Groups
    EXPIRED

Xbox 360 WITH Extended Warranty

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Xbox 360, and was dissapointed to find that after much care and little play, the machine died on me. Needless to say i would like to buy another 360, but not without a comprehensive extended warranty.

So i ask of you, fellow HUKDealers, can anyone please find the best deal on a Premium Xbox 360 with extended warranty?

Woolworths have the Premium console, extra official pad and PGR3 and PES6 for £270. The warranty for four years is £103, so it comes to £273. The Amazon deal looks best, but i cant find anything about an extended warranty anywhere. I have sent them an email regarding it-i would be suprised if they dont offer one, as im sure you all know when you buy a TV or appliance on the High Street they always try to sell you the extra warranty or extended guarantee.

The only things the deal must have are:

1. Console must be replaced or original cost refunded-i dont want a repair/refurb.
    2. Manufacturer must have a reasonable reputation (so not PixMania).
    3. Accidental damage cover is not necessary, but preffered.

And if possible an extra official wireless controller. I dont really care about games, unless like the Amazon deal they are free, as i already have loads, i just need the console.

Finally, to anyone reading this who is thinking of buying a 360, or has had one break, dont buy without a warranty, and for the first twelve months it is the manufacturers responsibility, despite what they might say. The actual failure rate is estimated as being as high as 61%!

Many thanks all.

Andysan

21 Comments

Argos do a prettuy goo garantee, about £35-40. For 3 years.

The actual failure rate is estimated as being as high as 61%!

Statistics. Lol.

No :]

I just bought a 360 & inside was an application form for an extended 2 year warranty for £59, so you could get the Amazon 1, you get 1 years warranty anyway & just extend that to 3 years for an extra £59, that's what I did, it definatly is 3 years in total, because I have the paperwork & it says cover till 2010

The 61% failure rate does give a good representation of the 360 failure rate - just becuase ur 360 is still working doesnt mean that the 61% figure is wrong - it will just break 2 weeks later. I brought a 360 and within two weeks it stopped working, so i returned it and now im saving for a PS3. Im actually glad the 360 had broke as i brought it as an impulse buy thinking it was a good bargain eventhough i knew after i ordered i shouldnt have ordered it due to me not having a lot of money.

Despite this i might actually buy a 360, depedning on how much i have saved up - but this time warranty is a must!

I think 61% failure rate is a bit of an overestimate, my launch console died a few weeks back after being 14 months old and Imanaged to get Microsoft to fix it for free plus I got a free month xbox live card also

It's a bit hit and miss whether MS will fix an out of warrenty machine for free or charge you £83, if they would have not fixed for free I would have not paid the £83 repair fee for a machine that obviously has an inherent fault which MS won't own up to

deard69

I just bought a 360 & inside was an application form for an extended 2 … I just bought a 360 & inside was an application form for an extended 2 year warranty for £59, so you could get the Amazon 1, you get 1 years warranty anyway & just extend that to 3 years for an extra £59, that's what I did, it definatly is 3 years in total, because I have the paperwork & it says cover till 2010

Was that warranty deal an Amazon offer, or a Microsoft one?

stevehayter

Was that warranty deal an Amazon offer, or a Microsoft one?

The 2 year extended warrenty off in the box is via Microsoft

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all,

Firstly, i dont recommend the MS warranty to anyone, its not worth the paper its written on in my opinion-they only repair your console or replace it with a refurb, and the majority or replacements end up going back.

The 61% figure i came up with is the result of a survey from 360 Gamer, a popular Xbox website, which basically asked if your 360 had broken or not. 61% said yes, however this will be inflated from the actual figure, as i only found the survey after my Xbox had broke and was searching for info on faulty Xbox's on Google-those with working Xbox's arent likely to take notice of the survey, and therefore the figure is probably wrong.

Still though, when MS and Sony say that their machines are futureproofed for five years or more, it doesnt look good from Xbox's breaking with 18 months. It makes me want to buy a PS3, as they look a lot stronger, but theres none in the stores for me to try anywhere, which i think is pretty stupid on Sony's behalf.

The Argos warranty looks very good-its poorly worded though, is it three years from the date of purchas,e or three years after the first year? You get twelve months with the retailer with anything you buy anyway, so its a bit cheeky saying its three years from the day you purchase if thats what it means, as its only two years really.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Many thanks all for your help, it is appreciated.

