Groups

Xbox 360 - 'bridge' 'home plugs' umm bit confused, help me please

Well heres the thing, i was just goingto buy a wireless adator from game for it but as i look at the comment people were saying how they were using 'home plugs' and using pc or umm router. So i have wireless internet and have a pc in my room so what do you think the best thing to do is?

thanks x

15 Comments

I uses holeplugs, cheaper (and safer?) than the wifi adapter

Original Poster

umm so how do i used them, what do i need to do?

Buy a 2 pack, run a ethernet cable from your router (a spare port) to one adapter, place the other homeplug by the 360 and run an ethernet cable from the homeplug to the xbox. It's really easy

Where is the xbox in relation to your PC (same room, etc)? and does your PC have a router, wireless router or just an ADSL modem?

Original Poster

the router is wireless and is down stairs, the pc is right next to the xbox and it does have a router

Where do you get Homeplugs and how much do they cost?

get a set on ebay for about 35

Homeplugs...

You plug one into a mains socket next to the router, with ethernet cable from the router to this.

Then, plug the second one near the item you want to use on the internet into a mains socket and use another ethernet cable from this to your item.

Both cables need to be 'Patch' (aka Straight Through).

That's it. It'll just use your mains cabling to communicate the signal.

Both the sockets need to be on the same circuit.

Original Poster

umm, how do i know if the sockets are on the same circuit though or 'patched?

Patched refers to the ethernet (network) cable...

You will be fine to use them in the same house (the other person is talking rumours that they had to be on the same ring main - which if you're not an electrician, you wouldn't know).

You'll be fine with them.

Browni;3436351

Patched refers to the ethernet (network) cable...You will be fine to use … Patched refers to the ethernet (network) cable...You will be fine to use them in the same house (the other person is talking rumours that they had to be on the same ring main - which if you're not an electrician, you wouldn't know).You'll be fine with them.

I keep hearing that one, but have yet to come accross anyones powerline adapters that don't work. Love the Avi, gonna have to go watch some strong bad now forgot about him!

He says the PC and xbox are next to each other so what is the point in buying homeplugs?

Just run an ethernet cable from the router if it has a share plug - or directly to the PC if not.

The 360 adapter is not a bridge, though the external antenna is a plus but that's about it.

Wired > Homeplug (or equivalent) > Wireless
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927341
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767213
      3. love affairs45
      4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983130

See more discussions