Xbox 360 Price cuts confirmed by MS for Sept 19th - £129/169/229

Don't go shopping for a 360 for the rest of the week! Price cuts confirmed by MS this morning.

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox 360 is to receive a price cut in Europe, with the Arcade unit now selling for GBP 129.99 / EUR 179.99.

The new price points come into effect September 19, with the Premium unit complete with 60GB hard drive selling for 169.99 / EUR 239.99 and the Xbox 360 Elite for GBP 229.99 / EUR 299.99.

"Xbox 360 has now sold over 20 million consoles worldwide and due to its unprecedented success, we are now able to pass on the rewards of that success to the consumer with a new retail pricing from £129.99," commented Neil Thompson, senior regional director for Microsoft UK.

"With more games, more entertainment with Xbox Live and now even more value, we are looking forward to welcoming more customers into the leading next generation console, Xbox 360."

gamesindustry.biz/art…ces

91 Comments

Hooray, my son want one to upgrade from his ps2 he has one game from the Morrison bargains to play so this will be a welcome to my pocket.

Banned

this has already been leaked via a woolworths source

Wow, talk about competitive pricing! £129.99 is a great price for a 360!

Surely Nintendo will have to drop the price of the Wii to match? And Sony - £300? Pfft.

Although I'm surprised Microsoft's gaming division aren't deep in the red with their cock-ups and this price war...

Original Poster

fragaliciousbob;2980029

this has already been leaked via a woolworths source

Yes but no-one knew ;

a) When the price cut occurred (People thought it was this week, then that was changed to the first week of October. In fact in the first thread people were going to Woolies yesterday morning only to be greeted by blank stares when they asked about a £129 Xbox 360)

b) If this was a Woolworth's only price drop, or if it was Microsoft's doing.

At least now the news is cleared up and people know when (and where) the xbox 360 price cut is incoming.

thecresta;2980040

Although I'm surprised Microsoft's gaming division aren't deep in the red … Although I'm surprised Microsoft's gaming division aren't deep in the red with their cock-ups and this price war...

They would be, the red rings of death / 3 yr warranty cost $1billion alone.

They are rich and are looking at the "bigger picture" and they need to make a loss to get market share.. maybe they wont break even on 360 but xbox3 or 4..

good job i got rid mines,i replaced it with the wii and by the looks of it since ive bought it theve been so many good deals out there lol

I may buy an arcade for my bedroom now at that price if the gf wants the tv in the other room

so i guess we can expect a further £10 or so off those prices from Play.com and the like :thumbsup:

Don't buy any Christmas Wiis yet!

Maybe no, found this at pocket lint dated 4th September. Would be a massive U turn if not the case:

"NEWS: 4 September 2008 11:35 GMT by Stuart Miles
Microsoft has said that it won't be passing on the price cuts in the US to its Xbox 360 console to the UK, Pocket-lint has learnt.

In what is another case of Rip-off Britain Microsoft has said that it has nothing to announce in the UK.

"Pricing is handled on a region-by-region basis. We do not have a price drop in this region to announce", was the official word.

The news means that the Xbox 360 Arcade official price is now £48 more expensive in the UK than the US.

Earlier in the year retailers keen to encourage sales of the console lowered the price without the approval of Microsoft, but there is no word as to whether they will be doing the same this time around. "

I also heard they might be bringing out a quieter version eventually, bit like the PS2 slim. This would be welcome as at the moment it sounds like Henry the Hoover.

geco78;2980148

Maybe no, found this at pocket lint dated 4th September. Would be a … Maybe no, found this at pocket lint dated 4th September. Would be a massive U turn if not the case:"NEWS: 4 September 2008 11:35 GMT by Stuart Miles Microsoft has said that it won't be passing on the price cuts in the US to its Xbox 360 console to the UK, Pocket-lint has learnt. In what is another case of Rip-off Britain Microsoft has said that it has nothing to announce in the UK. "Pricing is handled on a region-by-region basis. We do not have a price drop in this region to announce", was the official word. The news means that the Xbox 360 Arcade official price is now £48 more expensive in the UK than the US. Earlier in the year retailers keen to encourage sales of the console lowered the price without the approval of Microsoft, but there is no word as to whether they will be doing the same this time around. "

that was 12 days ago, not suprised in the slightest that Microsoft would go against their word in the space of a fortnight

I also heard they might be bringing out a quieter version eventually, bit … I also heard they might be bringing out a quieter version eventually, bit like the PS2 slim. This would be welcome as at the moment it sounds like Henry the Hoover.

Never

I take it you don't actually own the new 175w 360 with the Benq drive and … I take it you don't actually own the new 175w 360 with the Benq drive and the super quite fans, as you would know that the new machine hardly makes any noise at all ?..

