Groups

Xbox 360 RED RING OF DEATH!!

Hi, iv just switched my xbox on only to find the red flashing lights circling the on button! Does this mean its the end of my xbox's life?? iv also had the xbox for 2 years now so does that also mean that microsoft wont fix it?

cheers

27 Comments

You are covered for 3 years with Microsoft if the problem is RROD. Good luck with them though, customer service is dreadful, hope you get a new replacement not someone elses console....I had dreadful trouble with my Microsoft Steering wheel retrofit, they sent me a replacement really scuffed unit, took weeks to get sorted in all....india call centre, dreadful comms.

If you bought it new from a decent retailer like Gamestation, it might actually be worth trying there first to see if they will swap it, and let them deal with returning that unit to MS.

Always is better IF you can get the store to replace rather than letting those MS muppets get their hands on your faulty console, as you will be without for a couple of weeks.

Is It 3 Lights Or 4 If 4 Check The Leads In The Back May Be Loose

Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the reply, how long does it normally take to fix and whats the normal process (how and where do i send it to, any paperwork needed etc)

Original Poster

milhouse;3839862

Is It 3 Lights Or 4 If 4 Check The Leads In The Back May Be Loose

ok ill check, cheers

Original Poster

3 red lights........GREAT!

Go through the RMA procedure online, very quick and easy.

Original Poster

abomination;3839886

Thanks, ill go check it out.

ddturner1986;3839865

Hi, thanks for the reply, how long does it normally take to fix and whats … Hi, thanks for the reply, how long does it normally take to fix and whats the normal process (how and where do i send it to, any paperwork needed etc)

]https//se…-gb

Just your console serial number needed, and if not already registered I think you would need your Date Of Purchase.

abomination;3839886

indeed. only takes a few mins. everything can be done online including arranging uplift from ups

Original Poster

cicobuff;3839935

]https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-gbJust your console … ]https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-gbJust your console serial number needed, and if not already registered I think you would need your Date Of Purchase.

Hey cicobuff thanks for that! all repped :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Iv just been told that my dad sent this xbox off last year for the same problem, can i still be repaired again?

I got a Xbox 360, went down on 24th of December (there is a joke in there some where), the strange thing is this , microsoft havnt fixed the problem even with the current models. If you used gamestation they will tell you to go back to microsoft even though by law they suppose to sort out the problem. If you have a reciept you are entitled to back to place of purchase up to ...no joke ...7 years....if you got it from HMV or Zavvi, call them on the phone speak to manager , explain the situation and you should be able to get a replacement. Other wise microsoft at this time of year normally take about 2 weeks to sort the problem, because everything is shutting down for the pagan holidays. You could go on to the narrow gate like myself, and get a PS3...sorry but its pricey but sexy...

Jacob_Kreed;3840571

I got a Xbox 360, went down on 24th of December (there is a joke in there … I got a Xbox 360, went down on 24th of December (there is a joke in there some where), the strange thing is this , microsoft havnt fixed the problem even with the current models. If you used gamestation they will tell you to go back to microsoft even though by law they suppose to sort out the problem. If you have a reciept you are entitled to back to place of purchase up to ...no joke ...7 years....if you got it from HMV or Zavvi, call them on the phone speak to manager , explain the situation and you should be able to get a replacement. Other wise microsoft at this time of year normally take about 2 weeks to sort the problem, because everything is shutting down for the pagan holidays. You could go on to the narrow gate like myself, and get a PS3...sorry but its pricey but sexy...

I have never had any problems with Gamestation myself (although not had the red ring of death)

Bought a 360 in May 2007, got sick and tired of the noise it made and the fact it was HDMI-less, took it back to GS in Dec 2007, told them it was noisy and kept freezing...they swapped it for a HDMI Zephyr....then when the falcon was more prevelant ,I took that one in in March 2008 saying the same problem, they swapped it out for a new HDMI Falcon with a Benq drive. Each swap I had a new receipt, so effectively creating a new warranty.

Been Happy with my Benq Falcon since, and its still under its years normal warranty! even though I purchased my original Xbox 10 months before!

ddturner1986;3839957

Hey cicobuff thanks for that! all repped :thumbsup:

Very kind of you thanks, hope you get a speedy turnaround and no problems

I'm waiting for my launch 360 to die a horrible death (again) so that I can justify buying a new model that hopefully................. doesn't make as much noise!

My friends xbox looks like it gets the ring of death. According to him it just gets cold in the winter and needs to warm up before he puts it on fully...not so sure myself but you could try that temporarily!

RickyBobby;3840914

My friends xbox looks like it gets the ring of death. According to him it … My friends xbox looks like it gets the ring of death. According to him it just gets cold in the winter and needs to warm up before he puts it on fully...not so sure myself but you could try that temporarily!

Yeah? I thought all the 360s were failing because of overheating. Is it thermal expansion killing them instead?

