Groups

XBOX 360 VGA problems

Weve had a philips 20" HD tv for ages but we thought we would finally hook it up with HD through the DVI-I port, the only way we could figure out how to do it is through a VGA - DVI-I adaptor so we bought one of these:
    dealextreme.com/det…708

And using the official xbox VGA cable weve plugged it into the tv.. but heres the problem! No video!

Have we done something wrong?

9 Comments

ok, there's a lil switch on the block part that connects into the 360, have you tried switchin that to the opposite setting when its all plugged in and on?

I'm not sure that this is even possible - isn't VGA an analogue signal and DVI is obviously a digital one. I think you'd need a VGA-DVI converter (rather than adapter), which is a bit pointless really.

Original Poster

@ Hayward, thanks but the VGA doesnt have a switch (that i can see) thats just the one which comes with the xbox

@Jaybarnett VGA is analogue, DVI-I is analogue & Digital (it intergrates DVI-D and DVI-A) everything i have read tells me that it is possible (and people have it working)

Does your xbox have a hdmi port and are you starting the xbox with a game disk in? If so remove the game disk, switch off and switch on again (without disk in) and it will startup after around 35 secs.

If it does solve the problem this thread explains a bit more
    hotukdeals.com/ite…n-/

i done the same method you mentioned a long time ago and it worked for me not sure why its not working for you. Because theres no such thing as a dvi 360 cable so you would need to use a dvi adaptor on the vga cable only things i can think about is that youve either havent selected the right channel or the console settings on your 360 isnt set correct or the dvi adapter is a input adaptor and not an output adaptor so it couldnt output the signal to your tv, these are all guesses
    because i havent seen your setup to be sure whats wrong

Ace Hayward;1519375

ok, there's a lil switch on the block part that connects into the 360, … ok, there's a lil switch on the block part that connects into the 360, have you tried switchin that to the opposite setting when its all plugged in and on?

the switch your taking about is only on the component cable that came with the xbox 360 preminum
    which meant the cable could act as an audio/video cable or a component cable the vga cable only acts as a vga cable so no need for a switch

Original Poster

Thanks guys, i will give your ideas a try

had a look at your link - dealextreme.com/det…708 the picture does looks like the right adapter female vga to a male dvi but the description says DVI-I to VGA Adapter which usually implies converting dvi to vga the opposite of what your trying to do so im still not sure.

ah yea ttsese. my bad =P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      2. word association Game74044544
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions