Groups

WTD - Coffee Machine Info

Hey, would appreciate any help here. I, like most people enjoy a good Starbucks.
    So much so, I have decided to refrain from spending fortunes on them and upgrade my cafetiere and buy a decent coffee machine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good coffee machine, I do have some requirements.
    I want to be able to use ground beans, not pods!
    I would like a milk frother/heater
    My budget is £150.

ANy geniune advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

18 Comments

If you like esspresso and cappuccino then you can either buy a conventional machine which takes ground coffee, or a Nespresso system that uses capsules.

The former is cheaper to buy and to run but a faff to operate and clean. And the coffee doesn't last very long once opened, because once exposed to the air it goes stale within a couple of weeks.

The Nespresso system is more convenient, makes its coffee very quickly and the cleanup time afterwards is minimal. And the coffee, because it's in sealed capsules, has a longer shelf life. However the portion of coffee per 25p capsule is smaller than you get from a conventional machine.

I have a very good Nespresso system and I love it, but I do recognize that it's expensive to run, but I adore the speed with which I can produce a really good drink with no fuss and little cleaning afterwards. Before that I had a cappuccino machine from Starbucks, oddly enough, and very good it was too. In fact I still have it (if you/'d like to buy it, I'll consider an offer).

I think that their machines are made for them by Saeco. I was very pleased with it and it gave me no trouble. It's just laziness on my part, and my fascination with gadgets that led me to Nespresso.

Original Poster

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to reply. So, is there no difference in the quality or taste, between fresh ground coffee and pods, in your opinion?
    How much are the pods for yours?

Thanks again

Spellstef;5178401

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to reply. So, is there no … Excellent, thanks for taking the time to reply. So, is there no difference in the quality or taste, between fresh ground coffee and pods, in your opinion?How much are the pods for yours?Thanks again

My pleasure. The pods are about 25p each, and you can only buy them mail order, or from a limited number of of their shops (one if which is in Selfridges). They charge about a fiver for postage unless you order about 200 pods, in which case I think postage is free. It's a bit of a swiz, but they are really selling a lifesytle rather than just coffee. You become a member of the Nespresso club (free of charge) when you buy the machine and that gives you some lifestyle benefits. Amongst these is 24x7 telephone support and advice, and a free loan machine if yours breaks down. And the help number is a freefone (who else does that for a support line?).

The coffee produced by their machines is very good. Because the capsule is airtight until it's used it keeps the coffee fresh for a long time (although there is a use by date, which is a few months after purchase). There is a large number of blends and styles to choose from. They do several decaffienated offerings and a range of strengths from mild to 'puts hair on your wife's chest'. I have tried several of them and found them to be very good.

If you go to one of their outlets you can try several for yourself. They will, at no charge) make a selection for you to try. I think you'll be impressed, but as I said, the cost per (fairly small) cup is a little steep. But I think it's worth it, and our coffee consumption has risen since we purchased our machine becuase it's so simple and quick, and the quaility so good.

Is there a difference in quality between capsules and fresh ground coffee? No, not really, except that you have to do the measuring and milk frothing yourself for the latter and if you get it wrong the coffee isn't that good. Most importantly, ground coffee goes stale very quickly, so you need to keep it in an airtight bag and in the fridge to stop it from deteriorating. Even then, after a couple of weeks you're going to experience increasingly weak and less exciting coffee.

The John Lewis chain sells Nespress machines and they will offer you sample cups to try, but if you want the whole story and a wide range of coffees to try, go to one of Nespresso's outlets or Selfridhges.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, I think I should invest in one of these, if you cant be bothered to reply again, thats cool, but I really like the look of this one, what do you think?

johnlewis.com/230…798

rep left for the both of you, OP for bringing this up and afterburner for providing at least a good 10mins typing!

Ive got a few coffee machines, generally cheaper and smaller ones, but the main two i have are a small one which has a frother on then a automatic one, both are good, but for different coffees as i tend to get a different flavour from them.

Also id love to spend £150 on a coffee machine, but havent got that sort of cash to spare, but i definetly think when i do the pods look the way to go, as stays fresh for longer, as ive wasted loads of coffee, or rather its still sat in bags!

Do they happen to do a machine that does both fresh and pods? As that would be brilliant for both when you have time, and when you dont.
    As in the market they have some lovely fresh coffee beans, and some unusual flvaours and would love to enjoy them still.

