X-Box One S extra storage needed.

Found 10th Jan
My teenage son is currently having a hissy fit as his xbox memory is full up and he urgently needs extra storage to play all his games. I know nothing about this box of tricks but have been tasked with finding some sort of external hard drive for it that is powered by the Xbox itself.
Can anyone suggest a cheap solution and where to buy it from please.
(I’ve told him he’s got to pay for it himself and he thinks £20 should be enough)
Any help appreciated to satisfy a stroppy teenager who’s in meltdown and thinks his world has ended.
Thankyou
Community Updates
AskElectronics
17 Comments
Any portable USB 3.0 drive will do although I'm not sure £20 will be enough.
An example would be a Toshiba Canvio Basic - 500GB for £38 or 1TB for £45 (I would go 1TB minimum).
You could pick something suitable up in CEX if he wants to go cheaper or he could just remove some of the old games! (Edit - CEX prices for portable drives are the same or higher than Amazon new!)
Edited by: "Ar460rn" 10th Jan
You are looking at something like this amazon.co.uk/Sea…ive Im afraid around £40 is the minimum spend.

You could go for 500GB but it would not last long
Great answers. Just got to break it to him about the £40 now. (Might write it down and slip it under his bedroom door and then wait for the bang)
Could always go down the second hand route try cex
I would personally get him 2tb as there about £70 and then he won’t complain for a long time. If he does just don’t buy him more game as if he as filled that then he doesn’t need any more. Perfect no whinny son and money saved in the future. I call that a win winXD
Backhander across the chops and get him to delete old games - problem should be solved. If not just burn his games and then it'll definitely resolve the issue.
Apparently it’s all my fault!
If I hadn’t bought more games for Xmas then he wouldn’t need more storage.
I can hear him now, whining to his friends on his headphones about how unfair it all is.
I’m such a bad mum apparently.
Just posted childline phone number under his door and hopefully they’ll contact social services.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 10th Jan
The power is in your hands to stop that. Switch the router off (or block his xbox via the router) until he learns to appreciate all you do for him. There are a lot of kids who would give anything to be in his position, so some time without it may make him see that.
Just joking about his behaviour.
I took his Xbox one off him last year and sold it to cex as a punishment.
Exactly 1 year later I let him buy another one with his own money.
Just looking at eBay now but not sure what I’m really looking for.
Found two, perhaps someone could say if they’re what he needs etc
£35 1TB mentionsXbox one
£46 2 TB mentions windows
Toptrumpet13 m ago

Just joking about his behaviour. I took his Xbox one off him last year and …Just joking about his behaviour. I took his Xbox one off him last year and sold it to cex as a punishment.Exactly 1 year later I let him buy another one with his own money.Just looking at eBay now but not sure what I’m really looking for.Found two, perhaps someone could say if they’re what he needs etc £35 1TB mentionsXbox one£46 2 TB mentions windows

Yeah they would both work fine. Just plug them into the Xbox and you're good to go.

Remember the lad will need an extra power point for the external hdd. There are models that do not need plugging in, portable hard drives they are called. But both work.

I'd go for the second one personally. I have a 4tb seagate and it works perfectly
Toptrumpet21 m ago

Found two, perhaps someone could say if they’re what he needs etc £35 1TB m …Found two, perhaps someone could say if they’re what he needs etc £35 1TB mentionsXbox one£46 2 TB mentions windows

First one might be OK (doesn't explicitly state USB 3.0, so could be a slower USB 2.0), the second would work but needs external power - not a problem if there is a spare socket next to the XBox. Try this search.
He’s found this one Samsung as he doesn’t fancy yetmore wires clogging up his desk.
Any thoughts?
Take away his games and say complete them fully and then delete them of his hard drive and then he can move on to the next one. How much storage has he got now?
He’s only got the 500mb console, but the games he’s playing with his friends all need storage such as GTA v, fifa 18, battlefield 1.
Toptrumpet2 m ago

He’s only got the 500mb console, but the games he’s playing with his fri …He’s only got the 500mb console, but the games he’s playing with his friends all need storage such as GTA v, fifa 18, battlefield 1.

Take it away for a week at then let him think about it.
Toptrumpet37 m ago

He’s found this one Samsung as he doesn’t fancy yetmore wires clogging up h …He’s found this one Samsung as he doesn’t fancy yetmore wires clogging up his desk.Any thoughts?

Again, that's fine too.

I'd prefer a portable hard drive too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants