Xbox 360 Dash Update - £19.99 For £5.00 Games !!!

Oh dear, serious overpricing alert

59 Comments

yep. and they have really messed up PR world wide as games in the use are 1600 points, over here they are 2400 in australia and NZ they are 6000 Points. £50! for games like mass effect! so it could be worse!.

i wont be buying any and i doubt you will find many brits buying any either.

Just what I thought, came on here just to see the first thread about this.

Shocking. £19.99 for the likes of CoD2!

Wonder if they will bring new releases out at this price, or is that just hopeful thinking.

Original Poster

Nah they wont because the simple fact is they dont want to p**s retailers off with low prices until they can be sure they can sell their games digital only, which is surely a few years away yet.

A lot of these games are worth a tenner and I would have bought the likes of mass effect for £10.00 (If I didnt already own it) but £20.00 for games this old is ridiculous.

I expect a 'big' game such as Mass Effect 2 to appear on there for around £35.00 soon to try and entice people to buy it but with games prices falling so quickly after launch these days, and the fact people like physical media to collect and own, the digital market will never truly take off imo.

I've been on the Beta and they added these games a few days ago. I lol'd at the thought of anyone paying out for these.

Does the dash update do anything to invalidate iextreme?

Flodd;5989148

Does the dash update do anything to invalidate iextreme?

only one thing can happen geting bannd

Microsoft responded "Whereas one game usually costs $40 or more we're selling it for $20" pfft yeah right.

hmm can you transfer on different consoles?

Original Poster

Met-Cast;5989457

Microsoft responded "Whereas one game usually costs $40 or more we're … Microsoft responded "Whereas one game usually costs $40 or more we're selling it for $20" pfft yeah right.

Wondered how long it would take for the PS3 fanboys to appear :roll:

iNSOMANiAC;5989626

he owns both

iNSOMANiAC;5989626

The 360 ones are already here mate :thumbsup:.

Are you disagreeing that Microsoft are bullcrapping about the prices?

MarzBarz;5989648

he owns both

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

You didnt seriously think these games on demand would be cheap did you?

This is microsoft after all...

deathtrap3000;5989688

You didnt seriously think these games on demand would be cheap did … You didnt seriously think these games on demand would be cheap did you?This is microsoft after all...

I wasn't expecting them to be cheap, but what really annoys me is that people that aren't really into the games industry pay for these games at such shocking prices. Reason why places like GAME are so expensive because obviously they are shifting the games at the price and its the same here.

Meadsy4742;5989739

I wasn't expecting them to be cheap, but what really annoys me is that … I wasn't expecting them to be cheap, but what really annoys me is that people that aren't really into the games industry pay for these games at such shocking prices. Reason why places like GAME are so expensive because obviously they are shifting the games at the price and its the same here.

Exactly that's why I go online and buy it.

Met-Cast;5989768

Exactly that's why I go online and buy it.

and thats why i burn dem

MarzBarz;5989816

and thats why i burn dem

:roll: :thumbsup:

Banned

I'd have been shocked if they were competitive but, compared to a DVD on a shelf, providing servers, storage and bandwidth must have massive overheads. Whilst this doesn't explain the prices, I can imagine it costs more to digitally distribute poo old games than to knock out a Value-range in the shops.

Now, if they wanted to add value, they should take the DRM off them, let you install the games on any number of machines using your Gamertag and then play CoD2 with all your mates. I hate having to have multiple copies just to play a LAN.

Hkem;5989827

I'd have been shocked if they were competitive but, compared to a DVD on … I'd have been shocked if they were competitive but, compared to a DVD on a shelf, providing servers, storage and bandwidth must have massive overheads. Whilst this doesn't explain the prices, I can imagine it costs more to digitally distribute poo old games than to knock out a Value-range in the shops.Now, if they wanted to add value, they should take the DRM off them, let you install the games on any number of machines using your Gamertag and then play CoD2 with all your mates. I hate having to have multiple copies just to play a LAN.

Thats what makes them such poor value. For one they are expensive and more compounding is the fact that they have no resale value!

Im not a fan of the PS3 at all. but one thing i do love is the ability to share games and DLC from the PSN store with what 3 other people? Its just a brilliant idea.

MarzBarz;5989816

and thats why i burn dem

I'd do the ixtreme route but I like playing online and would be forever worrying I would get banned :roll:

Original Poster

MarzBarz;5989648

he owns both

So do i but apparently that doesnt exclude from fanboyism as soon as you have an opinion someone else doesnt agree with :roll:

Hkem;5989827

I'd have been shocked if they were competitive but, compared to a DVD on … I'd have been shocked if they were competitive but, compared to a DVD on a shelf, providing servers, storage and bandwidth must have massive overheads. Whilst this doesn't explain the prices, I can imagine it costs more to digitally distribute poo old games than to knock out a Value-range in the shops.

Quite the opposite actually, the main reason (other than piracy) they all like the digital distribution model is that margins are much higher, they can turf out stuff much cheaper and quicker and charge about the same for it as a retail boxed version.

The only loser is the consumer. No physical product to call your own only 'rights' to use the software that MS can take away whenever they see fit.

