XBox 360 with E66 error???

Bought an XBox 360 yesterday for £75 and was told it was working fine blar blar blar.

Got it home and tried to power it up and it briefly boots to the startup screen (less than a second) then it comes up with a system error page and at the bottom it states E66 looked on the net and found this out:

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older than the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

So it looks like the **** who sold it me has flashed it and then done the 'Fall update' which then produces this error.

Is this easy to sort out and if so how?

By the way i have never had a 360 apart, one of my mates has but he's not sure how to sort this other than re-flashing it with the original firmware which i've not got??

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

33 Comments

you can extract the key from the drive for safe keeping then run a differential flash with the original firmware then finally flash it with the latest firmware. if the key in the drive is the correct one then you should be ok. but i'm betting he/she tried to spoof a different make and failed. firmware is available from xbins (google it)

Original Poster

Thanks for that i'll show my mate what you have just said and hopefully he'll understand better what you mean :thinking:

lol its quite simple
basically MS changed the dashboard and it didn't like that the FW in the drive was a newer version than expected. the fix is to update the FW to the latest version 1.51. this recommends that the original FW is put back on the drive first. the latest flashers (jungleflash) do a differential flash (replaces everything in the FW except the key) automatically. once you have put 1.51 on you should be fine. he may have to spoof the drive depending on what make/model drive it is. there are plenty of guides around the net but the one that comes with jungleflasher is pretty good

Original Poster

wolf359;5113348

lol its quite simplebasically MS changed the dashboard and it didn't like … lol its quite simplebasically MS changed the dashboard and it didn't like that the FW in the drive was a newer version than expected. the fix is to update the FW to the latest version 1.51. this recommends that the original FW is put back on the drive first. the latest flashers (jungleflash) do a differential flash (replaces everything in the FW except the key) automatically. once you have put 1.51 on you should be fine. he may have to spoof the drive depending on what make/model drive it is. there are plenty of guides around the net but the one that comes with jungleflasher is pretty good

Cheers mate, have some rep :thumbsup:

You don't live near Rotherham do you

no mate sorry, i'm in south wales, i was in rotherham a couple of weeks ago though spent a drunken weekend with some friends and went to a couple of their gigs in the area, your mate will be able to handle it if he's any experience in flashing 360s it gets easier all the time (apart from the very newest drives)

I'll offer another possible scenario.

The NXE update didn't include the code to block unspoofed drives - that's been in circulation for quite a while now (at least 18 months).

Unless you know this 360 to be working, it's possible that someone's just swapped the DVD drive with another one from a different 360. It would explain why you're getting E66, but worse yet, it's extremely likely that if it's just been physically swapped out you won't have the correct DVD key in there (no DVD key - no playing games from disc). No amount of spoofing or restoring the drive will help - you don't even know what drive should be in there in order to spoof it with - at the last count it could be 1 of 4 drives with a total of 10 different versions in all.

Had the 360 been opened already? If so, I'd contact the seller and get your money back ASAP.

Original Poster

Ok pal thanks for the help.

Just so happens i was in Cardiff last week as well......... Working though so didnt get to experience the night life!

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5113466

I'll offer another possible scenario.The NXE update didn't include the … I'll offer another possible scenario.The NXE update didn't include the code to block unspoofed drives - that's been in circulation for quite a while now (at least 18 months).Unless you know this 360 to be working, it's possible that someone's just swapped the DVD drive with another one from a different 360. It would explain why you're getting E66, but worse yet, it's extremely likely that if it's just been physically swapped out you won't have the correct DVD key in there (no DVD key - no playing games from disc). No amount of spoofing or restoring the drive will help - you don't even know what drive should be in there in order to spoof it with - at the last count it could be 1 of 4 drives with a total of 10 different versions in all.Had the 360 been opened already? If so, I'd contact the seller and get your money back ASAP.

Yes it looks like its been opened as the casing around all the holes at the back are disformed :?
So is it worth trying to do the firmware thing first or just try get my money back?

steevieboy4u;5113492

Yes it looks like its been opened as the casing around all the holes at … Yes it looks like its been opened as the casing around all the holes at the back are disformed :?So is it worth trying to do the firmware thing first or just try get my money back?

Get your money back - don't be surprised if you get an excuse why he won't do it. I reckon he's knowingly sold you a non-working 360.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5113507

Get your money back - don't be surprised if you get an excuse why he … Get your money back - don't be surprised if you get an excuse why he won't do it. I reckon he's knowingly sold you a non-working 360.

Thanks for that advice, looks like someones going to be getting a mouthful when i see them next!

Repped :thumbsup:

yes sounds like you got a random dvd drive in there, which isnt paired to the mobo

Original Poster

ohdaesu;5113572

yes sounds like you got a random dvd drive in there, which isnt paired to … yes sounds like you got a random dvd drive in there, which isnt paired to the mobo

Yep thats what i'm beginning to think now, shame it's not an easy fix though. As its the 360 premium with HD, all leads and power supply, wireless controller and a game :?

as above it may be the wrong drive, but you'll get the same error if its the correct drive just the wrong FW. its not going to cost anything to try to reflash, and you may be lucky, failing that its get your money back or sell the parts seperately on fleabay

wolf359;5114282

as above it may be the wrong drive, but you'll get the same error if its … as above it may be the wrong drive, but you'll get the same error if its the correct drive just the wrong FW. its not going to cost anything to try to reflash, and you may be lucky, failing that its get your money back or sell the parts seperately on fleabay

What do you mean by 'wrong firmware'?

