Groups

Xbox 360, connecting HDD...

...does an external HDD need to be in fat32 format instead of ntfs to play videos off the external HDD? Tried connecting HDD (ntfs format) to 360 but it doesn't seem to recognise it. Or can videos not be played of HDD? Any help?

Thanks

15 Comments

The Xbox 360 won't recognise NTFS, format as FAT32 and you'll be fine with one drawback - can't store files bigger than 4gb.

If you wanna play files bigger than 4GB get macdrive and format the harddrive to mac format.
    You can play HD WMV files then too or any others that the 360 supports over (and of course under) 4GB for that matter

Original Poster

abomination;3652778

The Xbox 360 won't recognise NTFS, format as FAT32 and you'll be fine … The Xbox 360 won't recognise NTFS, format as FAT32 and you'll be fine with one drawback - can't store files bigger than 4gb.

ok thanks - wish I hadn't formatted it to ntfs now - agghhh. rep on the way. :thumbsup:

yeah i used macdrive to format mine to HFS+ and it works great

Original Poster

so just to clarify fat32 will allow me to play videos off HDD onto my 360 (as long as less than 4gb size). Don't want to take everything off my HDD for no reason, lol.

Original Poster

Is exFAT the same as fat32?

No that was introduced with Vista.

Original Poster

abomination;3653536

No that was introduced with Vista.

will exFAT be recognised by xbox 360? I do't have the option to select FAT32 on this computer so will have to use other one.

Is your drive's capacity over 32gb? If so Windows won't let you format as FAT32.

Original Poster

yeah I just realised that, was wondering why there was no FAT 32 option. It is 600gb (ish), so does that mean I will not be able to use this HDD with my 360?

You just have to use third party tools to format the drive, Windows is more than capable but Microsoft created the artificial 32gb limit to try and force the use of NTFS.

ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat…htm

Original Poster

abomination;3653618

You just have to use third party tools to format the drive, Windows is … You just have to use third party tools to format the drive, Windows is more than capable but Microsoft created the artificial 32gb limit to try and force the use of NTFS.http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

thanks for the info, will have a look at it tomorrow. Does anyone know if exFAT will work with the xbox 360. Would be sooo much easier.

No idea, doubt it though XP can't even read exFAT drives. :thinking:

Original Poster

abomination;3653739

No idea, doubt it though XP can't even read exFAT drives. :thinking:

really. why did they have to introduce a new format..... :x lol

well i'm off to bed, thanks for all the help abomination

Its not compatible with a 360.
    Shame bout that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions