Groups
    EXPIRED

WTD - iPhone 3GS - advice

I want to buy an iPhone for my dad.
    He has a phone on Pay as you Go and only spends £10 a month.

So rather than buy a pay as you go and saddle him with a contract, we are going to buy the phone and then give him money to cover 500 mins a month for the year.

After that he can decided what to do

SO, what is the best way to do it?

Go to an Apple Shop, o2 or Orange?
    Or online, any cashback deals etc?

8 Comments

Will he be using the intenet. If so you really want a sim card with a lot or unlimited internet also

Try this sim card.
    I think its still available

hotukdeals.com/ite…0-m

Original Poster

I thought you got free Internet for the first 12 months?
    I think this is will o2, but presumed it was the same with all operators.

stuartw;6948133

I thought you got free Internet for the first 12 months?I think this is … I thought you got free Internet for the first 12 months?I think this is will o2, but presumed it was the same with all operators.

sorry I thought you were buying him a phone outright and then buying a sim.

Original Poster

Ah erm, I think I was, but now sounds like I better go to a phone shop to buy the phone with a SIM and get his number moved over.

I am confused

steppsman;6948262

I am confused

Me too. Not sure what orange do but I'd take it will be the same or similar to 02.
    O2 give you unlimited wifi and web for the first 12 months. After 12 months you must pay an additional £10 to keep this privilege.
    See the following for what you get for what you pay.: (doesnt seem to be any texts included)
    Top up £10-£14 and get 500 minutes
    Top up £15-£29 and get 1000 minutes
    Top up £30+ and get unlimited minutes

Costs of iphones:
    iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
    iPhone 3GS 16GB - £440.40
    iPhone 3GS 32GB - £538.30

Personnally I would by a persons upgrade from here or ebay. Just look out for one thats under warranty and a week or so old. They sell them for about £220 to £260 for 3G 8GB iphone.
    It seems very expensive to do what you say. You could also buy the sim I mentioned earlier.
    Not sure why O2 say you need a specific sim to use an iphone as I just got one 2 weeks ago and they said my current sim was compatable to use so no need for a new one. I'd speak to O2 about purchasing the 12 month sim mentioned earlier and see if you can use it for your iphone.
    I think its just a case of them activating it to download applivcations etc.

Original Poster

Cheers

I was looking at getting:
    iPhone 3GS 16GB - £440.40
    Top up £10-£14 and get 500 minutes

I can't get one off ebay as it is a present, so should be new.

Thanks though

:whistling:Can i be your dad?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Parcel Hero weight adjustment69
      2. I want some backless loafers for men44
      3. Phone "Upgrade"47
      4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2854

See more discussions