and accessories from Evans Cycles
3. Employer asks Evans Cycles for a voucher to cover the retail price of the
purchase
4. Voucher is posted directly to employee’s home
5. Employee redeems voucher in any Evans Cycles store or through the Evans
Cycles mail order service
6. Employee’s salary sacrifice begins in his or her next salary

So you don't actually need to go to a store as Mail Order is mentioned.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)22
    2. Morrisons Cafe45
    3. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?710
    4. Laser eye surgery11

See more discussions