Expired

XBOX 360 - NEED A FAN TO PLACE BETWEEN MY GPU HEAT SINK AND DVD DRIVE- NOT MUCH CLEARANCE ABOUT 6MM

Found 12th Oct 2008
Hi all
can anybody help
one of the main problems with the 3 red light errors with the 360 is the gpu heat sink get so hot as there are no internal fans as standard on the older 1st gen 360's
even the fans at the back blow out
i added a cpu fan and the cpu heat sink stays pretty cool
had mine reapired first time and lasted 6 months and went again
so sent it away again and lasted only 3 days let some one else look at it and they said they had no joy
so i thought what the heck i would have a go
same problem
until i placed the cpu fan blowing on the gpu heat sink
let it run for about 20 mins with red lights flashing then turned it off
then i turned it back on about 5 mins later and got green lights and working
while i keep the fan on the gpu heat sink i get no problems
and if you touch the gpu heat sink its cool NOT HOT
so i am looking for something like a graphics card fan to place between the gpu heat sink and dvd drive but there is only about 6 mm clearance
really bad design fault microsoft
any one know where you can buy grahic cards fans
i have seen case fans about 10mm thick . ive thought about doctoring one of those
but would rather just have a graphics card one to place ontop of the heat sink keeping it cool

6 Comments

Yes I thought about this a problem a few times, but there seems to be no ready made solution. If you come up with anything let us know.

I was thinking along the lines of 'joining' the 2 heat sinks and then placing a decent fan on the front side of the cpu heatsink. How that would be best achieved I'm not sure.

Original Poster

Meangreenie;3174004

Yes I thought about this a problem a few times, but there seems to be no … Yes I thought about this a problem a few times, but there seems to be no ready made solution. If you come up with anything let us know.I was thinking along the lines of 'joining' the 2 heat sinks and then placing a decent fan on the front side of the cpu heatsink. How that would be best achieved I'm not sure.

the cpu fan i had fitted goes infront of the cpu heat sink and you could channel where the air is to flow but not ideal just no room in there
toyed with the idea of getting an external dvd casing and putting a whopping pc fan ontop of the heatsink because when i added the cpu fan on the gpu heat sink it was cold also another problem is the 2 ram chips that are not covered by the gpu heat sink get really hot too so it would need to be a big fan to also cover the 2 ram chips
i could then have the dvd drive outside the 360 connected by some sata extension cable but thought it would look messy with a hole where the drive goes unless i could fill the gap with something
the best thing in my opinion for someone to make a 3rd party gpu heat sink about the same size as the oem one but has a cut out with a fan in and the fins angled to also flow to the ram chips i think this is the best idea but not got the confidance to chop away at my heat sink. or the heat sink could be bigger to cover the other 2 ram chips too

mate... the issue is not the heatsink but the thermal paste itself. The design of the X-clamp is also a problem. I generally remove the x-clamp and replace them with normal bolts and washers.

Regarding the thermal paste simply remove the old stuff and use high quality high temp thermal paste... problem solved.

The fan is not a solution.

I've done dozens of these repairs. If you need help just pm me or google search.. plenty of tutorials out there.

Original Poster

TheGimp;3174334

mate... the issue is not the heatsink but the thermal paste itself. The … mate... the issue is not the heatsink but the thermal paste itself. The design of the X-clamp is also a problem. I generally remove the x-clamp and replace them with normal bolts and washers.Regarding the thermal paste simply remove the old stuff and use high quality high temp thermal paste... problem solved.The fan is not a solution.I've done dozens of these repairs. If you need help just pm me or google search.. plenty of tutorials out there.

i had the xclamps replaced 1st time round and lasted 6 months
with m5 x12mm screws and washers ( 3 steel and 1 nylon then the mobo then another nylon and a steel, even tried split washers too)
then went again think both times was error 0102
sent it away again to be done and only lasted 3 days
so i thought i would have a go
and also got some artic 5 thermal paste
and every time i put it back together and left it for a bout 15 mins
still got red lights
i then done it again and (everytime using new heat paste)
but this time placed the cpu fan over the gpu and this time it worked
and when applying the heat paste i only add a little about the size of a grain og rice and spread it all over with a cut down bank card.
so this i why i thought i fan over the gpu heatsink would keep the gpu cooler

Original Poster

edit for the post above
all the good graphics cards nowadays come with a heat sink with a fan either on top or the heatsink has a recess so the fan is inside the heatsink fins and is flush
this is why i wanted to try and get a fan to do the same
as you dont hear of many pc graphics cards overheating
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21102
    2. 5am gym crew20139
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2636
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769530

See more discussions