Groups

Wtf is with the price of memory?

As per title. Why the heck are 128gb micro SD cards seemingly doubling in price everywhere? I got one for £20 from Mymemory 1 year ago but now the cheapest they have is £40!! I should have voted remain.

16 Comments

Similar excuse for everything....BREXIT......
    I farted = Blame BREXIT
    Oh god, I have two legs = Blame BREXIT
    Muggy Mike = Blame BREXIT
    It's Club Tropicana hot = Blame BREXIT

I could go on.......;)

Unfortunately as a direct result of the uk deciding to leave the EU or pound has suffered against the euro and the dollar. Some even call it co-incidence lol. Makes me laugh tbh. If Nigel had told everyone look, as soon as we decide to leave prices are going to immediately go up and may continue to rise because our pound won't be worth a small packet of peanuts, but don't worry. We have excellent negotiators who will eventually get us a deal and in twenty or thirty years or so we may have an economy again. In the meantime that £300m a day it costs us to be in the EU isn't going to go into the NHS. We are going to waste it on a high speed train to Leeds for starters. My god Cameron was such an idiot to give us the vote anyway when most people don't even understand politics, myself included. Truth is that the majority of people this affects the most are the ones who wanted us to remain, which is the younger generations. All I know is that this country made a decision to leave the EU, the benefits of which are uncertain, and still won't stop the poles and the eastern europeans coming to this country, which was the main reason for a lot of people voting out. Yet in June 2016 I was paying £895.00 for a cubic metre of product for the company I work for and today it's £1125. That's a massive increase in 12 months and whilst an initial increase of 10% can be blamed on brexit, the further increases have been imposed by big business already screwing the UK before any deals are agreed.

That's my political rant over and I voted to remain as I knew that leaving would have an affect on our economy. I also knew it would not stop "trade" of people from coming here from countries we want to do business with. It will of course stop us being dictated to by Brussels as we will have our own government making our decisions for us. Oh dear oh dear. Time to emigrate I think whilst I still can.
    Edited by: "Smartguy1" 19th Jun

Nothing to do with Brexit. A simple google search will show you graphs showing memory and chip rises (in USD) since September last year worldwide.

Numerous power cuts for days on end affecting manufacturing plants in China added to the extra demand from smartphone makers mean demand is high yet supply is being managed at a level which can't keep up.

I could go on but its an industry problem and not because of the pound or anything Brexit has to offer.

As Thepasty said... Now let's have another post hijacked by an anti brexiter!

+1, industry is actually going good and can't keep up with demand. But bubble will burst soon..

Chip rises, and Brexit.

All memory is bought in USD, globally.

£1 was $1.48 back before the Brexit vote, now we're struggling to get $1.26... that's over a 10% increase there alone.

TheUrbis1 h, 4 m ago

Chip rises, and Brexit.All memory is bought in USD, globally.£1 was $1.48 …Chip rises, and Brexit.All memory is bought in USD, globally.£1 was $1.48 back before the Brexit vote, now we're struggling to get $1.26... that's over a 10% increase there alone.

Yes, the sceptics still think that the falling pound has nothing to do with Brexit. Look at the statistics. Our pound lost an immediate 10% in it's value the very next day and has not recovered. What would have happened if we had taken on the euro like most other european countries. These clever people we put in power are not really that clever at all are they. Taking on the euro would have meant no difference but being the stick in the muds we are in this country we will always stand by something we know is wrong. There's nothing wrong with being wrong and admitting it. I used to work for someone once who would never admit he was wrong even when he knew he was. He would never say sorry. He saw it as a sign of weakness. What a door handle. Nothing wrong in standing up and saying, hey I got that wrong. Personally I think we should never have joined europe but it’s interesting to see the statistics of the older generation’s vote to the younger generations and I truly hope that in 10 years time statistics will show the decision to leave the EU was the right one. At present we cannot predict that is going to be the case but fingers crossed it was. The more countries that leave the EU will help this country but our days of being able to stand up against the rest of Europe and the world are long gone. Saying all that, with the falling pound, the manufacturing business I work for has never been so busy. Now that’s not a bad thing is it. So because I am so over-run with work, I will blame that on Brexit too haha.

Look guys, there is no right or wrong in the decision that was made. People got up and voted. The biggest turnout this country has ever seen. It doesn’t matter who won or who lost, or who’s opinion is right. What is important is that people went and voted and so long as that vote wasn’t on racial grounds then it wasn’t a wasted vote.

Yeah, I've not really noticed this until I started looking for a micro SD card for my S7 Edge last week lol
    I bought Samsung Evo 64GB card for £12.99 on Amazon last August, now I can't find anything anywhere near that price. I purchased Sandisk Extreme 64GB for £15 on eBay, that's the best I could find.