Get your money back asap mate

no drive key = expensive dvd player

Original Poster

strike;5114727

Get your money back asap mateno drive key = expensive dvd player

Will be doing just that, just wondering what waffle he is going to try and say when i tell him all ive found out on here :thumbsup:

Xb0xGuru;5114654

What do you mean by 'wrong firmware'?

this error can occur if the custom FW was an older version. when they updated the dashboard some time back it caused some sammy drives with older firmware to display this error.

xbox-scene.com/xbo…php

its discussed in that post.
it could well be the wrong drive for that console but usually they boot to the dashboard and simply won't play games. it could also be that the key is corrupted. either of those will make it worthless but it could simply be that its one of the affected drive/FW combinations in which case simply putting the latest FW on will fix it

wolf359;5115231

this error can occur if the custom FW was an older version. when they … this error can occur if the custom FW was an older version. when they updated the dashboard some time back it caused some sammy drives with older firmware to display this error.http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEykFEVpEZylAPOKEz.phpits discussed in that post.it could well be the wrong drive for that console but usually they boot to the dashboard and simply won't play games. it could also be that the key is corrupted. either of those will make it worthless but it could simply be that its one of the affected drive/FW combinations in which case simply putting the latest FW on will fix it

We're talking ages ago when the firmware was Xtreme and not iXtreme (the article's date is 31 October 2006). If this was the problem, you'd need a launch-day 360 with a very old firmware on it and not been updated at all (until now). All very improbable.

If it was just the key (and the drive version matched the data in the NAND), you would still get to the dashboard, just not be able to play games from disc.

i've done dozens of 360s that were flashed when they first came out and had never been redone until they had a problem (usually RROD) you'd be amazed how many people flash them and never worry about the firmware again. i agree its unlikely, but it is a possibilty. one easily checked

wolf359;5117088

i've done dozens of 360s that were flashed when they first came out and … i've done dozens of 360s that were flashed when they first came out and had never been redone until they had a problem (usually RROD) you'd be amazed how many people flash them and never worry about the firmware again. i agree its unlikely, but it is a possibilty. one easily checked

It would have to have been flashed before the date on this news item (since it was discovered AFTER), meaning it was done 10 months after launch and the dashboard not updated since.

There's an easy way to settle this - steevieboy4u, what's the manufacturing date on the 360?

Sorry, all good info, but In this scenario I would side with xboxguru, bet the drive has been swapped and no firmware flash attempt made, so u won't have any key in order to make this ever work

DudeyGeeza;5118442

Sorry, all good info, but In this scenario I would side with xboxguru, … Sorry, all good info, but In this scenario I would side with xboxguru, bet the drive has been swapped and no firmware flash attempt made, so u won't have any key in order to make this ever work

Cheers :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5118333

There's an easy way to settle this - steevieboy4u, what's the … There's an easy way to settle this - steevieboy4u, what's the manufacturing date on the 360?

mfr date = 13-09-2006
Hope this doesn't cause out and out war

lol
no not war
i just feel its worth you actually trying to flash it before giving up on it

Original Poster

wolf359;5120396

lolno not war :)i just feel its worth you actually trying to flash it … lolno not war :)i just feel its worth you actually trying to flash it before giving up on it

I agree as i've got nothing to lose, i can't take it back until Sunday anyway. I'll also then learn how to flash 360's for myself ;-)

steevieboy4u;5120210

mfr date = 13-09-2006Hope this doesn't cause out and out war

Wow the guy charged you 75 pounds for an almost 3 year old console
that doesn´t even work. I can´t believe people like that.
Get your money back. Like the other guys said, you probably won´t have any luck
gettin it to work, ever (if he´s swapped the drive). And it´s not worth the hassle anyway.
The guy lied to you and you shouldn´t have to correct his mistakes.
Buy a new arcade console once you got your refund, at least you get warranty then (plus hdmi and the new chipset etc) and
know that it works They´re only about 100 pounds now

If you cant get it sorted & cant get your money back sell everything separate on ebay & you'll probably make a profit as this is what I did recently :thumbsup:

steevieboy4u;5120210

mfr date = 13-09-2006Hope this doesn't cause out and out war

lol, not at all - it means you should either have a Samsung or a Hitachi drive in there.

Check this page to see which one:

gmodz.ca/con…d=8

wolf359;5120396

lolno not war :)i just feel its worth you actually trying to flash it … lolno not war :)i just feel its worth you actually trying to flash it before giving up on it

steevieboy4u;5120589

I agree as i've got nothing to lose, i can't take it back until Sunday … I agree as i've got nothing to lose, i can't take it back until Sunday anyway. I'll also then learn how to flash 360's for myself ;-)

I disagree - give this guy any reason not to refund you and he'll take it. The moment YOU open it up he can decline a refund, even if it's been opened before. There's a chance that you cannot flash the drive and actually stop it from working altogether. If it IS a Samsung drive, you'll need a VIA 6421 SATA controller card to have any chance of flashing it.

Original Poster

Good point, i'm not going to have the chance this week to mess about with it anyway so will just be taking it back.

I'll post what he has to say when i confront him on Sunday :whistling:

Original Poster

Got my money back with no arguements at all

Went up to the bloke and put it down in front of him and said it's not working and no way could it have been working when he gave it to me.
He asked what is up with it.
I explained and he said sorry, i only got it last week (yeah really!) and said he'd have to sell all the items seperately and then he gave me my money back.
Next time i'll be abit more cautious and also check the casing to see if its been opened or not.

Anyway thanks all for the advice it was appreciated :thumbsup:

A happy ending

I'm glad you got it all sorted - :thumbsup:

Like a fairytale

and they lived happily ever after

Original Poster

Cheers fellas
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What an absolute disgrace2152
    2. Better watch out for these...913
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763971
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846086

See more discussions