Ton's of PS3's in shops near me, looks like they cannot shift any

Does it say how many people used the survey to obtain 61%, apparantly the 360 elite suffers from the ring of death as they are using the same chip as the current 360's but are replacing it soon.

MS do have a poor customer service and it does not help having an indian call centre as your lucky if you actually speak to someone that speaks good english and they seem to read out of a manual of faults to sort a problem out

Original Poster

Aye, its not selling at all well is it, and the lack of third party support puts me off it-can anyone say that they have played both consoles please, and that one is better than the other?

Give the PS3 a few months and hopefully they will have a good list of games, think one of the selling points will be Gran Turismo and MGS4. Apparantly some PS3 exclusives have been lost by Sony like Devil May Cry 3 which is also being produced for the 360.

If the PS3 gets a decent amount of quality games I may also get one and play along side with my 360

Not played on a PS3 but I would say the 360 is the best at the moment due to the volume of good games out at the minute, that's my opinion but others may say different

I personally would say that the 360 is better for the price you pay. I really dont like it how the ps3 controller doesnt come with rumble and its extremely lightweight which makes it feel cheap. Obviously you dont get rumble because of the motion sensors which to my experiance isnt the best.

What i've done is bought my 360 from GameStation, it broke last month (i got it at xmas) and got a brand new one no questions asked, they guy told me they had had 8 xboxs returned in that one day. But from getting my new xbox i was given a new reciept and thus getting a new 1 year warranty. So around every 9 months or so ill try and get a new xbox meaning i should always have a warranty.

Original Poster

Right, ive decided what im gonna do guys.

Firstly, i had my original XB from Woolworths, and when it broke they refunded me my money no questions asked (they didnt even open the box to see what was inside, could have been house bricks for all they knew). I originally paid £299 for the console with PGR3 and an extra official wireless pad.

Now they have the same deal but with PES6 aswell for £269 today only. 4 years new for old warranty on top of this is normally £103, but i already have something else insured with them, so i get 10% off, which comes to £89 (i reckon £90 but i wont argue). So for £60 on top of my original spend im getting an extra 4 years warranty on top of the standard 12 months, making it five years cover, plus a £20 game. Accidental damage is included too! Seems like a good deal to me.

The Argos deal is for three years only, one of which is the first so really its only two, and only accidental damage cover for the first.

Thanks all for your help +support. I'm off to the shops!

Tatey

I personally would say that the 360 is better for the price you pay. I … I personally would say that the 360 is better for the price you pay. I really dont like it how the ps3 controller doesnt come with rumble and its extremely lightweight which makes it feel cheap. Obviously you dont get rumble because of the motion sensors which to my experiance isnt the best.What i've done is bought my 360 from GameStation, it broke last month (i got it at xmas) and got a brand new one no questions asked, they guy told me they had had 8 xboxs returned in that one day. But from getting my new xbox i was given a new reciept and thus getting a new 1 year warranty. So around every 9 months or so ill try and get a new xbox meaning i should always have a warranty.

Are you suggesting that you will take your xbox back regardless of whether it is broken or not? just to claim a new warranty.

If you are then you are doing consumers a great disservice.

it seems like he has said that "with the refunded" money he had retreived the from the first xbox, he is going to buy the new one from woolworths. Well thats how i read it?

:):whistling: :-D

bob_regis

Are you suggesting that you will take your xbox back regardless of … Are you suggesting that you will take your xbox back regardless of whether it is broken or not? just to claim a new warranty.If you are then you are doing consumers a great disservice.

Thats not whats hes saying at all, stop trolling.

A lot of folk seem to forget that just because something has a 12 month warranty that if it breaks outside that warranty period then they are stuck.

Total fiction

The sale of goods act kicks into place and I make no apology for cutting and pasting the excellent article from Alan Wilson who wrote this for the Guardian. Just make sure you buy from a reputable retailer and pay on your credit card.

I have got refunds/replacements on articles such as a PS1 (remember those!) and Dyson hoover (rubbish) amongst other things.

Manufacturer's guarantees do not replace your basic shopping rights outlined in the Sale of Goods Act, which allow you to claim against the retailer if you buy faulty goods. In fact, the manufacturer is legally obliged to draw your attention to the legal rights under the act.
    Consumers are generally better off pursuing Sale of Goods Act rights against the retailer, as these are stronger than those contained in a manufacturer's guarantee and last for up to six years from the date of purchase. The goods you buy must be reasonably durable and of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose.

Big-ticket electrical appliances such as iPods, washing machines and dishwashers should be expected to last for several years. You should be able to claim compensation from the retailer if they break down within that period as long as they have been used normally. Your rights do not come to an end after 12 months simply because the manufacturer's guarantee has expired.

Refunds, remedies and replacement
    If you discover a fault in the first few months you are entitled to reject the goods and demand a refund from the retailer. After that period, you can ask for a range of remedies including repair, replacement and a refund of part of the price. In the first six months, you do not have to prove the goods were faulty when they were supplied, as this will be presumed by law.

Another more controversial type of warranty is the extended warranty offered by retailers at the point of sale for an extra charge. They are essentially contracts that cover you for the cost of repairs or a replacement and typically extend the manufacturer's guarantee by up to four years. Some also include protection against accidental damage and, in a few cases, insurance against theft.

Extended warranties have come under fire from consumer groups such as Which? for being poor value for money. They can cost up to 50% of the purchase price of the item they cover and many are bought as a result of a hard sell. Some sales staff give the impression that you must take out an extended warranty immediately, but it makes more sense to shop around and think about whether it is actually necessary.

You should think long and hard before buying an extended warranty. You will be protected against technical faults developing at no extra cost for the period of the manufacturer's guarantee. And your household insurance may offer cover against any accidental damage. Moreover, your shopping rights under the Sale of Goods Act entitle you to claim redress for inherently defective goods for up to six years.

It is important to weigh up the likely cost of repairing your appliance against the cost of an extended warranty, particularly as modern electrical appliances are generally reliable. A recent Which? survey found that 81% of washing machines did not break down at all in the first six years. Your appliance may need to break down three or four times within three years to get value from an extended warranty.

how do you check if its in warranty

jim4571

how do you check if its in warranty

Just check your receipt and if it was purchased within the last 12 months your still in warrenty

I managed to get mine fixed free of charge down to MS messing up so I got away with not paying the £83 repair bill which is a rip off considering another company are fixing them for about £45 and they still must be making a profit

Original Poster

I think im still gonna purchase my extended warranty because despite what the sales of goods act says, who can say how long a product such as the Xbox 360 should last?

Nothing is set in stone at all, i could argue my Xbox should last at least four or five years, many would agree, the retailer may disagree. Thats why products have a twelve month warranty as standard, and not different ones. With a guarantee/warranty, i can say i have paid for insurance on this item for X years; its broken so fix it.

IMHO the sales of goods act is very ropey, except for forcing retailers to refund/replace within the first twelve months instead of pawning you off to the manufacturer.

I've got both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (sold the Wii as I rarely play games with other people) there's little to choose between them in terms of graphical power and the PS3 pad does feel a bit lightweight, new triggers mean the pad tends to slip once in a while too but in terms of build quality the PS3 is head and shoulders above the 360, it just feels like it's worth £400 whereas the 360 feel a bit cheap & tacky beside it, PS3 is fairly quiet but the 360 makes a right racket and don't forget that the 360 games come on DVD's whilst the PS3 discs come on blue ray discs which have 10 times the storage capacity.

I guess the crucual thing is - What do you want to do with it? There are far more games available for the 360 than the PS3. The likelihood of format exclusives seems to be a thing of the past (barring first party games of course) but if you want a future proof media centre player then you're proabably better off getting a PS3, that said my launch 360 recently went to the elctrical graveyard in the sky and I'll be damned if i'm paying MS £85 to fix a fault of their own making so I've told em to shove it - At some point in the future I'll buy a pre-owned console with a decent warranty and send it back every 11 months for a replacement but I'll not buy a new 360 product again in my life - They've made enough money out of me already.

And if the poster above is advocating swapping a faulty console with a new one hoping that it doesn't get checked when he/she returns it - then good on them, serves MS right for fobbing us all off with dodgy goods...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nightmare with BT over Broadband22
      2. Easyjet - book now or wait?68
      3. Monitor for console gaming reccomendations11
      4. Biscuit addiction815

See more discussions