Groups
    EXPIRED

xbox 360 slim hdd question,

Banned
    Hi all,
    I had a an xbox elite 20gb, i then bought the 4gb slim. I took the hdd from the elite and put it in a caddy to slot straight into my slim. The slim recognises it as a flash drive. Can someone please explain (in laymen's terms) how i format it to work in my slim as an internal hdd. I know it can be done as long as the hdd is compatible (which it is as i took from an elite). Really need help guys!
    Thanks

16 Comments

You're connecting it internally? Not via USB.

Original Poster Banned

Krooner

You're connecting it internally? Not via USB.

Internally yes as if it was bought directly from Microsoft

yeraymachinery

Internally yes as if it was bought directly from Microsoft

Did you format it on the old machine before you moved it over? From memory it would need to be blank going into the new system.

Original Poster Banned

Krooner

Did you format it on the old machine before you moved it over? From … Did you format it on the old machine before you moved it over? From memory it would need to be blank going into the new system.

It's completely blank, reads it as a flash drive though

You didn't reformat it on a PC did you?

Original Poster Banned

Krooner

You didn't reformat it on a PC did you?

Yes it has, hence why it needs re formatting for the xbox, I know it can be done but not sure how

It can't unfortunately, once it's no longer in the 360 file type you can't go back.

Original Poster Banned

It can defiantly be done but the YouTube videos are by people that know what their doing..

Ar460rn

Can't verify it works, but … Can't verify it works, but http://www.wikihow.com/Format-a-Hard-Drive-for-Use-With-Xbox-360

This is just to use a drive as an external.

yeraymachinery

It can defiantly be done but the YouTube videos are by people that know … It can defiantly be done but the YouTube videos are by people that know what their doing..

There's no way to do this. Honestly. Once they're formatted with the 360 filesystem the drives are locked. once you unlock that drive (formatting it) you can't lock it again.

You can spoof some higher capacity WD drives with software that will make the 360 think that the drive is official but you need a specific drive, I'm not sure it's actually manufactured anymore.

Original Poster Banned

The drive I have is defiantly capable as I've checked it out, it's just doing it...

yeraymachinery

The drive I have is defiantly capable as I've checked it out, it's just … The drive I have is defiantly capable as I've checked it out, it's just doing it...

It isn't. None of the 20GB Samsung/Fujitsu/Hitachi drives MS used can be spoofed. You need a new drive.

joshm

Why wouldn't something like this … Why wouldn't something like this work?http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/3152-hack-250gb-320gb-500gb-sata-harddrive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html

Because it's specific to that particular drive. The software for writing it won't recognise anything but certain WD drives.
    Edited by: "Krooner" 18th Jun 2014

Krooner

Because it's specific to that particular drive. The software for writing … Because it's specific to that particular drive. The software for writing it won't recognise anything but certain WD drives.

Ok thanks. This article seems to suggest it might be possible with non-WD drives? I admit I haven't read it in any detail, just browsing whilst drinking vino and watching TV!

digiex.net/gui…tml

joshm

Ok thanks. This article seems to suggest it might be possible with non-WD … Ok thanks. This article seems to suggest it might be possible with non-WD drives? I admit I haven't read it in any detail, just browsing whilst drinking vino and watching TV!http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/8569-xbox-360-how-flash-your-hddss-bin-windows.html

From the thread:

Doing it on other-than-WD drives is a no-go. I tried it with a Seagate … Doing it on other-than-WD drives is a no-go. I tried it with a Seagate drive and it seems that even if I write the 16-22 sectors and create the partitions, the XBOX still wouldn't recognize it. Also, all WD drives that are flashed via hddhackr are then seen by the computer (in both Windows and the BIOS) as Hitachi / Fujitsu (depending on the hddss.bin file used) and there's no way (yet) to flash the firmware of a non-WD drive with hddhackr. Other ways of modifying the firmware aren't really known to us mortals, as it implies modifying data in "negative" logical sectors.The xbox must be rejecting the drive when it sees it as Seagate at boot time. Too bad, would've been great to use non-wd drives laying around.

Edited by: "Krooner" 18th Jun 2014
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER44
      2. Virgin Media when moving house58
      3. Digital ps4 games11
      4. Android Box539

See more discussions