The problem with eBay is that you get a lot of cheap cards from new sellers with just 1 feedback or slightly more, so it's best to avoid those.

Why continually go on about the pounds decrease because of Brexit do some homework. Around 6yrs ago the ppund dropped to its lowest for yrs and thats got sod all to do with Brexit. In reality the ppund / dollar etc always will and do fluxuate get over it remoaners. We were ok before entering the eu etc in the 70s and will continually after we leave

Rant Over

deej70

Why continually go on about the pounds decrease because of Brexit do some … Why continually go on about the pounds decrease because of Brexit do some homework. Around 6yrs ago the ppund dropped to its lowest for yrs and thats got sod all to do with Brexit. In reality the ppund / dollar etc always will and do fluxuate get over it remoaners. We were ok before entering the eu etc in the 70s and will continually after we leaveRant Over

yeah thats correct last time pound lost value (as well as currencies) was due to credit crunch
    now it is due to brexit (no other currency lost a value)

its called cause and effect dude

I really want 16gb ddr3 ram but the price is crazy currently oO

A chunk is down to the currency drop.
    Pretty much every electronic compound is traded in USD so any drop in the GBP vs the USD will affect pricing.

On top of that the USD has been taking a hit against other currencies what with Trump being less then stable.

Samsung has had massive internal troubles with the leader with arrests and legal cases being brought against the top people.

All in all a lot of reasons why the price has creeped up, yes the Brexit has caused ~20% increase, but a lot of other things also happened which would have increased the cost as well.

Smartguy1

Yes, the sceptics still think that the falling pound has nothing to do … Yes, the sceptics still think that the falling pound has nothing to do with Brexit. Look at the statistics. Our pound lost an immediate 10% in it's value the very next day and has not recovered. What would have happened if we had taken on the euro like most other european countries. These clever people we put in power are not really that clever at all are they. Taking on the euro would have meant no difference but being the stick in the muds we are in this country we will always stand by something we know is wrong. There's nothing wrong with being wrong and admitting it. I used to work for someone once who would never admit he was wrong even when he knew he was. He would never say sorry. He saw it as a sign of weakness. What a door handle. Nothing wrong in standing up and saying, hey I got that wrong. Personally I think we should never have joined europe but it’s interesting to see the statistics of the oldergeneration’s vote to the younger generations and I truly hope that in 10 yearstime statistics will show the decision to leave the EU was the right one. Atpresent we cannot predict that is going to be the case but fingers crossed itwas. The more countries that leave the EU will help this country but our daysof being able to stand up against the rest of Europe and the world are longgone. Saying all that, with the falling pound, the manufacturing business Iwork for has never been so busy. Now that’s not a bad thing is it. So because Iam so over-run with work, I will blame that on Brexit too haha. Look guys, there is no right or wrong in the decision thatwas made. People got up and voted. The biggest turnout this country has everseen. It doesn’t matter who won or who lost, or who’s opinion is right. What isimportant is that people went and voted and so long as that vote wasn’t onracial grounds then it wasn’t a wasted vote.

​Unfortunately the biggest issue for most was immigration, they didn't seem to realise that it's good for the kingdom. Now look at the state of things

If you had done your English homework you would've probably used a question mark at the end of your sentence that started with the word "why"

deej70

Why continually go on about the pounds decrease because of Brexit do some … Why continually go on about the pounds decrease because of Brexit do some homework. Around 6yrs ago the ppund dropped to its lowest for yrs and thats got sod all to do with Brexit. In reality the ppund / dollar etc always will and do fluxuate get over it remoaners. We were ok before entering the eu etc in the 70s and will continually after we leaveRant Over

You should probably do some homework of your own.

The biggest drop in 2011 was miniscule, and bottomed out at around $1.60/£. The crash you refer to is possibly the one which happened 9 years ago in 2008, which was caused by Britain entering into a recession, and lead to our currency dropping as low as ~$1.45/£. This is actually the level we were at before the Brexit vote, which has since pushed it as low as $1.22, and it currently sits at $1.26. You can see all these figures for yourself at xe.com/cur…10Y , if you'd like to see some proper info.

Regarding the status of Britain in the 70s; everything I've heard about 70s Britain is pretty awful. People were poor, there was mass unemployment, industry was on strike, all sorts. It was a miserable time, by all accounts. Do you think we joined the EU to make them better, or because we needed to save the UK?

was the question regarding memory as I have forgotten lll
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1746
      2. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)1014
      3. Breath of the Wild Replacement Cover?33
      4. Looking for destiny 2 players ps411

See more discussions