]This explains it quite well and nice and briefly :thumbsup:

cicobuff;3839844

You are covered for 3 years with Microsoft if the problem is RROD. Good … You are covered for 3 years with Microsoft if the problem is RROD. Good luck with them though, customer service is dreadful, hope you get a new replacement not someone elses console....I had dreadful trouble with my Microsoft Steering wheel retrofit, they sent me a replacement really scuffed unit, took weeks to get sorted in all....india call centre, dreadful comms.If you bought it new from a decent retailer like Gamestation, it might actually be worth trying there first to see if they will swap it, and let them deal with returning that unit to MS.Always is better IF you can get the store to replace rather than letting those MS muppets get their hands on your faulty console, as you will be without for a couple of weeks.

From what I hear MS are very good about fixing the RROD. Work colleague sent his back for repair, and got it back within a week, with a free months gold subscription for the inconvenience of being Xbox-less...

Sounds like good customer service to me.

DragonChris;3841555

From what I hear MS are very good about fixing the RROD. Work colleague … From what I hear MS are very good about fixing the RROD. Work colleague sent his back for repair, and got it back within a week, with a free months gold subscription for the inconvenience of being Xbox-less...Sounds like good customer service to me.

If you can avoid phoning them and dont have any troubles sure, but there are plenty of people that have had shoddy refurbs as replacements, I had to photograph proof of the scuffs on my replacement steering wheel, it was terrible....you send your original one in for retrofitting because of a potentially dangerous component overheating, and rather than retrofitting that they then dont send you your original wheel back and send you a scuffed up unit instead.

Have you ever had the misfortune of having to call Microsoft over any issue? Their outsourced call centre is dreadful.

cicobuff;3841863

If you can avoid phoning them and dont have any troubles sure, but there … If you can avoid phoning them and dont have any troubles sure, but there are plenty of people that have had shoddy refurbs as replacements, I had to photograph proof of the scuffs on my replacement steering wheel, it was terrible....you send your original one in for retrofitting because of a potentially dangerous component overheating, and rather than retrofitting that they then dont send you your original wheel back and send you a scuffed up unit instead.Have you ever had the misfortune of having to call Microsoft over any issue? Their outsourced call centre is dreadful.

In my current job I have been expecting to need to call Microsoft but have never had the misfortune (yet). Had fun with Dell though, although that wasn't too bad.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with MS As I said, I haven't had to deal with MS directly (yet) and hoping I won't with my Xbox (another 48 hours until I get my mits on it...). If I do though, I'll be sure to take note and photographs of the machine, serial numbers etc and see if they match in the end. Or just do what my colleague did - Buy a new arcade and sell the fixed Xbox on eBay rofl :thumbsup:

Jacob_Kreed;3840571

I got a Xbox 360, went down on 24th of December (there is a joke in there … I got a Xbox 360, went down on 24th of December (there is a joke in there some where), the strange thing is this , microsoft havnt fixed the problem even with the current models. If you used gamestation they will tell you to go back to microsoft even though by law they suppose to sort out the problem. If you have a reciept you are entitled to back to place of purchase up to ...no joke ...7 years....if you got it from HMV or Zavvi, call them on the phone speak to manager , explain the situation and you should be able to get a replacement. Other wise microsoft at this time of year normally take about 2 weeks to sort the problem, because everything is shutting down for the pagan holidays. You could go on to the narrow gate like myself, and get a PS3...sorry but its pricey but sexy...

I've never had a problem with Gamestation.

My PS3 conked it after one month and I got an instant refund no questions asked because they had no PS3's left.

RickyBobby;3841038

]This explains it quite well and nice and briefly :thumbsup:

Ah. I was thinking of buying myself a 360 and then modding it, which I guess would kill my warranty. Would leaving the side off and adding a couple of fans help prevent the RRoD, d'you reckon?

Original Poster

Iv just turned my xbox on this morning (after it was showing the 3 red lights last night) and its now working.. any ideas whats happened anyone?:?

ddturner1986;3843434

Iv just turned my xbox on this morning (after it was showing the 3 red … Iv just turned my xbox on this morning (after it was showing the 3 red lights last night) and its now working.. any ideas whats happened anyone?:?

Yeah same thing happened to me shortly before I got it permanently.....

It did that on and off for a couple of months before dying completely....Its just a matter of time unfortunately..

ddturner1986;3843434

Iv just turned my xbox on this morning (after it was showing the 3 red … Iv just turned my xbox on this morning (after it was showing the 3 red lights last night) and its now working.. any ideas whats happened anyone?:?

Put on your reported problem that it is "intermittent", I am sure the Microsoft engineers know exactly where to look for the RROD problem, chances are as its cooled its making a temporary contact that loosens when the console gets warm, or as in earlier 360s cases hot!

Game will tell you to contact Microsoft, unless you're lucky enough to work there or know someone who works there.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714463
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767185
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553762
      4. word association Game73844456

See more discussions