I've got a Gaggia Classic machine and it's awesome. A bit on the pricey side but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Couple this with a proper burr grinder and some decent coffee beans and you have coffee heaven. It's so much more satisfying and so much tastier grinding your own beans on demand. Can really recommend these people for coffee, they supply so of the best michelin starred restaurants origincoffee.co.uk/

Spellstef;5178547

Thanks for all the info, I think I should invest in one of these, if you … Thanks for all the info, I think I should invest in one of these, if you cant be bothered to reply again, thats cool, but I really like the look of this one, what do you think?http://www.johnlewis.com/230563577/Product.aspx?source=14798

I'm not sure that I can see a nozzle for steaming milk. Could this be only for espresso and not for cappuccino?

One thing I forgot to mention. The cheaper units have a steam pipe for steaming and frothing your jug of milk, whereas the more expensive model has an attachment that allows you to put a plastic pipe into your cold milk container and then when you select steam it just pours ready-frothed milk into your cup. All you do then is to move the cup to the coffee outlet and press the coffee button.

If you buy a chepaer machine, the frothing attachment costs a fairly steep £30 odd as an optional accessory butt it is worthwhile because the production of frothed milk is the biggest faff.

I did say this was a lifestyle thing :whistling:

Banned

buy a bodum milk frother - better than most machines

awoodhall2003;5178615

Do they happen to do a machine that does both fresh and pods? As that … Do they happen to do a machine that does both fresh and pods? As that would be brilliant for both when you have time, and when you dont.As in the market they have some lovely fresh coffee beans, and some unusual flvaours and would love to enjoy them still.

Not with Nespresso. They want to sell you their capsules, so it's a one-function system only. I don't know if there are any alternative capsule/pod type system out there.

My Starbucks machine had a sort of pod adapter on the coffee receptacle but when I checked with Starbucks head office I was told that the pods were only available in the USA. I think they are rather like the Senseo system, but the problem with Senseo (apart from the fact that it's not for cappucino or espresso) is that once you've opened the bag of 8 or 10, or whatever ,you have to use them quickly or, again, they go stale.

Thanks for the rep, by the way. :thumbsup:

SunTzu;5178623

I've got a Gaggia Classic machine and it's awesome. A bit on the pricey … I've got a Gaggia Classic machine and it's awesome. A bit on the pricey side but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Couple this with a proper burr grinder and some decent coffee beans and you have coffee heaven. It's so much more satisfying and so much tastier grinding your own beans on demand. Can really recommend these people for coffee, they supply so of the best michelin starred restaurants http://www.origincoffee.co.uk/

You are right. Gaggia are the godfathers of espresso systems, and it's only relatively recently that they were available in domestic sizes.

And you are also right, that keeping beans and grinding them when you need them is far better than storing ground coffee. I believe that you can keep roasted beans in the freezer for a few months and still produce good ground coffee, but I also think that you need to defrost the beans before you grind. That means forethought and planning. Some of us are not good at that ;-)

dimebars;5178682

buy a bodum milk frother - better than most machines

Clarification: better than most machines costing less than £10:-D

not too sure where abouts you are but if you are looking at gaggia machines there are a few factory outlet type shops to see (more or less) the range....I know one is in Castleford, but point being if theres one, there might be others, even if you just go for a look and then check prices online...or ask for a demo of what each machine can do, then have a ticklist of what 'your macine' needs

Afterburner;5178704

Not with Nespresso. They want to sell you their capsules, so it's a … Not with Nespresso. They want to sell you their capsules, so it's a one-function system only. I don't know if there are any alternative capsule/pod type system out there.My Starbucks machine had a sort of pod adapter on the coffee receptacle but when I checked with Starbucks head office I was told that the pods were only available in the USA. I think they are rather like the Senseo system, but the problem with Senseo (apart from the fact that it's not for cappucino or espresso) is that once you've opened the bag of 8 or 10, or whatever ,you have to use them quickly or, again, they go stale.Thanks for the rep, by the way. :thumbsup:

yeah i thought that would be the case! sell you their product nothing else.

however on the USA front, i could some shipped over, as got a few mates out there ;-)

GET A TASSIMO - i got one for xmas and its great you can get loads of drinks with loads of different coffees and even get starbuckets for it :thumbsup:

The Tassimo is also around half of your budget and it makes so nice coffee i couldnt live without mine and it has a great pod system put in the pod press the button job done

drink selection below

tassimo.co.uk/tas…=86

tassimo is good

Supermod

Nespresso machines are amazing but I would suggest you get an automatic with an Aeroccino attached. The new Citiz is pretty good by all accounts. I have an older manual one but my brother purchased the automatic and it is fantastic.

[url]www.nespresso.com[/url]

Another thumbs up for Tassimo wouldnt be without mine :thumbsup:

Tesco seems the cheapest at the moment £2.99 a pack for pods :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1340
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927356
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826365
      4. word association Game73844478

See more discussions