Meadsy4742;5989856

I'd do the ixtreme route but I like playing online and would be forever … I'd do the ixtreme route but I like playing online and would be forever worrying I would get banned :roll:

im online too lol whenever i get banned just sell the console to someone who dont play online.

Meadsy4742;5989856

I'd do the ixtreme route but I like playing online and would be forever … I'd do the ixtreme route but I like playing online and would be forever worrying I would get banned :roll:

For the cost of a new arcade console (under £100??) to replace your one if it does get banned, that's only about the same price as 3 or 4 "purchased" games...

Plus, getting banned isn't guaranteed to happen, fingers crossed (i've probably just tempted fate now, oops) i've been ok for a good while now.

Babbabooey;5990336

For the cost of a new arcade console (under £100??) to replace your one … For the cost of a new arcade console (under £100??) to replace your one if it does get banned, that's only about the same price as 3 or 4 "purchased" games... Plus, getting banned isn't guaranteed to happen, fingers crossed (i've probably just tempted fate now, oops) i've been ok for a good while now.

You might have done, a mate of mine was bragging saying he hadn't had the ring of death yet....what went and happened a few days later :whistling:

MarzBarz;5990289

im online too lol whenever i get banned just sell the console to someone … im online too lol whenever i get banned just sell the console to someone who dont play online.

I couldn't be bothered with the whole selling and buying lark, its not worth thinking about how much money you'd be losing. I just rent games for free using Tesco and go that route.

Meadsy4742;5990566

I couldn't be bothered with the whole selling and buying lark, its not … I couldn't be bothered with the whole selling and buying lark, its not worth thinking about how much money you'd be losing. I just rent games for free using Tesco and go that route.

You dont lose money , sometimes you can sell the console for more locally. Plus banning happens like once a year or not even that.

if it makes you guys feel any better its around £12 for me per a game on dash board

Awful prices, no resell value either. I was reading, waiting for the new games... they didnt appear.

If you dont want to get banned, make sure your firmware is up to date and that you only buy games from a reliable source, or RIP and burn them yourself, dont download em.

Original Poster

Or get a job and buy your games ! Shock ! horror !

iNSOMANiAC;5991725

n b a mug:whistling:

iNSOMANiAC;5991725

job or not, i'd never spend the money out on games if you dont have to..... shoot me if you like..

iNSOMANiAC;5991725

People have to buy and pay for other things

He said it but if he got the chance he knows damn well he would do it too. I'll be honest I'd do it too.

MarzBarz;5991813

n b a mug:whistling:

Nah, I agree.

The game market rely on 'mugs' like us to pay for the games, and I agree, if the game is worth it I'd pay full price, think about the hard work they put in, but also - if we didn't buy the games the games market would just crash.

Meadsy4742;5992341

Nah, I agree.The game market rely on 'mugs' like us to pay for the games, … Nah, I agree.The game market rely on 'mugs' like us to pay for the games, and I agree, if the game is worth it I'd pay full price, think about the hard work they put in, but also - if we didn't buy the games the games market would just crash.

There will always be a greater amount of "mugs" out there, so let them pay for the titles. The Game industry will never crash dude, simples.

DudeyGeeza;5992373

There will always be a greater amount of "mugs" out there, so let them … There will always be a greater amount of "mugs" out there, so let them pay for the titles. The Game industry will never crash dude, simples.

Hmm, thats quite hard to say when already there's already game studios going bust.

DudeyGeeza;5992373

There will always be a greater amount of "mugs" out there, so let them … There will always be a greater amount of "mugs" out there, so let them pay for the titles. The Game industry will never crash dude, simples.

Not strictly true........the 'pirates' has almost killed off the PSP because the hardware sales weren't great and so many had custom fw. Whereas with the DS although the number of people using R4's etc is high it's in a much lower proportion compared with the hardware sales.

Sony are continually trying to flog their dead horse with another new version but it won't survive.

Also, you will see all the big players eventually going digital only within 10 years i reckon to wipe it out.

Meadsy4742;5992396

Hmm, thats quite hard to say when already there's already game studios … Hmm, thats quite hard to say when already there's already game studios going bust.

I get your point but there will always be the bigger fish that will never crash.

Syzable;5992401

Not strictly true........the 'pirates' has almost killed off the PSP … Not strictly true........the 'pirates' has almost killed off the PSP because the hardware sales weren't great and so many had custom fw. Whereas with the DS although the number of people using R4's etc is high it's in a much lower proportion compared with the hardware sales.Sony are continually trying to flog their dead horse with another new version but it won't survive.Also, you will see all the big players eventually going digital only within 10 years i reckon to wipe it out.

Again, i agree with what you are saying, have seen the drop off in PSP games just like everyone else, but mainstream consoles (360 and ps3 - or what ever the latest one is) will always be able to make game sales, and even if they turn digital, it will only take a min to rip the game after download then upload it for others to download and then install.

I'm a pirate, and couldnt give a poop tbh.:pirate::viking::w00t::evil:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1830
    2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3421245
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846329
    4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…1530

See more discussions