Groups

Xbob 360 and PS3??? Are they generally the same???

Looking for some help here.......... please!!!

Firstly, we have a Wii and a PS2!

My 7 year old son has decided he wants an Xbox 360 for Christmas after playing on his friends, he is mad on football and would probably only really play the football games on it and maybe a couple of racing car games. I dont mind him having one, although it would have to go in his bedroom because I dont want a living room full of consoles! He doesnt play with toys anymore unless they are football related and as long as its not tipping it down hes outside playing football in the garden or on his bike.

My 9 year old son wants a PS3 after playing on his friends, he is also mad on football but would also play on other games, he would like COD WAW 'cos he plays on that with his friends dad and he is more into games than the other one.

I have bought Fifa 2010 on both these formats in readiness for Christmas but was talking to someone yesterday who said there was no point getting the two consoles as they are pretty much the same, is this true?? I was going to get a PS3 to update the PS2 from the lounge and they could have had that upstairs then.

I'm a bit confused now, I'm not sure whether I should sway them towards something else and just get a PS3 for downstairs?

Can anyone help, is there any point in getting the two consoles??

Thanks, and sorry to go on a bit lol x

23 Comments

in before the fanboy war

My son (14) prefers the xbox 360 over the ps3...(after he had me buy him one)!

yes - they just come in different coloured cases

ps3 would suit the living room better i feel being a blu ray player, while i feel the 360 is more suited to pure gaming,both have there merits

as for general use for gaming, tbh not much in it really depends if you want ps3 exclusive games like gran turismo/metal gear or 360 exclusives like gears of war..

Both fine consoles, can't really pick a bad un :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Guess this means I'll be buying both then!

Thanks for all your help, just one more question...

Xbox Arcade or Xbox Elite, I know there is a difference in the price but is it just the size of the hard drive.

Thanks.

XBOX Elite is a must as the HDD is crucial.

Banned

bizzyme;6467524

Guess this means I'll be buying both then! Thanks for all your help, … Guess this means I'll be buying both then! Thanks for all your help, just one more question...Xbox Arcade or Xbox Elite, I know there is a difference in the price but is it just the size of the hard drive.Thanks.

Iv got both, the 360 is purely for gaming, where the ps3 is for blu ray and gaming

the 360 elite is £40-50 more than the white 360, theres some great deals going for them at the mo,

unsure about ps3 play.com usally do some crackers, there are some good games coming out in a month and the bundles are bound to be good

Banned

both about the same for games but bear in mind that you will need a wireless adaptor for a 360 and a monthly fee to go online for each of your sons

and if you do go for a 360 (I wouldnt!), then you must get an elite as the disk drives are incredibly noisy unless you get lucky.

Original Poster

OK thanks, an Elite it will be then.

Why do I need a wireless adapter, is that for online gaming to connect to the wireless internet? And how much is the monthly fee? Is that for online gaming too? I didnt realise there was a monthly fee so I may not do the online gaming for them, this is getting expensive!

Also do they both do 2 player so I will need 2 controllers or do they go up to 4 like the Wii?

Thanks

You know COD WAW is 15 rated don't you? Also online gaming will expose kids to all sorts of foul language.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yKS7F05LL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://managementcraft.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/canoworms1.jpg

In response to CSI man, you dont actually need a wireless network adapter to get online. If your son has a phone point in or near his room you can connect using a wire. However, if you do decide to go the wireless route the adapter is worth every penny as the connection usually seems to be flawless (unlike the connection on my PS3 with built in WiFi).

With regards to Xbox Live subscription, if your sons dont mind sharing an account then you would only need one.

If your child ever mixes with people in real life they'll hear plenty of foul language anyway x

Oh, and remember you wont be able to play your old PS2 games on the PS3.

Original Poster

Oldest son and hubby are season ticket holders at Leicester, me and youngest son are season ticket holders at Aston Villa, so they do hear the bad language, they never say any in or around the house or anywhere as far as I know, but they are already aware of it, shame really as I'm sure I never was at such a young age.

I know he goes on it at his friends with his dad so I'll have a look at it first before I buy it but I know he wants it, also GTA4 too but I'll look at that first too.

My daughter is 5 so he wouldn't be allowed to play it when she is around.

Original Poster

citizenerased;6467837

Oh, and remember you wont be able to play your old PS2 games on the PS3.

And we have hundreds of them :x but I would rather get the slim one 'cos when we get one I'm sure I won't be buying many PS2 games again. And we will keep the PS2 so it wont be a problem.

If it's going to be in the lounge then I'd say it has to be the PS3. The 360 is too damn noisy with the fans and the optical drive sounding like a food processor on overload. Plus the fact that the PS3 has Blu Ray and wireless network as standard means (IMO) more user/family friendly than the 360. The 360 again, just my opinion, is better suited to teenagers bedroom.

I only own a 360 and the sooner I can get shot of it to one of my kids bedrooms and replace it with a quiet, pratical PS3, the better!

I suggest getting a PS3, Xbox does have excellent online service (which you have to pay for). Also Call of Duty is rate 15 for a reason your kid is 9....But your the parent and its upto u....I will say this...if you have the dosh get a PS3, comes with a Blue Ray Drive which is excellent for Films and its good Media Centre. But another question your kids want to play online does friends have Xbox or PS3. If they all have Xbox then he will need an Xbox ,and so on and so on....Sit down with your kid and decide using the last question.

PS3 slim for £230 or a 250gb for £250

Banned

citizenerased;6467822

In response to CSI man, you dont actually need a wireless network adapter … In response to CSI man, you dont actually need a wireless network adapter to get online. If your son has a phone point in or near his room you can connect using a wire. However, if you do decide to go the wireless route the adapter is worth every penny as the connection usually seems to be flawless (unlike the connection on my PS3 with built in WiFi).With regards to Xbox Live subscription, if your sons dont mind sharing an account then you would only need one.

never heard of anyone connecting their 360 to a phone point! :?

Banned

csiman;6468474

never heard of anyone connecting their 360 to a phone point! :?

quite funny :-D

Going by what you've written, I wouldn't get both, i'd go for the PS3 over the 360.

If it's in the lounge, then the PS3 is more suited in my opinion.

Find out what console his friends have and buy accordingly.

I own both the 360 and the PS3 and play almost exclusively on the 360 because that is the system everyone I know owns.

Edit:

After reading the opening post I see it is that you are debating if it is worth getting both consoles or one.

I'll just give a few personal impressions on both consoles and you can take on board what you will. Firstly I would say anyone who says "Don't get X because it is terrible" can for the most part be ignored as they are probably just what is known as a fanboy and will defend their adopted platform regardless of the truth. Well here goes:

360- This was the first of the Next-Gen consoles I purchased and have found it both amazing and annoying as hell. The online is superb and is far superior to anything offered by Sony. It has online system that centralizes the experience, you create an online identity (gamertag) that organises all your friends independent of the games meaning you can change games while still being connected to mates. It also has some of the best exclusives available. The annoying part is that the early consoles had a fault that gave them a higher than normal fail rate, but this was tempered by MS's fast turnaround on repairs and 3 year free warranty (new consoles are better and PS3 is not without faults). The thing I like most about the 360 is the way I can sit down and scan my friends list and see if anyone is online then just join them in gaming with little fuss. Some people don't like that the online has to be paid for (under £30 for a year if you shop around) but you get what you pay for.

PS3- I've only owned the PS3 for around a year but in that time something strange happened, i sold all the games but still use the console. I don't know anyone who owns a PS3 and find the online a bit fiddly so I would buy exclusives that caught my eye and then sell them after playing them through. The good thing about the PS3 that kept me using it is that it is a Blu-Ray player and has fair media playback capabilities. I found myself using it to do a little browsing as well as the (although a little buggy) browser was sufficient for checking emails with it's quick startup. It now is used almost exclusively for it's media and internet.

I would say of both consoles that an HDTV is really needed to get the best but with a PS3 it is a necessity as 360 can be used with a PC monitor if you get hold of the necessary cables. Also if you filter the kid's internet access you need to be wary of the browser on the PS3.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?55
      2. RIP DOCTOR WHO78
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30384
      4. PlayStation Hacked Again?44

See more discussions