Groups

WTF - New USB faster than Sandisk Backup??

I've just received the HP v210w memory stick from play.com and run a quick benchmark against my slightly older sandisk cruzer 16gb and Sandisk Ultra backup 16GB.

the HP has 17mb write speed and the Sandisks could barely touch 3mb/s, even though the ultra backup is 3 times the price!

Am I missing something?

6 Comments

Yes the money you paid for the Sandisk

Original Poster

does the amount of data i have on the disk make a difference? the ultra backup is about 13gb full, the cruzer and hp are empty.

Anyway, I'!! try to use crystal mark hd, hopefully it will run via wine, and im using linux.

copy the files off it to your PC and test both when empty...

Use the same usb port on same computer to test each pen.

Format both to fat32 and make sure each one is has the same policy for removal eg set both to optimize for performance, when you do that though you have to make sure you use the safely remove hardware option on toolbar. I personally always use the safely remove hardware no matter what the policy for the device is.

What was your quick benchmark? Same for all the disks?

Original Poster

jah128

What was your quick benchmark? Same for all the disks?

30mb/s read and 21mb/s for HP (sequential read - 100mb file, 2 passes).

Ultra backup 25mb/s read 17mb/s write.

These are approximate and I was using the netbook for other things aswell so not entirely correct, however the with random writes the hp was really slow!

Even so - I'm quite certain the Ultra backup is faster - when it comes to writing files to it it's quicker.

Seems like USB disks are getting faster and faster!
    Edited by: "rash" 1st Mar 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Galaxy Note 8 grey import11
      2. VM Super Hub 3 printer issues11
      3. laptop for editing 4k videos (3840×2160p 30 fps)22
      4. Swtiching to Galaxy from Iphone-Advice?11

See more discussions