Groups

WTD: Advice with regards modding my Wii

First and foremost, i believe I have a right to backup my games when I pay £40 a game and my dog is a dog that enjoys chewing.
    Anyway,
    My wii's serial is LEH2213blabla, from what I understand it, that makes this GC2-D2E, therefore my mod chip options are.
    *D2Pro9 v2 (D2C2), v3 (D2E)
    * Wasabi
    * Wiizard
    * D2Sun v1.31+, v3+
    * D2Lite
    * WiiKey 2
    I need the modchip to do it's duties, be solderless and click into place easily and I assume be updateable(can I update the wii with a modchip in place?)
    Can somebody recommend me the best chip and possibly a good reliable uk retailer? I'm sorry I'm so "n00bish" but advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

13 Comments

you can use wii brick blocker

Original Poster

So is there nobody here with enough knowledge to advise me at all?

I shall be watching this thread with interest as I also have the same questions as you :-D

You'd probably be better off asking this sort of question on a site which deals with Wii mods. GBATemp and Disqworld spring to mind.

I have a D2Pro9 V3 chip on a solderless clip. However, many people claim clips may damage your machine or are unreliable. Mine has been fine. I think Wasabi and D2Pro9 got the best reviews when I bought mine.

Yesterday I did the install for the softmod on the Wii just to see what it was like. For nothing (assuming you have an SD card lying around and an original version of Zelda Twilight Princess) it has got to be worth considering - though at the moment there is about 90% compatibility on games.

can I play backups using softmod?
    I have a SD card, do I need anything else to play a backup?
    How can I connect the SD card to WII?

snam_34;3636560

a) can I play backups using softmod?b) I have a SD card, do I need … a) can I play backups using softmod?b) I have a SD card, do I need anything else to play a backup?c) How can I connect the SD card to WII?

Answers to above.

a) Yes - that's the whole point of the softmod
    b) You don't even need the SD card to play a backup. You do need an SD card to do the softmod though - plus an original version of Zelda Twilight Princess.
    c) In the little slot on the front of the Wii.

Thanks,
    Where can I found information how to run a backup uding softmod?
    How can I make a backup from a game (I have the CD/DVD for the game)?
    where can I buy a Zelda Twilight Princess?

Regards

There are various places with information and it can take a lot of reading to make sure you have the right files. If you PM me I can give you a link to one I am going to try.

Here is one freely available

iol.ie/~ta…tml

You can buy Zelda Twilight Princess on these very forums. I just did. Alternatively try Ebay, Game, Gamestation etc. Or borrow it from the library or Lovefilm... or a neighbour/friend...
    I think there are instructions for how to make a backup of your game in there somewhere too.

Avoid wii clips if possible... mines doesn't boot up my WiiKey now (or it could be the WiiKey which is dead)

I'm going to soft mod. my Wii soon, it's just sitting gathering dust.

quackstar84;3641590

Avoid wii clips if possible... mines doesn't boot up my WiiKey now (or it … Avoid wii clips if possible... mines doesn't boot up my WiiKey now (or it could be the WiiKey which is dead)

have you knocked the wii since its been installed, its only clipped on, i've never had a report of a wii clip gone wrong from my friends, thats the reason why i ask

fwibble;3641617

have you knocked the wii since its been installed, its only clipped on, … have you knocked the wii since its been installed, its only clipped on, i've never had a report of a wii clip gone wrong from my friends, thats the reason why i ask

The wii doesn't have it's case any longer, i've removed it. I've checked the wii clip and the chip it sits on, the wii clip connections are fine although the chip's connectors were bent (It's a real wii clip as well) but I sorted that out, put the clip back on and still no good. I've tried it with the drive upside down with me pressing on the clip and still no luck (unlucky ), must either be a bad solider or a dead chip... bless. I've been on my 360 and PC.. so i'm sound. That left4dead is boring now though =*(.

Original Poster

Right, I've done lots of reading and I'm really quite impressed by the softmodding ability of the Wii, when I read 90% of games I thought that would be the reason to go for hard mod. However the list of compatible games is massive so this seems really viable, I just have some questions if someone in the know can help me?

Would it be possible to completely remove all traces of the softmod completely? I've googled this but can't find anything, I'd assume you could do this by formatting your wii through the main menu?

How easy is it to brick a Wii softmodding??

Once softmodded what are the dangers? Do you simply just not click to update the Wii and everything will be allright?

Lastly, do you have to patch every single game to make sure they also don't attempt to update the wii console?

Thanks again for all replies, rep's a coming
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767216
      2. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator35
      3. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927343
      4. love affairs79

See more discussions