Groups

Xbox 360 Flashing

Im trying to flash my xbox 360 benq hard drive to play back up's of my game's. Im using jungle flasher and it does not detect the drive. Would my best bet be to buy a Via pci chip?

26 Comments

That'd probably be the easiest thing to do. Get a VIA 6421 SATA PCI card - that's what most people get.

I have an nForce 4 chipset and quite often have trouble connecting drives even though nForce chipsets are supposed tpo be reliable with jungleflasher.

Rule out other problems first before buying anything just in case its something you're not doing right. See the "troubleshooting" pdf that comes with jungleflasher for info.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5568407

That'd probably be the easiest thing to do. Get a VIA 6421 SATA PCI card … That'd probably be the easiest thing to do. Get a VIA 6421 SATA PCI card - that's what most people get.I have an nForce 4 chipset and quite often have trouble connecting drives even though nForce chipsets are supposed tpo be reliable with jungleflasher. Rule out other problems first before buying anything just in case its something you're not doing right. See the "troubleshooting" pdf that comes with jungleflasher for info.

I have done everything right it will just not detect my drive. +1 for info though.

What SATA chipset are you using?

is it half way tray, xbox on?

Original Poster

It's my onboard nForce chipset.

Original Poster

strike;5568502

is it half way tray, xbox on?

No do i have to power it on with the tray half open?

Frankie1;5568523

No do i have to power it on with the tray half open?

Mate, no offense but read some tuts, please.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

strike;5568532

Mate, no offense but read some tuts, please.:thumbsup:

Lol somone told me on the jungle flasher irc that i did not have to put the drive in vender mode i could just press unlock benq drive and it would go into vendor mode.

Frankie1;5568554

Lol somone told me on the jungle flasher irc that i did not have to put … Lol somone told me on the jungle flasher irc that i did not have to put the drive in vender mode i could just press unlock benq drive and it would go into vendor mode.

From the looks of the JungleFlasher tutorial PDF (I can upload it for you if you don't have it - it's very useful) you don't need to do the half open tray method. Here's what the JF tut says (if using a connectivity kit):

- Use the eject button on your connectivity kit to eject the drive tray, power off the connectivity kit, push the tray half in and power back on the connectivity kit.

- Ok, now we half the half open tray, we navigate to MTKFlash32 tab if you haven’t already.

- Click Intro / DeviceID. If tray status is correct, drive should return good Flash Chip Properties showing status 0x73, Drive Properties should show “Drive In Vendor Mode!”.

- Once drive is in Vendor Mode, you can proceed with Reading the Drives Firmware.

Here's how I do benq drives (with either a VIA or nforce chipset):

1. Start JungleFlasher.
    2. Connect the drive to my SATA port and power it up.
    3. I click on Vendor intro (ensuring the port is right).
    4. JF then looks to send the vendor intro to the drive. I power the drive off and on again. It then returns the chipset information.
    5. You should now be able to dump and flash the drive without any bother.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5568960

Here's how I do benq drives (with either a VIA or nforce chipset):1. … Here's how I do benq drives (with either a VIA or nforce chipset):1. Start JungleFlasher.2. Connect the drive to my SATA port and power it up.3. I click on Vendor intro (ensuring the port is right).4. JF then looks to send the vendor intro to the drive. I power the drive off and on again. It then returns the chipset information.5. You should now be able to dump and flash the drive without any bother.

On step 4 when you power your drive off do you pull the power cable out or do you turn your xbox off? Because when i turn my xbox off i get the blue screen of death and it turn's off.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5568932

From the looks of the JungleFlasher tutorial PDF (I can upload it for you … From the looks of the JungleFlasher tutorial PDF (I can upload it for you if you don't have it - it's very useful) you don't need to do the half open tray method. Here's what the JF tut says (if using a connectivity kit):- Use the eject button on your connectivity kit to eject the drive tray, power off the connectivity kit, push the tray half in and power back on the connectivity kit.- Ok, now we half the half open tray, we navigate to MTKFlash32 tab if you haven’t already.- Click Intro / DeviceID. If tray status is correct, drive should return good Flash Chip Properties showing status 0x73, Drive Properties should show “Drive In Vendor Mode!”.- Once drive is in Vendor Mode, you can proceed with Reading the Drives Firmware.

Could you please upload the jungle Flasher PDF. :thumbsup:

Frankie1;5569399

Could you please upload the jungle Flasher PDF. :thumbsup:

Here you go: rapidshare.com/fil…zip

There's two PDFs in that ZIP file - one for troubleshooting and one which has instructions for flashing all 360 drives using JungleFlasher.