You were lucky

hopefully I can get one for £120 from amazon...is there anyway to extend the warranty on the 360 further? I know you can take gamecare if you buy from game.co.uk

I'm gonna buy one too.....purely for the new Street Fighter 4.
I can play my old xbox games on the 360 right?

chelskii;2980171

I take it you don't actually own the new 175w 360 with the Benq drive and … I take it you don't actually own the new 175w 360 with the Benq drive and the super quite fans, as you would know that the new machine hardly makes any noise at all ?..

I have the new 60gb premium and I would hardly say it was quiet! Without a disc in it's not to bad, put a disc in the drive and it's volume up time!

Most of the good ones.

I can play my old xbox games on the 360 right?

only if you have hard drive

starsparkle2311;2980207

still attached to my PS2 which i love.:roll:

There won't ever be a console like the PS2. Its game library was just awesome

thecresta;2980040

Wow, talk about competitive pricing! £129.99 is a great price for a … Wow, talk about competitive pricing! £129.99 is a great price for a 360!Surely Nintendo will have to drop the price of the Wii to match? And Sony - £300? Pfft.Although I'm surprised Microsoft's gaming division aren't deep in the red with their cock-ups and this price war...

Hmm, it's going to be interestng to watch the next few weeks / months. Nintendo are sitting pretty at the moment, demand for the Wii is still very strong so they may just choose to keep it where it is over Christmas and settle for not being totaly sold out in every gaming store throughtout the land and take an extra few quid profit per unit. Althought they've got to be able to make a price drop on the Wii and still be making money off it surely...

Sony though may be in trouble here. This was always on the cards since the 360 made it out so far ahead of the PS3, they've just had more time to reduce production costs and now it's going to hit home for Sony. The PS3 now looks horribly expensive and stand-alone Blu-Ray players are starting to beat it on price as well. At £170 for the Premium model versus £300 for the 80Gb PS3 that's a HUGE price gap and you'd think it'd start to hurt Sony pretty darn quickly. The brand name will still shift a lot of units of course, especially in Europe, but boy is it hard to justify especially around Christmas time in a poor economy.

So keep the PS3 high and make money off it while seeing the 360 gain in sales or drop the price and loose what little profit you're getting (which, lest we forget, is still offsetting the losses made in the first months of the systems life). The only thing Sony have in their favour right now is that the PS3 is very expensive in Europe compared to the US and Japan so they may have more wriggle room.

As I said, interesting times....

chelskii;2980171

The new 60GB is not that much quieter than my launch model, When the disc spins up its really noisy.

I think the materials used to build the new ones are inferior too, even the power connector is plastic instead of metal now.

Original Poster

The DVD drive will always be the weak link in the system with regards to noise. You just can't make a dvd drive spin quietly at 12x. I've had experience with Hitachi/Samsung and the Benq drives and although the Benq is easily the quietest of the three it is still noisy in the grand scheme of things.

Of course the new dashboard update with install to hard drive should make things a heck of a lot quieter for people with a hard drive.

chelskii;2980171

Sorry I don't agree, I'm lucky to have both new systems and after using the PS3 then going back to the 360 the noise is really noticeable, if you haven't got a 360 and are watching funds this is a great deal, but IMO after using both systems and finding that the PS3 has so much more to offer I will not be replacing my second 360 when it dies.

sionyboy;2980380

The DVD drive will always be the weak link in the system with regards to … The DVD drive will always be the weak link in the system with regards to noise. You just can't make a dvd drive spin quietly at 12x. I've had experience with Hitachi/Samsung and the Benq drives and although the Benq is easily the quietest of the three it is still noisy in the grand scheme of things.Of course the new dashboard update with install to hard drive should make things a heck of a lot quieter for people with a hard drive.

+1 You're dead on there.

sionyboy;2980380

The DVD drive will always be the weak link in the system with regards to … The DVD drive will always be the weak link in the system with regards to noise. You just can't make a dvd drive spin quietly at 12x. I've had experience with Hitachi/Samsung and the Benq drives and although the Benq is easily the quietest of the three it is still noisy in the grand scheme of things.Of course the new dashboard update with install to hard drive should make things a heck of a lot quieter for people with a hard drive.

Quite right, the main reason the PS3 is quieter is the fact it spins discs no faster the PS2 did, whereas the 360 goes into overdrive to read its DVDs.

Original Poster

When the new dashboard comes out and you can install games the system should make no more noise than it does playing demos or arcade games. I can easily live with that level of noise (frankly my Falcon 360 playing demos and arcade games is quieter than my old xbox and PS2)

Course the older Xenon 360s can be pretty noisy all the time what with the fans working overtime to cool the system. My Falcon 360 RROD'd on me last week so I borrowed my old Xenon 360 off my brother to play some Castle Crashers. Damn, I forgot (or just didn't realise) how noisy that old unit could be. Don't get me wrong it wasn't like a helicopter taking off in my room as some would have you believe, but it was definitely intrusive. I also forgot how those old 360s could double as a portable storage heater! Handy in the winter.

