Groups

XBox 360 Hard Drive Upgrade Advice

I'm planning on upgrading the hard drive in my XBox 360 using the following guide: digiex.net/gui…tml

It all looks pretty straightforward but I have a question regarding the step where you need to connect the new drive to your PC in order to run HDDHACKR against it.

I don't have a PC with SATA connections so wondered, if instead, I could use a USB to SATA Adapter cable such as this: cgi.fleabay.co.uk/USB…1ee

If so, as you need to boot from the DOS USB key you would have prepared earlier, will it be able to see the above USB to SATA Adapter?

Also, where will the SATA drive draw its power from when using this cable? The USB port?

Or do I need to buy a kit with a separate power supply such as this: cgi.fleabay.co.uk/USB…f04

BTW, the drive I intend to use is a WD2500BEVT: ebuyer.com/pro…513

5 Comments

is really worth the effort, you are going to spend £30 on the drive, maybe cables to make it work, a caddy to fit in the xbox.
    Is it not better to buy something like this:
    http://****.co.uk/ws/…dll?ViewItem&item=140485458102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Original Poster

mighty sausage

is really worth the effort, you are going to spend £30 on the drive, … is really worth the effort, you are going to spend £30 on the drive, maybe cables to make it work, a caddy to fit in the xbox.Is it not better to buy something like this:http://****.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140485458102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have an XBox 360, not an XBox 360S otherwise your suggestion would have been perfect.

ok,
    then even cheaper:
    http://****.co.uk/Mic…20e

It won't work. you need to supply the 2.5 with power as well as all of the usb adaptors I have will sort of power but not be recognisable and none of the usb/sata adapters I have are picked up at the stage you need with hdd hackr.

Can you not use a mates comp....

If you get stuck you could send me the drive and I will flash it for you and return it for postage.
    Edited by: "dontasciime" 23rd Feb 2011

Original Poster

dontasciime

It won't work. you need to supply the 2.5 with power as well as all of … It won't work. you need to supply the 2.5 with power as well as all of the usb adaptors I have will sort of power but not be recognisable and none of the usb/sata adapters I have are picked up at the stage you need with hdd hackr.Can you not use a mates comp....If you get stuck you could send me the drive and I will flash it for you and return it for postage.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Appreciate the offer but will see if a mate can help.

Thanks to sausage as well for the drive suggestions.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Customs charged too much for a little item!66
      2. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware34
      3. Multi fuel stove deals11
      4. Memory foam mattress topper56

See more discussions