Frankie1;5569393

On step 4 when you power your drive off do you pull the power cable out … On step 4 when you power your drive off do you pull the power cable out or do you turn your xbox off? Because when i turn my xbox off i get the blue screen of death and it turn's off.

Pull cable out of the back of the drive.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5569585

Here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/247805256/JF_guides.zipThere's … Here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/247805256/JF_guides.zipThere's two PDFs in that ZIP file - one for troubleshooting and one which has instructions for flashing all 360 drives using JungleFlasher.

+1 thank's for help.:thumbsup:

Frankie1;5569393

On step 4 when you power your drive off do you pull the power cable out … On step 4 when you power your drive off do you pull the power cable out or do you turn your xbox off? Because when i turn my xbox off i get the blue screen of death and it turn's off.

In which case, your SATA drivers are trying to address the DVD drive in Windows - this is why it's advised to have a separate SATA card, as JungleFlasher's PortIO drivers are all you should need to do this.

The other option is to do this via DOS, booting from a USB stick.

oldmanhouse;5569592

Pull cable out of the back of the drive.

Definitely do not do this. Real bad advice to give to anyone. :x

Yeah try dosflash, its easy and simple. esp for Benq drives.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5569753

In which case, your SATA drivers are trying to address the DVD drive in … In which case, your SATA drivers are trying to address the DVD drive in Windows - this is why it's advised to have a separate SATA card, as JungleFlasher's PortIO drivers are all you should need to do this.The other option is to do this via DOS, booting from a USB stick.Definitely do not do this. Real bad advice to give to anyone. :x

+1 Thank's for your help I'm going to get a pci card which should make thing's easier hopefully.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

strike;5569757

Yeah try dosflash, its easy and simple. esp for Benq drives.

+1 for help.

Frankie1;5569777

+1 Thank's for your help I'm going to get a pci card which should make … +1 Thank's for your help I'm going to get a pci card which should make thing's easier hopefully.:thumbsup:

Before spending any money, these are your options:

1. Get ]this. It'll boot from a USB flash drive. Because you're not in Windows, they'll be no device conflicts on unnecessary access issues.

2. Get your VIA 6421 PCI card and remember not to install any drivers for it - JungleFlasher's PortIO32 drivers will take care of the addressing side of things.

Xb0xGuru;5569753

Definitely do not do this. Real bad advice to give to anyone. :x

Was just passing on info given in the JungleFlasher documentation. I use a CK3 myself so no need for any messing around using the 360 to power the drive.

JungleFlasher doc

You need to power on the drive with the Tray Half Open – To do this using … You need to power on the drive with the Tray Half Open – To do this using an Xbox 360 as Power source, eject the DVD drive and then remove the power lead from the Drive. Close the tray half way and plug the DVD Drive power cable back into the drive, being VERY cautious to ensure the plug is the right way around.

I can't see the harm unless you're rough and break the cable.

oldmanhouse;5569884

Was just passing on info given in the JungleFlasher documentation. I use … Was just passing on info given in the JungleFlasher documentation. I use a CK3 myself so no need for any messing around using the 360 to power the drive.I can't see the harm unless you're rough and break the cable.

The harm is that it's easy to force the cable the wrong way around and then either blowing the drive of something more sinister. It's just as easy to just turn off the 360 and turn it on again.

Xb0xGuru;5569950

The harm is that it's easy to force the cable the wrong way around and … The harm is that it's easy to force the cable the wrong way around and then either blowing the drive of something more sinister. It's just as easy to just turn off the 360 and turn it on again.

Fair enough, seems like a sensible idea. I always double check the little slot is lined up the right way before jamming it in the hole to be on the safe side.
    Would have thought the documentation would advise turning the console off if that does the same job as yanking the cable out. :?

oldmanhouse;5570247

Fair enough, seems like a sensible idea. I always double check the little … Fair enough, seems like a sensible idea. I always double check the little slot is lined up the right way before jamming it in the hole to be on the safe side. Would have thought the documentation would advise turning the console off if that does the same job as yanking the cable out. :?

Me too - I believe it's to do with timing (which shouldn't be an issue as long as you've setup your hardware/drivers correctly).

Original Poster

I succesfully flashed my drive thanks to djnaff for his amazing help!!!

anyone know of somewhere in kent (thanet or canterbury way preffered)i can get my elite flashed, really dont have the know how or want to take the chance doing it myself, would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction77
      2. Decent Mp3 Player?33
      3. Box Nation44
      4. iPhone x66

See more discussions