CDR;2980052

They would be, the red rings of death / 3 yr warranty cost $1billion … They would be, the red rings of death / 3 yr warranty cost $1billion alone. They are rich and are looking at the "bigger picture" and they need to make a loss to get market share.. maybe they wont break even on 360 but xbox3 or 4..

They want to win the war and conquer the World and have an almost unlimited amount of cash at their disposal, and it will happen eventually.

I am not Microsoft's biggest fan but I would love to see them crush the Wii this Christmas.

lazygamer;2980396

Quite right, the main reason the PS3 is quieter is the fact it spins … Quite right, the main reason the PS3 is quieter is the fact it spins discs no faster the PS2 did, whereas the 360 goes into overdrive to read its DVDs.

I can confirm this since I have ran a 360 drive at 2x before and the console lost about 3 quarters of the overall noise, although it's worth mentioning that the fans are fairly noisy in it too and it the casing isn't really insulated against the noise at all.

starsparkle2311;2980251

Yeh and the games i couldn't afford to buy new at the time can be picked … Yeh and the games i couldn't afford to buy new at the time can be picked up quite cheap now!

We are talking about the same console aren't we ?

Big black ugly thing which later became smaller black ugly thing and which owed it's entire success on this side of the planet to Grand Theft Auto ?

When I switch on my 4 / 360's at the same time my local seismologists get all excited.

It's ok though I have found a way to make them quieter without a third party mod.

img244.imageshack.us/my.…jpg

Why do you have 4 of them ?

I am not Microsoft's biggest fan but I would love to see them crush the … I am not Microsoft's biggest fan but I would love to see them crush the Wii this Christmas.

Nintendo will do that for them. The same way they do every year by creating a shortage of it's products.

Why do you have 4 of them ?

Cos I bought 3 and got 1 given

No I bought 4, my original premium one then a modded prmium one, then a premium 1 for my son and then an elite for me

Spark;2980539

Big black ugly thing which later became smaller black ugly thing and … Big black ugly thing which later became smaller black ugly thing and which owed it's entire success on this side of the planet to Grand Theft Auto ?

To be honest, all consoles of that generation were ugly. Although, I never played GTA and still there was a never-ending list of great, exclusive games for the PS2 (Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Final Fantasy, tekken, Jak). GTA Vice City was also released on PC and San Adreas was also out on the Xbox, anyway.

It wasn't the most powerful system but it had exclusivity (kinda like the wii now) and an immense game library.

By the way, IGN has confirmed price cuts!

dontasciime;2980587

Nintendo will do that for them. The same way they do every year by … Nintendo will do that for them. The same way they do every year by creating a shortage of it's products.

In the N64 days I used to think that they did that on purpose.

That machine needs to die a death as soon as possible though.

Hydromancer;2980601

To be honest, all consoles of that generation were ugly. Although, I … To be honest, all consoles of that generation were ugly. Although, I never played GTA and still there was a never-ending list of great, exclusive games for the PS2 (Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Final Fantasy, tekken, Jak). GTA Vice City was also released on PC and San Adreas was also out on the Xbox, anyway. It wasn't the most powerful system but it had exclusivity (kinda like the wii now) and an immense game library.By the way, IGN has confirmed price cuts!

I didn't think any of the consoles of that gen were anything particularly special, apart from the Dreamcast but unfortunately that one sank. :-(

does anyone know if i get the arcade (basic) unit, can i use the harddrive from my dead premium 360 (was the original production line model).

i am not fussed at all about keeping my game saves or the info on it, i just didnt want to pay extra for another drive that i already have?

johnnewhouse;2980773

does anyone know if i get the arcade (basic) unit, can i use the … does anyone know if i get the arcade (basic) unit, can i use the harddrive from my dead premium 360 (was the original production line model).i am not fussed at all about keeping my game saves or the info on it, i just didnt want to pay extra for another drive that i already have?

should be able to

johnnewhouse;2980773

does anyone know if i get the arcade (basic) unit, can i use the … does anyone know if i get the arcade (basic) unit, can i use the harddrive from my dead premium 360 (was the original production line model).i am not fussed at all about keeping my game saves or the info on it, i just didnt want to pay extra for another drive that i already have?

Yes, you can use it. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

johnnewhouse;2980773

Yes you can (echo.....)

However, any Arcade games or DLC you got will only work if you are conected to Live. (When you downoad stuff from live it is attached to the security key of the HDD and Xbox 360. If one of these keys does not match up then it has to connect to Live to see if you are the proper owner of the content)

You will need to transfer the licence rights over to your new 360.

Full walkthrough is here;

xbox.com/en-…rm/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415314087
    2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917250
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386134
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213600

See more discussions