Looking for a laptop for business use with the following minimum requirements;
7th Gen CPU
No GPU required
8gb Ram
256 SSD
15" screen can be 17"
Decent battery life 6 hours minimum
1080p minimum
The size, weight and looks are totally irrelevant, so can be as ugly or hefty as one can be.

7 Comments

for starters you said for business. what you should give is more information about what you will use the laptop for. E.G Internet, MS office,
or you need to have more power and better screen for say photo/video work?
also how many monitors do you need it to power when in the office?

E.G a £300 laptop can be good for business if they just doing office work like Internet, MS office,

I use a Lenovo T430 (running Linux Redhat and not windows and have VM of windows on it) at work even tho it is 4 years old i have had no issues and I work in IT and the laptop is built like a tank. some people i work with have updated there machine to dell but a little drop and the laptop is a in the bin.
At home I use a macbook pro mainly because my other half knows nothing about machine and means i don't have to clean it for viruses each time i need to use it.

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 21st Feb

Dell Inspiron 7567 although slightly above your budget.

Maybe consider a 3XS custom build laptop through Scan.co.uk?

Original Poster

djmackie2000

for starters you said for business. what you should give is more … for starters you said for business. what you should give is more information about what you will use the laptop for. E.G Internet, MS office, or you need to have more power and better screen for say photo/video work?also how many monitors do you need it to power when in the office?E.G a £300 laptop can be good for business if they just doing office work like Internet, MS office, I use a Lenovo T430 (running Linux Redhat and not windows and have VM of windows on it) at work even tho it is 4 years old i have had no issues and I work in IT and the laptop is built like a tank. some people i work with have updated there machine to dell but a little drop and the laptop is a in the bin. At home I use a macbook pro mainly because my other half knows nothing about machine and means i don't have to clean it for viruses each time i need to use it.

Just general business use, as you've mentioned MS office, internet, possibly other few softwares not very hardware intensive. The reason I'd like 7th gen cpu which might be an overkill at the moment, but it's so that I don't need to upgrade within couple of years. 1080p is just nice to look at, wouldn't need anything higher, or even duo monitors.

Original Poster

jpxdude

Dell Inspiron 7567 although slightly above your budget.Maybe consider a … Dell Inspiron 7567 although slightly above your budget.Maybe consider a 3XS custom build laptop through Scan.co.uk?

Dell Inspiron 7567 - I think the GPU raises the price of this laptop by £200, otherwise a perfect fit.

Wouldn't want to go with a custom built laptop, as I don't think they're as reliable as mass produced ones. I know they're cheaper and the parts itself could be the same, but from ground up i.e. the chassis and stuff are probably not as good as others.

jamaza

Just general business use, as you've mentioned MS office, internet, … Just general business use, as you've mentioned MS office, internet, possibly other few softwares not very hardware intensive. The reason I'd like 7th gen cpu which might be an overkill at the moment, but it's so that I don't need to upgrade within couple of years. 1080p is just nice to look at, wouldn't need anything higher, or even duo monitors.

Dell, Lenovo i would go with if i was looking for a business use if Macbooks are not supported.

But Remember if you pay like £300 now and in 3 year time buy a another laptop for £300 that last for another 3 years then you will save money in the long run. also get more warranty think most business laptops comes with 3 years cover.
also not loosing out if you drop and brake the laptop that much. but guessing business insurance should cover it

also I hear that google is working on quantum laptop and rummer is next year not sure about the cost but guessing they will be to much for most people if they pull it off.

Original Poster

djmackie2000

Dell, Lenovo i would go with if i was looking for a business use if … Dell, Lenovo i would go with if i was looking for a business use if Macbooks are not supported. But Remember if you pay like £300 now and in 3 year time buy a another laptop for £300 that last for another 3 years then you will save money in the long run. also get more warranty thing most business laptops comes with 3 years cover also I hear that google is working on quantum laptop and rummer is next of next year not sure about the cost but guessing they will be to much for most people if they pull it off.

I might reconsider and go for something cheaper, it's just when you start looking at laptops you quickly climb to 1000's .. XPS 15 would be great (older one) but it's still holding it's price.

I think i'll look for something in 500 region, so then when it is time to upgrade it isn't going to kill me. Thanks for your support.

P.S. I think i'll stick with binary for the time being.. I'm sure a quantum one would definitely be an overkill
Edited by: "jamaza" 21st Feb

jamaza

I might reconsider and go for something cheaper, it's just when you start … I might reconsider and go for something cheaper, it's just when you start looking at laptops you quickly climb to 1000's .. XPS 15 would be great (older one) but it's still holding it's price.I think i'll look for something in 500 region, so then when it is time to upgrade it isn't going to kill me. Thanks for your support.

most laptop life span they say is around 4-5 year mark. I even read that about macbooks.
also batteries cost last time i looked around £60+ and they say batteries last around 4 years. (after year 1 they drop down to 80-90% they say. same as most rechargeable batteries)

I should say i have a HP laptop that was bought in 2012/13 still working but very slow on the internet (cannot stream HD videos) and batteries are gone. but is a backup machine now.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861869
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet911
    3. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.610
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…49112

See more discussions